Considering A Second Bike...

Steve Butters

Like tpoppa said, the CBR for street and I would get 2008+. My vfr is nothing like my 08 600rr.

Having just bought a 2010 CBR600RR, I'd be curious to hear how you compare the two.

I am trying to decide if I can live with it as my only bike, perhaps with Tracstar clip-ons  (There could be a SFV650 with major suspension improvements and hard bags for sale soon).  

Awesome thanks for the replies everyone... And for all the info Revel

Sounds like the Hondas are the way to go over the yamahas.. People here avg 80-90mph commuting (on highways, not city freeways),so wind resistance is semi important.. I'll check out both Hondas and see which feels better sitting on them

Edited by Steve Butters

Are you dead set on a sportbike? If all you're interested in for the 2nd bike is flat-out speed on the freeway (or long straights) you might find a "power cruiser" that will suit your fancy. Nothing screams "Torture!!!" to me more than a full-on sportbike on the highway.

As others have said, get what suits your fancy, but that sounds like pure hell in my opinion. Of course, I'm short as shit and can't reach the ground or bars on most motorcycles. Ergos may be completely different for the two of us.

II won't be commuting daily.. Just once or twice a week... But it'll be a fun bike to take out on the weekends and have fun on, or just those days I feel like playing a little harder... I'm kind of set on a sport bike since I already have the VFR for everything else... I don't see myself going to a cruiser any time soon... My vmax was fun, but I thoroughly enjoy riding something a little more smooth feeling... Power isn't everything or I'd find a busa... So, I'm not dead set on a supersport, but I'm strongly leaning that direction at this time

If you don't go with the Honda idea, I'd seriously entertain selling my '09 FZ1 for under $6Gs.  It's not currently listed anywhere for sale, but I've had it for a bit now--got it to replace my '07 FJR--but I'm just not "feelin' the love" and been thinking of shedding it soon.  Comfy upright ergos with 135+ RWHP liter motor grins and decent suspension.  Graphite (dark grey) with bronze wheels.  Motor all stock, but has Yosh CF slip-on, undertail clean-up with LED tail/brake/turn signals and mini-LEDs in front, Yamaha chin spoiler, Yamaha touring screen (+ stock screen), custom seat (+stock seat), adjustable levers (+ stock levers).  Just a tick over 4K miles, recent oil/filter change (Rotella syn, approx 400 mi), fresh DOT4 fluid F&R this spring, and still wearing the OEM tires (so you know it hasn't been beat on...but will need a new pair of shoes soon...if I was to buy new, I'd switch from the stock 190/50 to a 190/55 or even 180/55 for better turn-in).

If this floats yer boat, gimme a shout and I'll post some pix (don't have any right at the minute).  Lemeno.

Ciao--Bubba

EDIT:  MPG is in the high 30 - low 40 range, so not horrible.

Edited by Bubba

Funny that you post this. For the exact same reasons I am going to make a thread soon putting a feeler to trade my VFR for a sportbike.

VFR is great, but I feel like I am at the limit or am close to the limit of the bike in the turns. I also want something that would be a little more fun on a track day. I would like to keep it so my wife is a little more comfy while riding, but she really only rides twice a year ish. So looking for a 600cc of some kind.

Sorry for the side track, I know where you wre coming from. Good luck.

Sell the VFR and get two bikes. On fast and brutal and one comfy. VFR isn't a good starter bike for your significant other.

I understand desire for acceleration but AZ cops don't like bikes from what I could tell in my few visits.

VFR was my first bike.

I had ALOT of problems with low speed manuvers when I started. After I got going though I was ok. Going back I would have gotten something a little less top heavy.

Edited by Jester_

If you don't go with the Honda idea, I'd seriously entertain selling my '09 FZ1 for under $6Gs.  It's not currently listed anywhere for sale, but I've had it for a bit now--got it to replace my '07 FJR--but I'm just not "feelin' the love" and been thinking of shedding it soon.  Comfy upright ergos with 135+ RWHP liter motor grins and decent suspension.  Graphite (dark grey) with bronze wheels.  Motor all stock, but has Yosh CF slip-on, undertail clean-up with LED tail/brake/turn signals and mini-LEDs in front, Yamaha chin spoiler, Yamaha touring screen (+ stock screen), custom seat (+stock seat), adjustable levers (+ stock levers).  Just a tick over 4K miles, recent oil/filter change (Rotella syn, approx 400 mi), fresh DOT4 fluid F&R this spring, and still wearing the OEM tires (so you know it hasn't been beat on...but will need a new pair of shoes soon...if I was to buy new, I'd switch from the stock 190/50 to a 190/55 or even 180/55 for better turn-in).

