Columbus To Huntington, Dean State Forest Routes? Goosecreek Rd In Hocking?

Chuck78

We're riding to the Huntington, WV area Saturday morning, and the long scenic route is going to take us through Hocking on 374, and then hoping to pick up some good twisty backroads south of that.  I noticed a very large wilderness area directly between Hocking and Huntington called Dean State Forest, and it looks to have some very twisty roads.  I was hoping we could map out a really fun route down there, but haven't found any of those roads on any motorcycle roads type websites or even blogs or forum posts.  Any ideas?

If these roads were no good, we could potentially take 328 or 278 from around Nelsonville south and stay closer to Galipolis and the north-south stretch of the Ohio River headed that way, or cross into WV at Galipolis if there are better roads on the other side of the river.  Lesage, WV is the exact area we're headed, NW of Huntington.

post-16506-0-86046300-1370902402.jpg

post-16506-0-86046300-1370902402_thumb.j

Edited by Chuck78

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1368/Ohio/Route-141-RuAl

Alright so Rt 141 through this area is at least documented as a good riding road (but no mention of how technical the curves are), but I suspect there are a lot of other really curvey and twisted roads in this area that are a blast to ride.  The route I highlighted on that map appears to be through a more heavily forested area on Rt 93, which is always a big plus in terms of the scenery I like (less farms and clear cut fields, more nature) but also roads with really fun sweepers and twisties are another thing that I seek out heavily.  After 93, my first tentative route takes Etna-Waterloo Rd to catch the latter part of 141 at least. After that, it takes 378 to 217 to 775.

I was also wondering if anyone has ridden GooseCreek Rd south of Hocking off of of 56 in South Bloomingville?  It's right across the road from the beginning of the Chapel Ridge Rd hill climb.

Edited by Chuck78

Goosecreek is a dirty road with lots of gravel in corners once you get a few miles into it. It also seems to be inhabited by lots of uncle-daddy's who let their Cujo dogs hang out in the road and chase bikes while they play banjo on the porch.

Other than that, good road.

Check this thread out. We tried getting to some of these last years and it just started pouring so we cut the trip short but many of these roads looked really promising.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/93751-roads-south-of-56/

As far as Hocking area. Chapel Ridge is fun but it can be dirty and there is a section that can bite you if you aren't paying attention. Big Pine Road is fun. Kreashbaum was repaved 2 years back and was still looking great last year. 278 south of Nelsonville is fun. 356 off of 56 is fun. 691 north of 56 had lots of new pavement and is a really nice road.

Have fun, stay safe!

Mary

Mary's post and link has a lot of good info on this area.

If you're looking for twisty roads,your route is going by some really good stuff.775 is good all the way from 141 near Galipolis to the river...especially the section from Lecta(intersection of 790) to 217.Someone from another forum rode it for the first time last week and called it his favorite road in Ohio.I wouldn't go that far,but it is a very good road.217 from 218 to Miller(7) is short at 5 miles,but is one of those extremely twisty up and over a hill roads like 536.A lot of 217 was chip/sealed last year,but east of 218 has pretty good pavement.218 is also fun from Galipolis to 217,especially south of Mercerville.The top part was paved last year,unfortunately the bottom section was chip/sealed...good chip/seal,but still chip/seal.

141 reminds me of 800 with lesser elevation changes...it does get twisty in the Symmes valley/Kitt's Hill area.A lot of nice farms along 141,it would be a great road for fall colors.

790 from 775 to 218 was just getting ready to be paved when I was down there two weeks ago.I doubt if it's done,but if it is,it's a good ride.

Edited by drc32-0

775 is in good condition all the way...it was paved about three years ago.

Greasy Ridge is in pretty good condition north of 217,south of 217 it is pretty rough.Greasy Ridge will cross 775 twice north of 217.I think G.R. is county road 2.

I really like Greasy Ridge...it's a county road so the turns aren't mark for suggested speed,so be careful on your first pass.It's a shame that the section south of 217 hasn't been paved,it could be very good.