Motorcyclist Died On 79 In Newark Tonight

Casper

Come on people RESPECT your bike for it can kill you if you don't   Riding careless and beyond your skills with no gear will injure or kill you

But when you ride a harley or a cruiser your not supposed to ride with a helmet and armored gear, its just not cool

What James said.....and many of them cannot ride to begin with.

Been riding cruisers all my life. Never crashed, unlike some of the hypocritical folks here that have there very own crash threads.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The turn on 374, might be the one at the park entrance. It's tight, and easy to cross the center line.

The corner speed posted won't help if rider not paying close attention.

The only warning might be the park entrance sign, which should slow every one down anyway.

The route 79 ramps at route 16, and vice versa, take out riders often. Not sure why, maybe just a popular area.

edit: This is the view on 374 at the park entrance. It doesn't appear to even have a speed sign limit for the corner. It's very easy to over cook the turn. And it appears that the roadway leans left on the turn as well. With the park entrance, there is often traffic on the corner, and often slow.

I've also seen cruisers cross the center line on 374, when trying to keep up with sport bikes. Don't do it.

374atpark_zps88a43c7f.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

Been riding cruisers all my life. Never crashed, unlike some of the hypocritical folks here that have there very own crash threads.

There are exceptions without a doubt, sure glad you have not been down. A squid on a bike he should not be on in the first place, is by far the most dangerous person on 2 wheels.

Edited by Pokey

I knew the guy in Newark....He was a very accomplished rider.  He was riding a restored H1 Kawasaki... He also had a couple of Ducati's

wasn't bashing,  everyone can make a mistake   just ride safe everyone

I am sure that H 1 is a sweet bike  but it dosen't handel like a ducati maybe that was a factor

I knew the guy in Newark....He was a very accomplished rider.  He was riding a restored H1 Kawasaki... He also had a couple of Ducati's

Sorry about your friend, his family is in my prayers.

But when you ride a harley or a cruiser your not supposed to ride with a helmet and armored gear, its just not cool

There have been more of you guys take yourselves out in the last 2 months on this board then any of the ALR chapters here in Ohio in the last 5 years even with help from cagers and  yes I was one of them girl on a cell running a stop sign.

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 2

Come on people RESPECT your bike for it can kill you if you don't   Riding careless and beyond your skills with no gear will injure or kill you

"But, but, but, I'm just too cool to wear a helmet.  Nothing will happen to me."

>>  Deputies said that Holman's Harley Davidson travelled across

the center line on eastbound state Route 374 in Hocking County.

Holman was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

I know this curve on the ramp.  Suggested speed is 35, I think.

The light post is knocked down several times a year.  It should

be placed on the inside of the curve.

>>  Newark police and medics were dispatched to the ramp from northbound S.R.

79 to westbound state Route 16 shortly after 9 p.m. on a report of a crash.

Emergency crews found Richard Mitchell, 56, when they arrived on scene.

Medics pronounced the victim dead on the scene.  Investigators say Mitchell lost

control of his motorcycle and crashed into a guardrail and lamp post.

Wow. I was on that road, being held up by the flatbed. About 8 cars back. (our rental cabin is another 5-10 minutes travel westbound on that road) The bike didn't look that bad. I mean, it really looked like a walk away. 

I had no idea it was a fatal. Not going to tell my better half ether, she mentioned specifically that whole area looked like Gods Waiting room... I drove over the accident site half a dozen times last weekend, kept staring at the marks trying to guess what happened. 

No skid marks from the car, I'd guessed they hit the curve too hot, over corrected- front tire started to lay down rubber, pegs caught, went down, flipped, now into oncoming traffic, other peg stuck in, rear tire left more rubber. no skidding tank towards oncoming traffic.

Fatal? dam, less than 30mph

did he have a rider? we saw a pink sweater or hoodie tossed onto the bike on back of the flatbed.

Very sad, many tore up families this week. 

Come on people RESPECT your bike for it can kill you if you don't   Riding careless and beyond your skills with no gear will injure or kill you

THAT ^

we saw so many riders out there this weekend, cruisers harleys, all fancy looking leather jackets-all sons of anarchyied up, no helmets, making poorly executed stops, turns, going thru the gears like they just the bikes. Saw more harley looking bikes than plastic crotch rocket types. At least the squids were full atgatt, and neoned up properly. 

Wow. I was on that road, being held up by the flatbed. About 8 cars back. (our rental cabin is another 5-10 minutes travel westbound on that road) The bike didn't look that bad. I mean, it really looked like a walk away. 

I had no idea it was a fatal. Not going to tell my better half ether, she mentioned specifically that whole area looked like Gods Waiting room... I drove over the accident site half a dozen times last weekend, kept staring at the marks trying to guess what happened. 

No skid marks from the car, I'd guessed they hit the curve too hot, over corrected- front tire started to lay down rubber, pegs caught, went down, flipped, now into oncoming traffic, other peg stuck in, rear tire left more rubber. no skidding tank towards oncoming traffic.

Fatal? dam, less than 30mph

did he have a rider? we saw a pink sweater or hoodie tossed onto the bike on back of the flatbed.

Very sad, many tore up families this week. 

THAT ^

we saw so many riders out there this weekend, cruisers harleys, all fancy looking leather jackets-all sons of anarchyied up, no helmets, making poorly executed stops, turns, going thru the gears like they just the bikes. Saw more harley looking bikes than plastic crotch rocket types. At least the squids were full atgatt, and neoned up properly.

Then they were not squids.

Edited by Pokey

And a crotch rocket is a dildo. Its called a sport bike.

I wonder if I bought my wife a vibrator and refereed to it as a crotch rocket, that she might actually give it a try? I mean actually let me try it out on her.