Best Smartphones?

Kent2406

Just listen to everyone in this thread that has a droid/google based phone. Daily hard resets, crashing, bricking worthless after 6 months update update update. Not everyone's experience but u hear it enough to make u worry. Yes apple may not be at the forefront when it comes to innovation but I'd rather be 6 months behind with a phone that works consistently than a worthless paperweight.

Another thing to consider is accessories. Before the 5 there wasn't a gas station, Rest stop and even vending machines that sold accessories. Forget your charger, throw a rock and there's a store that sells them. One of the biggest benefits.

That's a plus in my eyes to releasing a new phone once a year instead of what seems like every 6 weeks.

Call whatever you want, It's what I get, and not uncommon for other final gen northstar eldorado drivers

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/141578-2001-eldorado-esc-mpg.html

Interesting that even the current 6 cylinder offerings are only getting 17-26 mpg, so I am still calling bullshit. For you to say your 300 hp caddy can match what my Subaru gets is ludicrous. Of course you are known for saying ludicrous things. Maybe the Droids do in fact outsell the iphone worldwide, but boy do I sure hear allot of friends that I have bitch about them.

Interesting that even the current 6 cylinder offerings are only getting 17-26 mpg, so I am still calling bullshit. For you to say your 300 hp caddy can match what my Subaru gets is ludicrous. Of course you are known for saying ludicrous things. Maybe the Droids do in fact outsell the iphone worldwide, but boy do I sure hear allot of friends that I have bitch about them.

I don't know what to tell you, maybe move away from the city and your mileage will go up? Maybe your subaru is wasting fuel unecessarily in a transfer case... Maybe your driving habits are wasting fuel, Maybe your japanese motor is so strapped for torque that it has to keep winding way up the rev range before the car actually moves, I dunno...

Yes I've heard horror stories about some android devices, and have even had a bad experience with one myself, but most of my experience with them has been positive, from the first google phone(the G1) to my Droid 1, and now my Droid 4, they've all outperformed their apple counterparts.

Edited by magley64

Dunlop def Michelin and amsoil

Pirelli now bro, Pirelli.

Also if it's not being hand calculated for MPG, then I don't give a crap what anyone says their cluster is telling them.  Those things are known to be 10-20% off real life MPG.  It's all about feeling good when you see your ECU calculating out 30 mpg in reality getting 25.  My trucks about 2 mpg high, car is actually low though. 

I calculated by hand the first 2 months I had the car, and the cluster was dead on what I was calculating with premium.
It got 8-10% optomistic when i was running midgrade (I'm assuming it had something to do with compensating for preignition knock with later timing)

Just a bit of personal feedback.... All android devices

I liked my HTC Thunderbolt until they pushed out updates and made it a worthless brick. To the point I would smash it on my desk at work.

I loathe motorola because out of the box their UI/software was buggy. Every update they pushed made it worse. Got to the point I rooted it, and loaded my own custome ROM.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Samsung SIII. I would assume that the S4 is about the same. The only downside is the home button at the bottom, and makes it a pain to hit with one hand. As the S3/S4 's are pretty large.

The HTC one is pretty badass. But I couldn't justify the $$. If I were to buy one on someone else's dime, I'd go for that. However, HTC software updates are notoriously behind all of the competitor's. So when everyone else gets a ne flavor, expect to wait another year.

I did an upgrade on my old phone wanting the new latest greatest android os for it  and it made my phone a complete pos.  that's why I have a new one.  I will never ever upgrade the os like that again.  bug fixes or security patches maybe but the os, fuck no

Edited by serpentracer

Just listen to everyone in this thread that has a droid/google based phone. Daily hard resets, crashing, bricking worthless after 6 months update update update. Not everyone's experience but u hear it enough to make u worry. Yes apple may not be at the forefront when it comes to innovation but I'd rather be 6 months behind with a phone that works consistently than a worthless paperweight.

Another thing to consider is accessories. Before the 5 there wasn't a gas station, Rest stop and even vending machines that sold accessories. Forget your charger, throw a rock and there's a store that sells them. One of the biggest benefits.

That's a plus in my eyes to releasing a new phone once a year instead of what seems like every 6 weeks.

the guy i work with has an Iphone4 and doesn't care for it.  and I've never had to reboot my phones before.  I think that has more to do with manufacture than the os

Edited by serpentracer

I've never had many issues with android based phones and currently have the Razr Maxx. Everything has been fine for me except for the speaker getting blown but it was covered under warranty. 

If you want a phone that does what you need it to and don't care much about messing with it then the iphone will probably be your best bet. They're not as great as they originally were but for some people the details don't matter much and they stick with what they know.

If you want to have a phone with more ability to customize and tweak things then an android phone will likely suit you well. As for the crashes it must be certain manufacturers because I've never had an issue with random crashing unless I was experimenting with different ROMs and such, but that's a whole different discussion.

I never understood all the pissing matches between people, they're different phones aimed at different users, why the hell does everyone feel the need to argue about it? Kent already said he doesn't want iOS so why bring them up?

Edited by nautical1

HTC Evo for last three years. Runs internet nearly identical to a desktop. Blown speaker and scratched camera lens have been my only issues. Dropped hard without a case to asphalt twice. Scars/dents but no screen cracks. Battery life is ok. Carrier is Sprint, which not many are fond of. Unlimited data for less than $100/month. I rarely sit at the computer desk anymore as I can do all I need from the phone.

