Putnam 8/24/13....who's In?

Helmutt

I may be interested. I haven't ridden there since 2001. But I definitely have the itch to ride the big tracks again. Let me look at my life schedule. Who's putting on the event?

Ducati Indy and Ducati Louisville (commonwealth) are having shared day there on 8/19 for those that might stay in Indy all weekend for MotoGP and then head over to Putnam to finish off an awesome long weekend.  Checking on prices, but I think they are cheaper than STT.

Good call on checking on weather. I should be there if the weather is expected to be dry.

Exactly, I played the wet game at Putnam once.

That track has mad grip when dry, no grip when wet. Hell even dew covered turn 3-6 are slicker than shit

I may just plan to spend Friday - Monday at MotoGP and Putnam. Not sure I could come back for Friday. But I look forward to hauling ass around Putnam. Shouldn't take me long to get up to speed. I raced there more than anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, I played the wet game at Putnam once.

That track has mad grip when dry, no grip when wet. Hell even dew covered turn 3-6 are slicker than shit

What is it in the asphalt mix that creates this problem?  Some tracks have great grip dry and decent grip wet.  Some tracks are terrible wet.  Any ideas?

One would think that the tracks would be wise to this and require a specific mix when paving/repaving.

Edited by rubbersidedown

I'm no engineer, however, my opinion. Putnam is a very rough abrasive surface that in turn leads to great grip. In turn it also eats tires. I think since its a rough porous surface it lets the hold wetness a little longer maybe? Just what I've noticed

a lot of the problem with Putnam is is is very abrasive and eats tires.. as todd said.. normally this is great.. but Putnam was built as a car course first.. then motorcycles came on it.. putnm still entertains more cars than bikes.. as well as unlike mid ohio they don't every really clean the surface so  rubber builds and not in the good way.. Putnam is still way better than mid ohio as far as wet grip.. but its still not to be messed with if you don't have too.. turn 4 and 8 will bite you hard in the morning with even a little cool weather looming.. but once the track is hot it never gets too hot like mid ohio

that being said.. I;ll be there the 8/10 then again on the 8/19(Control riding that day) might be able to swing 8/24 too... not sure yet though

Thinking about it. on it. Still find myself little nervous after the wreck last year though. Last chance this summer though if I'm not mistaken.

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

Just a heads up that we still have a few spots left in all group levels for this event. 

It's the last Putnam Park track day event for STT for the season, so get it while you still can! 

Edited by whatnow

I hope to see Joe & Marty at this trackday to snap some killer shots. Hopefully a couple of the best photogs in the biz can make us look half as good as the other threads boast around here!

I hope to see Joe & Marty at this trackday to snap some killer shots.

I'm not sure about Joe, but I asked Marty via FB when he posted about last weekend and he said he had "another obligation" on the 24/25th.

Later, Doug

Edited by Streetfighterkz