New Yamaha Introduced

jschaf

I'm almost positive there was a guy in the garage next to me that had this. I'll have to double check with kyles pics from todays PTR in advanced but i'm 99% positive it was this.

should be a strong bike by the looks of it. im curious to see what everyone says once they get one

$8k MSRP?

man, I might actually finance a bike...

This is what the FZ8 should have been. Sleeving down an R1 motor doesn't cut the weight or width the way this does. 

I don't know why they can't just put a goddamn circular headlight on bikes these days, but other than that, I like it.  A lot.

I like it but am somewhat disappointed. An 848 duc males lots more power and with 1 less cylinder.

Too bad no z800 for us. Seems itd smoke the pants off the fz909

"lots" more power?

The highest i've seen the 848 list is around 135, and that's at the crank...   I would assume Yamaha can get more horsepower out of this engine pretty easily, but they're tuning it for torque.

$8k MSRP?

man, I might actually finance a bike...

This is what the FZ8 should have been. Sleeving down an R1 motor doesn't cut the weight or width the way this does. 

I don't know why they can't just put a goddamn circular headlight on bikes these days, but other than that, I like it.  A lot.

I agree, on this bike and some others that have just a single light, I don't mind it so much, but I absolutely hate what Triumph did to the Speed and Street triple headlights with the pentagon shaped lights... The double round lights on those bikes I feel like was sort of a trademark, and it definitely looked a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this in my head for a couple weeks but forgot the bike won't be available here for a while.  And I have a friend knocking on my door that wants to buy my Tuono.  Debating selling it for one of these but would really like an R model with upgraded suspension, brakes, and lightweight wheels.  Hmmmm...

Edited by wantahertzdonut

• 1 month later...

Cool bike for sure. Good to see more naked bikes and different offerings. Funny article test though. At 115hp and 67ft/lbs torque and they think in A Mode it would give an R1 a run for its money down low. Silly journalists...

I like the concept and will be interested in how it compares to the triumph. You can get an MV right now and check out their triple.

I just think it has some pretty inexpensive components. That's the only issue I see.

Cool bike for sure. Good to see more naked bikes and different offerings. Funny article test though. At 115hp and 67ft/lbs torque and they think in A Mode it would give an R1 a run for its money down low. Silly journalists...

I like the concept and will be interested in how it compares to the triumph. You can get an MV right now and check out their triple.

I just think it has some pretty inexpensive components. That's the only issue I see.

Inexpensive components are kind of expected at that msrp though.... This thing is super cheap, and you get what you pay for... Looks like a cool bike, but I think it would make a better secondary bike than primary...as much as I prefer yamaha to triumph, I think the triumph will stomp all over this thing in performance and overall satisfaction to ride... Price difference though might contribute some more sales to the yamaha

I wish this is how they did fz1s... Light weight, 1k motor, fully naked instead of faired in the front... Would have bought one over the Honda for sure... After riding a naked, I won't go back to anything else lol... So nice not having all the plastic out in front of you while riding

Inexpensive components are kind of expected at that msrp though.... This thing is super cheap, and you get what you pay for... Looks like a cool bike, but I think it would make a better secondary bike than primary...as much as I prefer yamaha to triumph, I think the triumph will stomp all over this thing in performance and overall satisfaction to ride... Price difference though might contribute some more sales to the yamaha

Very true, but unfortunately, a lot of the comic books that people read and judge for their purchases don't really use the component category as a level of comparison between units.  When you look at the MV, Triumph, Duc SF848 and this Yamaha, you can easily tell instantly what the differences are.  But, when you read the comic books, you aren't given the reasons why components and higher scale components add value and cost...

But you are dead nuts, man.

Seems like Yamaha is making clones of other companies marquee bikes lately.  This cloning the Speed Triple and the Bolt cloning the Sportster

It's less cloning and more making a unit that fits into a category that is climbing in sales.  Ducati, MV, Aprilia, Triumph and even Honda to a degree have been doing these things for years.  The market is getting stronger and Yamaha is looking at categories to excel in.  When you look at the MIC data, Yamaha is climbing in sales.  While Honda is losing outside the CBR500 and the NC700...  Suzuki is dead fish in the pond and Kawi is struggling.  So, Yamaha has some budget and is going to try and get into categories to keep them in the black.

"lots" more power?

The highest i've seen the 848 list is around 135, and that's at the crank...   I would assume Yamaha can get more horsepower out of this engine pretty easily, but they're tuning it for torque.

Have you seen a dyno chart?  The 115 they are claiming is most likely at the crank also.  I could be wrong, but I didn't see a dyno chart yet.  But you are right, the SF848 is about 132-135 at the crank.  And, if that is at the rear wheel, then yes it will be similar.  They both are similar weight dry 373 to 377 and similar torque 69 to 67.  HP at the rear wheel if that is what they are quoting will be similar also.  @118-120 on the Duc and 115 +/- on the Yamaha...  

The target was pretty specific as the MV falls into the same specs really...  I am still not sure if the 800 motor is the new Triumph motor or the Yamaha powerplant.  They are claiming 125 HP which would nail it directly with the Yamaha.

But at the end of the day, the cost is a factor with the Yamaha.  There is typical Japanese design here and lends to show there is no soul in the bike like the MV 800 and SF848 and Street Fighter.  But, it has a nice tag and will have a sweet motor.  A great entry into this category of machines and will be a great choice.

Still waiting on a yamaha competitor to the busa and zx14... If such a bike ever hits the streets, I'll be picking one up... I want to get a second bike to use for the drag strip some time, and as of now, it's gonna be a busa... But the yamaha fanboy in me will swing me towards the yamaha version if they ever create one

It's 115 crank.. So what's that? 98 or so at the wheel? It'll be a fun bike, and probably pretty quick, but I wouldn't buy it based on power... I see this thing as kind of a gimmick to drum up sales... If they raised msrp up 2k and priced it a hair under 10 and added more quality components, I think it would be a more solid option... Although, nakeds don't sell well here anyways, maybe that's the price they determined was needed to actually drum up sales

• 3 weeks later...

It's 115 crank.. So what's that? 98 or so at the wheel? It'll be a fun bike, and probably pretty quick, but I wouldn't buy it based on power... I see this thing as kind of a gimmick to drum up sales... If they raised msrp up 2k and priced it a hair under 10 and added more quality components, I think it would be a more solid option... Although, nakeds don't sell well here anyways, maybe that's the price they determined was needed to actually drum up sales

For most buyers skimping on suspension and saving $2k is a better marketing tactic than having top line components. If your looking for top line suspension and other pieces then you probably will be more interested in the Duc and Triumph R or just go with an R1. I think its a good strategy for Yamaha though it may not be what you really want.

Its a nice looking bike. Seem to be a hot category right now and I can see why. I don't understand the interest from most riders in supersports. Naked and similar models are a much better fit for the average rider.

Craig 

Since the FZ-09 is going to be compared against the Street Triple by every motorcycle mag...hopefully, Yamaha releases a FZ-09R next year with better brakes and suspension for $8999. 

Last I heard. the Street Triple R outsells the standard Street Triple.

Impressive.  Thinking back on the old Kaw 500 Triple, it being a screamer for its time in the late 60's, the new one has like 20+ more ft lbs of torque. and it has about 8 ft lbs of torque more than the old 750 Triple, another screamer of the times.  Hope they're improved the braking system...........lol 

I might even be able to fit my old ass on a bike like this.  I like the peg placement and the way the bars are set up.

Edited by ohiomike