looking for riders in Columbus

silentcropduster

I will ride 315, river road beyond the zoo, coshoctob. Theres some decent roads to cruise but obviously nothing like hoking

I have yet to ever ride hocking, i haz ben there once to stay w my gf in the cabins - but i agree it is nice and curvy (take that however u want lol)

My main issue riding that far is my limitations when it comes to my sense of direction. I dont have a way to hook up my GPS or phone to my bike so i cant see where I'm going. SO I have to put my phone in my coat and I have a pair of Bose In Ear's w noise cancelling - which works great, but sometimes google maps on my phone is half retarded.

How do you guys go about attaching a GPS or your phone to your bike? I know it kinda depends on your bike, but I have yet to fig it out.

I ride a SV650 as well. The weather is gonna suck this week but I would be down for some cruises at some point.

I usually will ride downtown then go to Easton or Polaris. Makes for a nice mix of city highway rides.

I tried to ride on one of the cosh rides and I wont be going back until I have more confidence.

My turning ability has been hampered from my low slide last year. I don't wanna go through that again.

I ride a SV650 as well. The weather is gonna suck this week but I would be down for some cruises at some point.

I usually will ride downtown then go to Easton or Polaris. Makes for a nice mix of city highway rides.

I tried to ride on one of the cosh rides and I wont be going back until I have more confidence.

My turning ability has been hampered from my low slide last year. I don't wanna go through that again.

Stay away from traffic and people, you need to get out in the country and hit those twisty roads. Riding in straight lines does little for you, and get out and ride in the rain some too. You have to get your confidence back, and to do that you must get a bit out of your comfort zone.

I have yet to ever ride hocking, i haz ben there once to stay w my gf in the cabins - but i agree it is nice and curvy (take that however u want lol)

My main issue riding that far is my limitations when it comes to my sense of direction. I dont have a way to hook up my GPS or phone to my bike so i cant see where I'm going. SO I have to put my phone in my coat and I have a pair of Bose In Ear's w noise cancelling - which works great, but sometimes google maps on my phone is half retarded.

How do you guys go about attaching a GPS or your phone to your bike? I know it kinda depends on your bike, but I have yet to fig it out.

I have a iphone 5 and use the TomTom app and headphones. It has treated me well so far. Its good enough to be able to follow just by voice. Or at least I think so.

Stay away from traffic and people, you need to get out in the country and hit those twisty roads. Riding in straight lines does little for you, and get out and ride in the rain some too. You have to get your confidence back, and to do that you must get a bit out of your comfort zone.

You sir have my dream bike. :bow:

Someday I might see if someone can take me back and ride. I just feel bad keeping a group from their preferred speed if I cant handle it. I kinda freeze up on the blind curves and tend to slow way down.

I have also been thinking about doing a novice day at Mid-Ohio to get back to the peg grinding I am missing.

I can't yet imagine how to get over fear after a nasty tumble, but there's a lot to be said for throwing yourself onto unknown country roads, going for an hour then taking a break to see what's next. I've ridden a lot of roads east of Westerville, but don't ask me to tell you which ones they were on a map - I probably don't remember! :cheers:

The only real way to attract riders to ride with you on here is to try to start a riding club. Make a new post with something like "I'm trying to start a club" as the sub line. Vests, patches, secret handshakes, all that stuff.

Honestly. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

• Upvote 1

Someday I might see if someone can take me back and ride. I just feel bad keeping a group from their preferred speed if I cant handle it. I kinda freeze up on the blind curves and tend to slow way down.

I have also been thinking about doing a novice day at Mid-Ohio to get back to the peg grinding I am missing.

An SV650 is no slouch - enjoy what you have!

No need to apologize for being conservative on the turns - your brain is just trying to protect you. It'll learn what's necessary and when it's unnecessary if you just stretch it a little at a time. Nothing crazy, just little stretches.

Anyway, I'm game for a relaxed ride most weekends and some evenings too now that it's light until 8 or so. I'm probably one of the more conservative riders on the board due to multiple factors, but I wouldn't call my style boring either. It's about reasonable risk mitigation I guess.

No need to apologize for being conservative on the turns - your brain is just trying to protect you. It'll learn what's necessary and when it's unnecessary if you just stretch it a little at a time. Nothing crazy, just little stretches.

Anyway, I'm game for a relaxed ride most weekends and some evenings too now that it's light until 8 or so. I'm probably one of the more conservative riders on the board due to multiple factors, but I wouldn't call my style boring either. It's about reasonable risk mitigation I guess.

I highly agree with you. Your brain does take over when you feel that you are in situations where you are at risk - maks you tense up. I'm not so quick to admit this on here - but I am a cop - only part time, but still do the job. I've put myself in situations running code and have given myself the "pucker factor" quite a bit haha.

I personally am fine on a bike - im not an expert, but I have put 5k miles on my bike in the past year and a half. NO ONE should ever give you shit for being extra careful - in a bike u dont have air bags or crumple zones like a car - you are the crumple zone & the air bag!

