Any Jeep Mechanics Online?

Jcarlson

I need help finding the cooling fan relay on my 2003 Jeep Gr Chr LTD, 4.7L V8.  I've looked under the pass headlight - not there.  I've torn that plastic fascia all to hell and trust me it aint there.  I see the mounting holes where it goes, but the holes don't even look like a screw has ever been in them.

I've looked it up online.  Everything thing I read, every pic or illustration I see says under the pass headlight - NOT TO BE FOUND!!  I don't even see the wire for it.  I've crawled under the car - nothing.  You can even come see for yourself.

I owned a 2000 GR CHR Laredo before and that's where it was on that vehicle.

Does this yr/mak/mod even have one?  I bought a replacement so it must have one.  Is it in a different place?

Please help, I'm at wit's end with this and I need my Jeep!!

Thanks

Jim

They probably moved it. Or a previous owner moved it. Mine (2002) was under the passenger headlight. Can't reach it without pulling the front bumper or cutting a hole in just the right spot behind the headlight. It gets too hot there and the relay craps out. When the 2002 module/relay failed, the cooling fan would not turn off when the Jeep was shut off.

On some 2004 models, the module was eliminated and the computer determines when and what speed the fan should run. That usually means replace the fan motor.

I have heard various locations and stories on 2002, 2003, and 2004.

edit: 04 has two relays - one for high and one for low fan speed - located in the back of the PDC box.

Edited by ReconRat

Well like I say my prev 2000 Gr Chr Laredo had it under the headlight.  This one is an 03 Limited.  I purchased one from Advance auto and it looks like all the others I bought, I just can find the little sucker.

That's crazy that they mount them inside the bumper and then you have to pay shop fees of $300 or more when all it is is two tiny bolts and a wire

Well somebeech!!  Well I ended up taking it to Firestone since I couldn't find the damn thing and it was really getting hot.  Turns out the bottom left corner somehow was damaged and had a small leak causing it to overheat.  Long story short I need a new radiator and one new tranny line since it was rusted solid on there.  I get it back tomorrow to the tune of around $800.  Lucky me, huh?

Thanks Recon and Casper!!

Jim