Lowside on the Dragon

RHill

First time at Deals Gap and I got to add to the tree of shame. We made our trip north through the dragon without a problem, turned around and I took the lead...about a minute in, out of nowhere, I lost the front.

So the scenario I've put together is: Not enough gas to keep 40/60 weight distribution. Front end is upset because of the bump(visible in the slow motion portion of the video), too slow of rebound doesn't allow the tire to regain traction quick enough. "Cold" tire from running in the wet previous turns doesn't pick up traction and pushes(black streak left in the first moonshine "wreck" picture) out from under the bike.

Luckily, the guy taking pictures for moonshinephoto.com came to the rescue with a rope, bandages, duct tape and alcohol wipes. He also got a ton of great pictures of the wreck: http://moonshinephoto.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8927271&g=0CVY010206 in addition to many the next day of riding as well.

Thanks to all the guys who helped pull the bike back up to the road! :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRp87M4ifY4&

That sucks man, but glad you weren't hurt and the bike was rideable after the fact. I see Doc in the pics helping to pull your bike from the ditch, who else from OR went along?

I'm glad you could get up and still ride.

How's that left knee? It looks like it

took a beating.

I've had worse rash from wrecking a bicycle....literally. Four small spots no bigger than a quarter each on my left kneecap and one on my right. Jacket took a beating, but did its job well.

Nivin, you can't call me a psycho when you were ripping through corners on the Skyway in the rain....after the little mishap. :D

:D scared the crap out of me for the rest of the trip. But you are one sick psycho, u just got back up zip tied and taped every thing and started riding just like that or may be even harder :D

cant let it get you down, get back up and get back at it if able too.

Glad your in good shape.

That sucks man, but glad you weren't hurt and the bike was rideable after the fact. I see Doc in the pics helping to pull your bike from the ditch, who else from OR went along?

me, Doc, Jester_, Tim(not sure of forum name) and Al Z. Heimer

they rode down and back in the rain....I took the bike down in the bed of a pickup along with a couple dirtbikes for my nephews.

Rode from Greenville SC to the gap on some twisty ass roads including 28(awesome); immediately hit the dragon going north and then the lowside happened.

I'm willing to bet you are a better rider than me but the curves previous to the slide you did not look very smooth. I believe I remember that corner its where there is a service road to one of the dams and its not that bad. Do you think maybe you lost your focus and line when you seen the camera guy?

Edited by 2talltim

I'm willing to bet you are a better rider than me but the curves previous to the slide you did not look very smooth. I believe I remember that corner its where there is a service road to one of the dams and its not that bad. Do you think maybe you lost your focus and line when you seen the camera guy?

I wasn't sure of the curves, traction and how much I really wanted to push it when taking the lead; that's probably why I was not that smooth and kicking between 2nd and 3rd gears on the way up the hill. I turned in early when I lowsided, but at the same time I wasn't going fast enough where I couldn't hold a constant radius around the double yellow to avoid running wide....well if the front stayed under the bike.

I don't think the camera had any effect, was already past him, looking at the exit and for the next turn.

That turn wasn't bad at all, I didn't think there were any turns there that were bad/unexpected. Probably gets a little more interesting when the foliage thickens up.

There are a couple turns i don't care for, 2 of them on a blind corner coming from the gap store where its a sharper radius after the apex. The other is where the banking of the road goes in the wrong direction for the way the turn is. Chalenging but still fun

def. looked pretty wet out there. makes it near impossible to get any hear in a street tire...

Look what the cat drug out. When will you be back at the track!?!? And don't say this season if you don't mean it this time!!

:D