Brake Issues

cattmouch33

questions about troubleshooting brakes.

I went for a ride yesterday and there is almost nothing to the front brake.  It doesn't even feel engaged until 1/2" from the bar.  Rear is solid and both reservoirs are full.  pads still looks good on the front and I can't find any leaks.  I didn't ride a lot last year( I think 3 times) would that cause an issue with the fluid in the lines.  

Would my 1st step be new fluid, then try new pads and lines?  

Should the rotors be changed at the same time as the pads?

Sorry for all the questions, I was just a little unnerved yesterday when I felt almost no brake.

Any help is appreciated, I actually have time to ride this year and I don't want my brakes to screw that up.

what kinda bike?

bleed the front brakes, then bleed the MC. sounds like you have air in there, or a seal in the MC is bad.

check the bleeder screws and banjo bolts too... brakes should not just lose pressure for no reason.

I'll replace the fluid this weekend.  I really hope it's just air in the lines.  I think I might just get the SS lines and new levers I was planning on getting this summer now.

2005 zx6r

Edited by cattmouch33

I would guess mc is bad. If the reservoir is full and you havent opened it then it is unlikely any air got in. If there was air, pumping them up would give you brake feel temporarily. Maybe PO used wrong brake fluid and it damaged the seals...

• 3 months later...

So, getting back to this.  The master cylinder has a leak.  I've got a rebuild kit coming along with HEL SS lines and PSR levers.  Should arrive today and Hopefully riding again by the weekend.  I assume taking apart the MC and putting it back together is just take pictures of where everything went and put it back the same way.  Anything else need to be done?

• 4 weeks later...

So couple of questions, yeah I know finally getting around to this, Clutch lever went in no problem. On the brake lever there are issues.  I thought I was supposed to reuse the bushing from the old lever to the new one. Well the bushing doesn't fit at all. The pin screw that goes inside it does fit but that's it.  Then the bushing with the pin hole in it doesn't fit at all. That's the issue with the lever and all part numbers match to what its supposed to be.

The master cylinder rebuild kit apparently is for the rear. Yeah I know I should have looked closer. But I checked the order and it doesn't specify front or back.  So I cleaned out the old MC and put everything back together.  When I pull the lever it just stays down it doesn't pop back.  Is this because there is no fluid in it the MC assembly does pop back when I have it off the bike.  

New SS rear line went on without a problem and bleed nice and easy.

Any ideas.  I really want to ride more this year.

So I thought this time since I checked to make sure I ordered the right part I would be up and running.....nope. The master cylinder kit listed for the front and confirmed by dustin that should be right isn't even close. The bottom is the old and the top is the new, just the metal piece doesn't even fit without the spring.  I tried cleaning everything again and reassembling.  I get fluid through the lines but can't build pressure, confirms bad master.  Looks like I need to find a whole replacement master now.  

on a good note I did confirm the lever is the way it should be minus the pin bushing not fitting. The other bushing doesn't transfer over.  It fits but need brakes to work to test everything.

post-9914-0-51135100-1381609016_thumb.jp

Edited by cattmouch33

so finally got the right part after the 3rd try and tried to bleed but no fluid is moving through just air.  I'm getting bubbles though, I've borrowed brad's vaccuum bleeder to see if that will help. any other ideas

the vaccuum pump from brad worked, I have brakes again.  Apparently I should I known that I needed to bench bleed the new MC first.  Now just waiting on the battery from Starkpower

Edited by cattmouch33