Clutch Slippage Question

RLeav20717

So after about 700 bucks worth of work done to my bike over at IP, came back and was running great.

Rode it around with a friend for about an hour or two..I noticed in 5th/6th gear when I would give the bike throttle, it would rev high for a moment or two, then go back to normal and start picking up speed.

After I got home from the ride, I'm basically now stuck in 1st, but the bike wont go past 10mph, it will only rev up, no matter what gear its in...

Would this be a simple case of a slipping clutch, and if so, would this be the solution? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Motorcycle-Clutch-Friction-Kit-NEW-/380684194150?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3ABandit&hash=item58a28bd166&vxp=mtr

Thanks dudes/ladies

Sounds like a bad clutch to me.

What services did IP do?

Of course as soon as I go look for the work order I can't find it..

Basically cleaned carbs, synced, new boots, new plugs, oil change, new throttle cable(s), I'll go look for the order in the afternoon

Sounds like the clutch pack is giving up. I'd install a new cable ( or flush/bleed if hydro ) just to freshen them up too, would suck to put in a new clutch only to have control issues afterwards

Little quick to jump the gun... Just because they changed the oil, doesn't automatically make it their fault the clutch went out...

*positive repped you on accident, oh well.. Not used to mobile site yet lol

Well if it was in there for a tune up and a few other things, and then it is running worse when you get it back after spending $700.....I call that a dis-service.

Little quick to jump the gun... Just because they changed the oil, doesn't automatically make it their fault the clutch went out...

*positive repped you on accident, oh well.. Not used to mobile site yet lol

I'm not personally saying that. What I'm saying is, if you had regular oil in it and switched to synthetic, in some bikes that will cause clutch slippage.

I'm not personally saying that. What I'm saying is, if you had regular oil in it and switched to synthetic, in some bikes that will cause clutch slippage.

Not saying it isn't the oil, but to jump the gun with zero details of the problem and directly blame IP, is jumping the gun in my mind... My response wasn't directed towards the question of oil, just at the automatic response blaming ip

Well if it was in there for a tune up and a few other things, and then it is running worse when you get it back after spending $700.....I call that a dis-service.

He says it was running great, not worse. Even rode it for several hours. I doubt a tune up ruined his clutch... Now, the oil change, maybe? Doubtful but maybe. Hence why people are asking what oil is in it. Without any details, why just blame ip? Maybe they always do his oil? What if it's the same oil that's always been in it? Without clarity, you can't place blame. They cleaned carbs and plugs in it, it's not like they changed the clutch and it broke down on the way home... There's way too many factors to place blame with the few details the op mentioned. The clutch could have already been bad and not showing symptoms.. Everything "runs great" until it doesn't.

He says it was running great, not worse. Even rode it for several hours. I doubt a tune up ruined his clutch... Now, the oil change, maybe? Doubtful but maybe. Hence why people are asking what oil is in it. Without any details, why just blame ip? Maybe they always do his oil? What if it's the same oil that's always been in it? Without clarity, you can't place blame. They cleaned carbs and plugs in it, it's not like they changed the clutch and it broke down on the way home... There's way too many factors to place blame with the few details the op mentioned. The clutch could have already been bad and not showing symptoms.. Everything "runs great" until it doesn't.

They used 10W40, from looking at the invoice..

IP is taking it back and looking at it again, no charge, just to make sure they were not at fault for any work done to the bike.

IP/(Sean) has been very helpful and cooperative with me, and I will definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome.

• Upvote 1

I've had some issues when taking my bikes to IP, but they've always fixed them and I left with the bike running better than before (in the long run).  IP isn't cheap, but I think they do the work correctly, and if they don't get it the first time they will before all is said and done.

If the clutch is bad, it was probably bad when it was taken in.  If it's something they did, they'll fix it.  That's been my experience.

Just to throw out an update..

IP came and picked the bike up for no charge..and took a look at it...said my clutch had no 'free-play' in it, and adjusted it accordingly.

Also went ahead and took a look at the plates and said they looked fine and did not need replaced.

Took over a week to get it back, but when its all said and done..the bike is back, paid 40 bucks, and I'm back out riding again. 

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.  (and IP is good in my books)  (<--weird idiom...not sure why i thought of that)