Upgrading to a One if this sombitch would die already. My only current beef is memory...it just doesn't have enough. Could remedy with a larger msd card I guess.

Can't critique the iphones cause I've never used one, but have friends who've switched to IOS and aren't happy with it.

Edited by RCBS

My evo constantly drops WiFi signal when I'm 6 ft from my router and shits itself when I try to maximize a YouTube video. Its not an opinion dude, their shit doesnt work right. I'm on my 3rd phone in a year because of the issues I've been having. Maybe its the HTC sense software, idk. They make it nearly impossible to root their phones or I'd flash a custom Rom to it.

If you like to tinker/customize, look at Android phones. Though, in doing that, you can often create more problems for yourself. 

If you want something that may not be the most blingly screen, largest screen, or even fastest cpu, isn't as customizable but generally really works as advertised, get an iPhone.

But above all, go to all the stores and play around with them. 

I've been making a living writing Android and iOS apps the past few years. I've got a lot of devices, and lot of experience with them all. I prefer the iPhone and have it as my daily phone, because "it just works" and I've not the time nor interest in the tinkering (did that plenty with Linux boxes, building my own machines, overclocking and building servers to do things cheaper years ago). Though, I've often wished iOS would open up a bit with more ability to customize then what it does ATM. I realize why Apple shies away from offering that. For them, it makes sense.

Luckily, both Android and Apple are doing well, so there are multiple options for everyone and that should continue for the next few years.

I'd stay away from MS, Linux and Blackberry phones.

My evo constantly drops WiFi signal when I'm 6 ft from my router and shits itself when I try to maximize a YouTube video. Its not an opinion dude, their shit doesnt work right. I'm on my 3rd phone in a year because of the issues I've been having. Maybe its the HTC sense software, idk. They make it nearly impossible to root their phones or I'd flash a custom Rom to it.

You got a dud? Router issue? Virus? No such issues here. Can watch netflix out on the patio no problem.

the evo was a low end phone wasnt it?

Top shelf when it was released. Biggest screen, fastest processor, 8mp camera. I went from a Nextel I205 brick to the Evo. Technology shock to the system.

You got a dud? Router issue? Virus? No such issues here. Can watch netflix out on the patio no problem.

Top shelf when it was released. Biggest screen, fastest processor, 8mp camera. I went from a Nextel I205 brick to the Evo. Technology shock to the system.

I was thinking of the evo 3d thing that virgin mobile carried. fair but not great. the regular evo is a lot more of a phone

Edited by serpentracer

The old evo had its issues too, im talking about my evo lte, its running jellybean I think...maybe ics...anyway its a very common problem for the WiFi radios in them to be shit. All 3 I have owned did it. Def not my router, every other device in my house would be connected and my phone would go awol. I'd have to go into settings and have it scan and reconnect. One of them just one day decided it didn't have any service. Other people on the same carrier in the same building at the same time had service, but not my phone. It went on strike for ten hours then just came back online like no big deal. My fiance had the 3d evo and it was a steaming turd as well. You can stand by them if you like, but I've had 5 or 6 of their phones (mostly warranty replacements) and one of their tablets and they won't get another dime from me.

I was never a fan of htc phones...

That is one honest advantage to the apple, they have full control over the software and the hardware, so everything is compatible with everything else... Android can be run on so many different devices by different manufacturers that compatibility can become a big issue. App developers get something running flawlessly on a RAZR, and it might not work at all on a fascinate...

The old evo had its issues too, im talking about my evo lte, its running jellybean I think...maybe ics...anyway its a very common problem for the WiFi radios in them to be shit. All 3 I have owned did it. Def not my router, every other device in my house would be connected and my phone would go awol. I'd have to go into settings and have it scan and reconnect. One of them just one day decided it didn't have any service. Other people on the same carrier in the same building at the same time had service, but not my phone. It went on strike for ten hours then just came back online like no big deal. My fiance had the 3d evo and it was a steaming turd as well. You can stand by them if you like, but I've had 5 or 6 of their phones (mostly warranty replacements) and one of their tablets and they won't get another dime from me.

They don't build em like they used to? lol

I'm still running ice cream sandwich, I think. Don't pay much attention really. When an update becomes available, I download it. Im sure I would be pissed too if I'd had the problems you have. Not trying to defend HTC, just relaying my experience which has been fine.

Yet the iphones still outsell the droids. I am so disappointed that my iphone does not lock up, run slow or have shitty battery life.....truly truly sucks.

"Worldwide, all those companies making Android phones sell a lot more units than Apple sells of the iPhone, says IDC. In the fourth quarter of 2012, Android had more than 70 percent share, vs. 21 percent for the iPhone."

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Edited by SWing'R

"Worldwide, all those companies making Android phones sell a lot more units than Apple sells of the iPhone, says IDC. In the fourth quarter of 2012, Android had more than 70 percent share, vs. 21 percent for the iPhone."

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Hey...I have been wrong once before. :crazy:  I guess that considering everyone and their Mom makes Droids, it is still impressive how many iphones are sold.