Any It Consultants Here?

Casper

if it's oracle, give me a yell, anything else, I will screw it up for you....

In light of the overwhelming serious responses I'll throw my hat in the ring.

:D

But I am a PLM consultant if that helps.

PMs incoming.

I've done both consulting.

I was a consultant with Cap Gemini and Compuware.  At both Companies, I was an employee of the consulting company, and they covered benefits, sales, etc.  But they charged anywhere from $150-550/hour for my services ranging from Oracle, Project Management, SQL Server, etc.  I was the go to guy for problem sites and it was suit and tie every day.  I did not receive per hour anywhere close to what was being billed, but I had a guaranteed paycheck. 

For the short time I did independent consulting, we set up an LLC, then contracts were via the LLC("Goliath Solutions").  I can try to get Beti's cliff notes on it if you want, but we did it online from a website.  Since I worked at Columbus City Schools, I didn't have to worry about the health insurance.  I had a set hourly rate that had provisions for after hours and Holiday rates(please read that last one as "CHA-CHING!!!!"), etc.  Also, I had an insurance rider on the LLC that covered $1 million of damages.

The insurance rider wasn't as expensive as I thought, but pretty much required to cover your ass....let's make up a situation....hypothetically, Columbus State Community College contracts me for assistance(since I worked there for a while), and there is an IT manager, we'll call him "Clouseau".  Since Clouseau was an ass, I could see him saying that any downtime for systems that I may have worked on should be retro billed to me as a recoverable fee from CSCC.  The insurance rider would cover that, but I also worded the contract so that my work was hourly, and any outages for work performed were not at my expense.

Contact a small business attorney to have contracts reviewed(put them on a retainer) for CYA purposes. 

First rule of IT Consultants, no Q&A without a contract in place.

Sorry mate, it's for your own good.

I can tell you this much, my meeting with the donuts went amazingly well. 

I do believe we'll be doing business again in the near future. 

I always heard it as, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

Funny though either way. 

An accountant I used to work with changed it to fit this dumbass consultant that was hired where we used to work.

Your Son is a Consultant now.  hahahaha :)

Those that can, do. Those that can't consult. I am sure you will be a very successful consultant.

So what is your question Ben?  Im on a flight on my way back from Blackhat now and I guess I qualify as a Consultant. :)

Edited by flounder