I have a iphone 5 and use the TomTom app and headphones. It has treated me well so far. Its good enough to be able to follow just by voice. Or at least I think so.

It works for me like 90% of the time, the issue i have is sometimes it has me going in circles if the outlay of the road is tricky.

I'd like to attach my phone or GPS to my bike somhow w/o having to pay like $50 for a mount. I had to replace my clutch perch on my bike and the clutch perch came off a different bike that had the mirror u screw into it. Well my mirros dont screw into my clutch perch so I'm going to see if my uncle can rig somethnig that I can simply screw into the perch and attach my phone w tip ties or something lol

Thanks, I am pretty fond of it. You are more than welcome to go with me sometime, matter of fact I encourage it. There will be absolutely no pushing it from me, just follow me and RELAX, don't gaze, don't space out, don't over think. The bike wants to go where you tell it to, relaxed body position and look where you want to go. Worst thing you can do is to look down at the road while in the curve, but looking on down the road to where you want to go is what you wanna do. Any braking needs to be done before the curve if you can avoid it, use those gears to scrub off some speed. Staying in a lower gear in the twisty bits and choosing the proper gear to use is ideal, engine braking is usually your friend. Don't be afraid to rev that bad boy, those SV's love to rev!!! I am still a bit sheepish and paranoid about going offroad again due to my shoulder injury last year, but I am also not quite physically ready or healed enough to do so. But I will none the less, much to the concern from my Wifey. I think 541 would be a great road for you to get some confidence back on, no real surprises on that road. Hit me up sometime, we can go out even if it is just for a bit, can always ride around Hoover and Alum Creek area to start out.

Thanks, I am pretty fond of it. You are more than welcome to go with me sometime, matter of fact I encourage it. There will be absolutely no pushing it from me, just follow me and RELAX, don't gaze, don't space out, don't over think. The bike wants to go where you tell it to, relaxed body position and look where you want to go. Worst thing you can do is to look down at the road while in the curve, but looking on down the road to where you want to go is what you wanna do. Any braking needs to be done before the curve if you can avoid it, use those gears to scrub off some speed. Staying in a lower gear in the twisty bits and choosing the proper gear to use is ideal, engine braking is usually your friend. Don't be afraid to rev that bad boy, those SV's love to rev!!! I am still a bit sheepish and paranoid about going offroad again due to my shoulder injury last year, but I am also not quite physically ready or healed enough to do so. But I will none the less, much to the concern from my Wifey. I think 541 would be a great road for you to get some confidence back on, no real surprises on that road. Hit me up sometime, we can go out even if it is just for a bit, can always ride around Hoover and Alum Creek area to start out.

If I'm feeling better (been sick since Friday) and the weather's nice, I might be game sometime Saturday or Sunday.

It works for me like 90% of the time, the issue i have is sometimes it has me going in circles if the outlay of the road is tricky.

I'd like to attach my phone or GPS to my bike somhow w/o having to pay like $50 for a mount. I had to replace my clutch perch on my bike and the clutch perch came off a different bike that had the mirror u screw into it. Well my mirros dont screw into my clutch perch so I'm going to see if my uncle can rig somethnig that I can simply screw into the perch and attach my phone w tip ties or something lol

I would try these guys they are awesome at mounts.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/

Trust me I love my SV its a very fun bike. However it is not all that great on long long rides.

For example I would love to ride down to my dads house in FL but I don't think an almost 1000 mile ride on the SV would be fun.

I might take you up on this once I get my new chain. There are a few rust spots and I wanna replace it before I start to try and drag my boots again.

Just saw this thread. I am free to ride on Friday nights and on the weekends. I have 2012 r6 and I usually ride with mr jellybean, nightrider, dying shadow and more people like kmanlyst and so on. Im in the new albany area.

To get more comfortable handling corners, you may want to pick up a copy of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2. It is a good book that teaches the proper techniques for motorcycle cornering. I found it to be a useful resource. The movie version of the book has been posted to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw

As far as the ram-mounts, the are very popular and effective. I love mine.

• Upvote 1

To get more comfortable handling corners, you may want to pick up a copy of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2. It is a good book that teaches the proper techniques for motorcycle cornering. I found it to be a useful resource. The movie version of the book has been posted to YouTube.

Twist of the Wrist II - YouTube

As far as the ram-mounts, the are very popular and effective. I love mine.

Just watched the whole vid "that was awesome"!!! I do some things right and I for sure do some things wrong, and that all made so much sense and was very humbling. Being consistent doing the right techniques is the hardest thing to do, and all the SR's listed I have for sure encountered at some point in time. Now to go out and practice and put these principles to use, motorcycles are amazing machines in the right hands.

Buy a SE Ohio map. Go SE. turn off the main rd onto a road with 3 numbers like 274. Ride. Get lost. Ride some more. Have fun. Find your way out.

You won't get eaten or raped by blue headed hillbillies as long as you don't go to coshocton. Promise.