Stp Fuel Treatment

mfs81

I'd think adding it that often to your vehicle is kinda overkill dont u think? For my car I was told to NOT use it by my tuner, I cant rememebr why thou something about it messes with the octane of the gas and can cause KR. For the avg joe vehicle thats not turbo'd or anything - I am not sure.

For the bike I dont see an issue with doing it maybe once every few months, but i kinda feel it's a waste of money to do it that often.

Seafoam ever dozen tanks, and I'll dump half a can.

as to additives the ONLY one worth a dam is Stabil Marine. helps with that bullshoot corn they put in our gas.

this bike is the first bike I have religiously put the stabil (got to be marine, its blue) into the tanks, started with lawnmower, other gadgets, everything is happier.

car museums run it as well, chainsaw competitor freaks swear by it too many positives, no negatives

Those additives are mostly mineral spirits. Stabil is mostly kerosene. I used to run sea foam in all my carbed bikes as an insurance sort of thing, better than pulling carbs off and cleaning, but I don't think they do much really.

I'd think adding it that often to your vehicle is kinda overkill dont u think? For my car I was told to NOT use it by my tuner, I cant rememebr why thou something about it messes with the octane of the gas and can cause KR. For the avg joe vehicle thats not turbo'd or anything - I am not sure.

For the bike I dont see an issue with doing it maybe once every few months, but i kinda feel it's a waste of money to do it that often.

that tuner isn't very smart because pretty much everywhere you buy gas has cleaners added to it now.  Marathon uses stp.  shell has their stuff, BP has theirs, chevron has techron  and so on.

Edited by serpentracer

Excuse me.... Its everyother month I add....

I've used Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment in my Concours since early on, 17,000 miles. I've started the Ducati on Startron. So far I like both and they're at least some protection from bad gas.

briggs and straton sends a bottle with every generator and pump  [marine stabil the blue, not the red], generac, tra-co racing engines others who build engines say its to protect from ethanol...dunno, I used to have problems with my weed wacker lawnmower generator etc if I left plain gas in there for 4 months..not anymore.

I think this is the darkside argument, no one is changing anyones mind, its popcorn time, LOL

p.s. did you know this summer (I think) gas will contain FIFTEEN % ethanol? got a 20 year old engine? be worried

That sucks, thanks for farm subsidies and idiot politicians, no one will ever convince me turning food into fuel is smart, or efficient 

• 2 weeks later...

that tuner isn't very smart because pretty much everywhere you buy gas has cleaners added to it now.  Marathon uses stp.  shell has their stuff, BP has theirs, chevron has techron  and so on.

I'm aware - which is why I believe he told me NOT to add anything else. I cannot rememebr his exact words, but I believe he stated that it brings the octane level of the gas down and a car that is tuned - is tuned for that octane gas. If it's just your DD etc - I dont think it would hurt every once in a while - I use see foam in my car - but I add it thru the break boosters, your only suppose to do that like everk 5k miles or more, the smoke coming out of the tail pipes is horrid!

I put a 1/2 can of seafoam in the first few tanks of the year, and stabil in the last few...

Haven't had any issues since I've started doing it and my bike is running great. (Needs tires, but it's running great)

• Upvote 2

Threads on this subject are a lot like "What brand of oil do you use?" or "Will switching from dino oil to synthetic oil make my gaskets and seals leak and dissolve all the old sludge in my engine?"  Everyone has an opinion....backed up by a statistical significance of 'n=1'.  If you're riding enough miles to empty and refill your tank every month or two, it's not likely you'll have fuel stability issues in that length of time.  All major brand gasoline suppliers put cleaner/additives in their fuel nowadays.  For winter storage or for periods of low use where the gas would sit in your tank longer than 2-3 months, it's probably wise--if you use fuel with 10 % EtOH--to add a stabilizer product to minimize phase separation.  As for the fuel injector cleaner products, I suspect it's a waste of money, but if you're adding it every 10-20K miles as the product specifies, the additional $3 or $4 a year isn't gonna send you to the poor house.