If this floats yer boat, gimme a shout and I'll post some pix (don't have any right at the minute).  Lemeno.

Ciao--Bubba

EDIT:  MPG is in the high 30 - low 40 range, so not horrible.

appreciate it...but i live rather far away...im also not looking to make a purchase until probably august/september.

Streetfighter 848?  100lbs. lighter than the VFR and 132hp...  Stronger than the 600s/675 but lower than the 1000s.  Probably marginally more comfortable than a literbike.

i saw an 848 on CL today and was drooling over it...i might possibly consider one...not sure

Sell the VFR and get two bikes. On fast and brutal and one comfy. VFR isn't a good starter bike for your significant other.

I understand desire for acceleration but AZ cops don't like bikes from what I could tell in my few visits.

id like to eventually do this....once i get the new bike, i will probably look into selling the vfr and getting an fjr1300 to replace it. my girl really wants it though, so she might end up with it.

it wouldnt be her starter bike...i told her shes gotta start out on something smaller for awhile to get used to the controls and everything...but i think after shes been riding for a while, she can handle the vfr

as for cops not liking bikes, im not sure.....i got stopped the other day for a pretty serious offense, and while the guy was a complete dick to me during the stop, he did let me off with a warning......so who knows....honestly, it seems like you have to really piss off a cop to even get pulled over here....even the cops drive 20 over.....the main stops around here are illegal use of the HOV lane, not much else....i got stopped for having ohio plates (expired)....turns out its illegal to live and work in AZ and still have ohio plates and license, theres no grace period. my tags expired may 27th and i didnt get a paycheck until last friday the 15th ....my tags are fine now, but i was riding around on bad plates for a minute and he stopped me.....he said i was doing 85 (so was everybody else....even him), which i guess is criminal speeding here since its 20mph over...bad plates and equipment violation (fender elim) also.....he chewed me out for 10 minutes and let me go

i saw an 848 on CL today and was drooling over it...i might possibly consider one...not sure

Why might possibly?  You're basically getting their 848 superbike engine in a slightly more ergonomically friendly package that retails at half a grand cheaper ;-)

itll depend on whats available when the time comes, and on any reviews ...i havent looked into the 848 at all or the maintenance req etc

i saw one earlier for around 9 on the CL ap on my phone...dont see it now...i see some newer ones for around 11, and a nice 1098 for 12......but if i spent that much on a bike, the VFR would have to go to help finance it.....not sure i wanna get rid of it quite yet....ill look around when it gets closer and after i look into the maintenance req

Funny that you post this. For the exact same reasons I am going to make a thread soon putting a feeler to trade my VFR for a sportbike.

VFR is great, but I feel like I am at the limit or am close to the limit of the bike in the turns. I also want something that would be a little more fun on a track day.

Is that pic of you in the turn? The other hot jocks can chime in but if that is you and that is your current normal riding style, you have a lot more to extract out of the VFR in the turns by adopting better body position.

I got pulled over in phx once...popped a small wheelie, that cop nailed me to the wall. Ended up having to get an attorney and all, got away with a reduced criminal speeding charge and almost $2400 is court and attorney fees. That was on bell road and 35th ave.

You've got great roads heading north in both directions out of Scottsdale and Surprise. I miss my rides to Yarnell hill.

If you take the beeline hwy out of Scottsdale all the way to Payson, there's a good little cafe up there for breakfast.

Edited by dustinsn3485

Went to a Honda dealership today intent on checking out a cbr1000rr... Sat on it and sat on the cb1000r ...the cb was amazing. Super comfortable to sit on, should have plenty of power... It didn't even compare with the cbr in comfort or looks... It seems like an all around better bike.

After talking with my gf, she thinks I should spend a little more and get a brand new one. I won't need the VFR anymore, this bike seems plenty comfortable to commute on.

It costs more than I was budgeting for a new bike though... So I'm gonna have to wait until this fall to pick it up because I have a few other things I wanna pay up before I get a new toy. Probably list the VFR in august and try to pick this up in September. Can't wait.

Seems this bike only has like 15hp and 20ft-lb more than VFR, maybe 10mph top speed higher, and 20lbs lighter... But for some reason, it felt so much better.. It was thinner, less bulky, the weight was centered lower, feels way more nimble, and I'm pretty over the under tail exhaust.. What an awful setup for a street bike imo... Burns my ass in traffic lol... On paper they're very similar, but sitting on them, the cb feels so much nicer... And I actually like that it's not fully faired... The fairings are a pain sometimes... It won't have the punch of the cbr like I originally wanted, but I feel like it's going to satisfy my needs perfectly... The cbr I looked at was nice, but after sitting on both back to back, it was a no brainer

Edited by Steve Butters