Savage 65M bolt removal?

scottb

Does anyone have this model or instructions on how to remove the bolt?

I searched the net, and looked on Savage web site for disassembly instructions and did not find anything. Also looked on RimFire Central.

The Savage 65M is a bolt action, .22 Mag rifle. The bolt does not come out the back by holding the trigger and sliding out the rear of the chamber.

This is not the same model as the Savage 64.

So far, I have removed the stock. I will work on this a bit later this evening.

I've heard of some silly things to get the bolt out of a rifle but never had to take the trigger group off to remove a bolt.

There is a Savage/Stevens shotgun that the trigger group comes out of the gun still attached to the stock, bored designers maybe.

From the link above, this is the picture below. The 2 pins that I have to remove were 2 small pins on the metal / grey part, just above the trigger group. The rear pin holds the safety lever and the metal part just in front of the safety. After tapping out these 2 pins, there is a one screw to remove and the bolt comes out the rear. Rifle is all cleaned up and ready for the next range trip. Thanks for the help!

Savage65M002.jpg

Edited by scottb

So how does this old rifle shoot, is it very accurate?

A lot of times after you clean 20 years of lead build up and dust from the 50's and 60's these old rifles will shoot pretty good.