Best Smartphones?

Kent2406

Alright y'all, I was recently promoted, and need to decide Monday what phone I want for my company phone. What phones do you like best?

I know what I don't want. Anything from Apple, cause I see them like Harleys. Snobby and overpriced.

It also needs to fit in my pocket. I don't want to be trying to cram a notepad into my pocket.

I'm thinking the Galaxy S 4. What do you think?

Edited by Kent2406

do one favor for yourself when you go to buy one.  DO NOT let the idiot salesteam talk you into a phone they recommend etc. 

they'll tell you it does everything great and come to find out it's a lousy ass phone with medocre capabilities.  this is the most annoying part about buying a phone that I came to find out.  did the research myself and I'm glad I did. 

I went with a HTC one

do one favor for yourself when you go to buy one.  DO NOT let the idiot salesteam talk you into a phone they recommend etc. 

they'll tell you it does everything great and come to find out it's a lousy ass phone with medocre capabilities.  this is the most annoying part about buying a phone that I came to find out.  did the research myself and I'm glad I did. 

I went with a HTC one

Go to the store this weekend and play. What carrier dies your employer use?fIf no Apple then yes an s4 or maybe an htc one.

Yeah, IT's going to order it for me Monday, so I won't have to deal with any sales guys, except for, I'm gonna do what Tonik suggest and go play. Verizon is our carrier.

Just a bit of personal feedback.... All android devices

I liked my HTC Thunderbolt until they pushed out updates and made it a worthless brick. To the point I would smash it on my desk at work.

I loathe motorola because out of the box their UI/software was buggy. Every update they pushed made it worse. Got to the point I rooted it, and loaded my own custome ROM.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Samsung SIII. I would assume that the S4 is about the same. The only downside is the home button at the bottom, and makes it a pain to hit with one hand. As the S3/S4 's are pretty large.

The HTC one is pretty badass. But I couldn't justify the $$. If I were to buy one on someone else's dime, I'd go for that. However, HTC software updates are notoriously behind all of the competitor's. So when everyone else gets a ne flavor, expect to wait another year.

Booo Verizon and 2yr contracts.

I use a rooted Galaxy S2 with a unlimited,  no contract GSM service

that uses Tmobile as it's backbone.  I know I know, tmobiles coverage isn't

the greatest, I get that, but it only runs me $49/mo ($54.20 after taxes) and

the company pays you commissions monthly for referring others to it.

Next month, and every month after (so long as my referrals remain members)

my service will cost me $0 and actually pay me about $5 ;)

My wife is on the same service and uses a LG Optimus L9.

Edited by SWing'R

Just a bit of personal feedback.... All android devices

I liked my HTC Thunderbolt until they pushed out updates and made it a worthless brick. To the point I would smash it on my desk at work.

I loathe motorola because out of the box their UI/software was buggy. Every update they pushed made it worse. Got to the point I rooted it, and loaded my own custome ROM.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Samsung SIII. I would assume that the S4 is about the same. The only downside is the home button at the bottom, and makes it a pain to hit with one hand. As the S3/S4 's are pretty large.

The HTC one is pretty badass. But I couldn't justify the $$. If I were to buy one on someone else's dime, I'd go for that. However, HTC software updates are notoriously behind all of the competitor's. So when everyone else gets a ne flavor, expect to wait another year.

+1. I think you'd be good to go with an S4 or HTC One. I have an S3 and love it, the S4 isn't too  much different. I've played around with the HTC and it was pretty nice too. I would definitely spend some time at the store playing with phones and make sure you like the set up of the software. I don't think IT would like it if you rooted your company phone and installed a custom ROM.

He asked about phones, not service. :)

Booo Verizon and 2yr contracts.

I use a rooted Galaxy S2 with a unlimited,  no contract GSM service

that uses Tmobile as it's backbone.  I know I know, tmobiles coverage isn't

the greatest, I get that, but it only runs me $49/mo ($54.20 after taxes) and

the company pays you commissions monthly for referring others to it.

Next month, and every month after (so long as my referrals remain members)

my service will cost me $0 and actually pay me about $5 ;)

My wife is on the same service and uses a LG Optimus L9.

"Go to the store and play." - I couldn't agree more. I don't like the Samsung S III or S IV, but many love them - to each his own. The HTC One is definitely my favorite at the moment, but it isn't available on Verizon yet. If I could wait till the new Droids come out, I'd probably wait to see how they stack up vs. the One. My most emphatic recommendation is to focus on battery life, especially if you get a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. If this is your first smartphone, I'd bet you'll be shocked by how short the uptime is compared to a standard/"feature" phone. BTW, congrats on the promotion.

"Go to the store and play." - I couldn't agree more. I don't like the Samsung S III or S IV, but many love them - to each his own. The HTC One is definitely my favorite at the moment, but it isn't available on Verizon yet. If I could wait till the new Droids come out, I'd probably wait to see how they stack up vs. the One. My most emphatic recommendation is to focus on battery life, especially if you get a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. If this is your first smartphone, I'd bet you'll be shocked by how short the uptime is compared to a standard/"feature" phone. BTW, congrats on the promotion.

^^^ Battery life.... the one and only issue I've ever had with my S2. 

You learn to adapt. Limit use of high drain activities and always have a charger cable in your car ;)

Best plans?

Cdubyah ;)

$49/mo...

- unlimited voice, txt/mms

- unlimited data at up to 4G up to 4GB then throttled to 2G but still unlimited

Carrier is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) of Tmobile, like Straight Talk and Family Mobile.

Company is called Solavei. Referal commissions/biz opp.

Edited by SWing'R

^^^ Battery life.... the one and only issue I've ever had with my S2.

You learn to adapt. Limit use of high drain activities and always have a charger cable in your car ;)

Agreed, you learn to adapt (I do so by carrying a spare battery with me all the time, and often carrying a small portable battery charger), but I think it absolutely sucks to spend a bunch of money on a great phone, some ridiculous monthly service fee for data, and then not be able to really enjoy it all because the phone dies after 3 or 4 hours of "screen on" time. Without a doubt, battery technology is woefully behind everything else that goes into smartphones.

Agreed, you learn to adapt (I do so by carrying a spare battery with me all the time, and often carrying a small portable battery charger), but I think it absolutely sucks to spend a bunch of money on a great phone, some ridiculous monthly service fee for data, and then not be able to really enjoy it all because the phone dies after 3 or 4 hours of "screen on" time. Without a doubt, battery technology is woefully behind everything else that goes into smartphones.

I got one of them battery tube things, they work nice in a pinch.

sParkSnare I see you too have a FZ6R, nice bike ;) I have two blue '09's in the garage.

(didn't mean to thread jack, just never noticed anyone else with a FZ6R here before)

Edited by SWing'R

BTW, congrats on the promotion.

Thanks man! Life's about to change tremendously for me. It's the shot I've been waiting for. I've gone from just another designer in the engineering department to the "Director of Distribution". All our truck drivers, equipment, maintenance garage, shipping and receiving, and one of the largest budgets in the company, will be under my control, starting Monday. It also helps that I've increased my salary by half! I'm pretty excited!

I have an HTC DNA and love it. It's a larger phone but not huge. It's quick and the display is really good. Good features and options. The size makes it good for bills, web browsing, movies, etc. My only complaint is the stock keyboard but I use Google keyboard now which is much better. Oh and the battery doesn't last all that long but I either keep a charger or a battery pack with me so it's not a big deal anymore.

My wife had a moto RAZR and hates it. Always buggy and giving her problems. I don't know what the similarities are between it and the RAZR max are though.