2005 Sv 650s With Horrible Mpg

silentcropduster

I've been doing a lot of riding lately, I'm getting about 175 miles (give or take) on 3.7xx gal of gas = 47.29 MPG.

Is it just me or is that horrible?

Sprockets are stock spec (15T x 44T I believe), air filter is K&N and was recently cleaned, haven't checked plugs, but it purs, so I doubt it's that, bike has 21,xxx miles.

Driving habits:

I let the engine temp hit 100 oF before I even move it, and I'm very easy on it till it hits about 130+

I do some "spirited" riding but usually I shift @ about 5- 5 1/2 RPM.

Also when my speedo claims I'm going 80 MPH, if i look over to a car next to me (happened on more than 1 occassion) their speedo says 70 MPH, being that said that actually makes my MPG even worse.

Shouldn't my MPG be better?

Sounds about right for low compression engine. I get 45mpg average. Better on long rides. I've hit 60mpg a few times. I hit about 57-58 mpg on Saturday for a ride of about 200 miles. I'm probably over guessing, but I'll know when I fuel up tonight or tomorrow.

Nope, was figuring three gallons, it was four gallons burned. 48.57mpg. Yes, I have a large fuel tank.

Edited by ReconRat

Mr B. pull your bottom lip over your face and swallow! lol

i ain't lyin brah

Big sporty twins get bad mileage. Super hawk, rc51 1199. All I've owned and all get in the 30's.

my 998 gets pretty good mileage.  i think i generally got a bit under 50mpg.  it definitely got much better mileage than my old rsvr factory which only got about 30-something mpg.  my buell 1125cr got about the same.

Did 444 miles on my 1000rr Sunday averaging 32mpg. My wifes Ducati gets about 50 mpg when she rides it &I in the low 40s when I ride it. My 250r gets low 60s but is only 23 HP so it's ridden WOT a lot. I would say you've got nothing to whine about.

That seems like reasonable mileage to me.   Check this out for some real world mileage. 

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/sv650s

looks like you are on the high end for 2005s.   Interesting how the mileage seems to be substantially better on some of the newer models.  

Also,  I really wouldn't say 47mpg is bad.   My KLR gets about 46 on average, my duc gets around 40, only my 80cc 2 stroke scooter gets as high as 68mpg.  

Edited by vw151

That seems like reasonable mileage to me.   Check this out for some real world mileage. 

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/sv650s

looks like you are on the high end for 2005s.   Interesting how the mileage seems to be substantially better on some of the newer models.  

Also,  I really wouldn't say 47mpg is bad.   My KLR gets about 46 on average, my duc gets around 40, only my 80cc 2 stroke scooter gets as high as 68mpg.  

I see what you mean  and btw I dont think u own enough bikes!! :crazy: