"who Wants This Dog?"

redkow97

Our foster dog is starting to wear out his welcome.

He's been with us for a couple of months now, and has made HUGE strides.  Pics and (outdated) info are here http://secondhandmutts.org/dodger/

the night we brought him home, we spent 2 hours trying to get him to come in the house.  He was terrified of us.  Dodger is still shy around new people, and will be scared of loud noises (runs if you drop something), but he warms up to people much quicker than he used to.

He's to the point with my wife and me that he comes when called, and will try to play with us like we're also dogs.  And Dodger LOVES other dogs.  He is probably 2-3 years old, but acts like he's 8 months old.

He runs with a sort of lack of coordination, like a baby deer...  It's pretty hilarious.  And while he's shy with people, he is fearless with our rottweiler.  I have seen Dodger charge across the back yard and (try to) tackle Kramer.  The two of them play constantly.  Dodger had also gotten along great with my friend's pug, and my mother-in-law's mexi-mutt.

He's house trained, up to date on shots, and he does well in a crate while you're at work. 

I like the little guy a lot, but we need a break from him, and he needs a permanent home.

I think the main reason he hasn't been adopted yet is that Dodger does not do well in crowds, so at adoption events, he hides under the table.  He's great in a group of 2-5 dogs, but beyond that, he is overwhelmed.   

I think he would do great with kids.  He'd probably run away from really young kids, and would take a while to warm up to older kids, but he NEVER bites.  Even that first night when I had to corner him and pick him up to get him inside.  He does not get protective, he just sort of admits defeat.

Edited by redkow97

Sad that someone fucked up the psyche of what is otherwise an awesome dog. Hope you find him a good forever home.

I am sure he has had some truamatic experiences with people, but my guess is that most of his trepidation is from being a stray.  Even now, he is very hesitant to take food from our hands, and does not like to be "caught" to be leashed, etc.   He's gotten 500 times better than he was, but it's clear that he has a long history of being baited with food, and had that go badly for him.  thankfully there are no physical signs of abuse, and he does learn to trust people he knows.

I think Ringo is looking for a new dog...           :eek:

That's funny, but it's not funny...

someone contacted the shelter about meeting Dodger this weekend or next week.  Given how poorly he reacts in unfamiliar settings, and how much he opens up around our dogs (okay, really only with MY dog.  My wife's dog is a cranky old man...), I think we're going to invite the potential adopter to our house.  Cross your fingers that this goes well ...and that the adopter doesn't come back later and steal all our shit!