Dont have my ccw, how the hell do i transport on the bike?

Jynx

So working on my ccw, im not 21 but on my birthday im getting a new handgun, then taking it to the range. it typically takes 3 days to get the license so for those first few days i have no idea how to transport the gun. I dont have saddlebags(nor do i want them). i guess the question is if i strap it to my leg is it considered open carry or am i improperly storing a firearm in a vehicle?

any ideas/input appreciated

It must be unloaded. Meaning no ammo in the gun, magazine, or speedloaders. There is no such thing as open carry on a motorcycle, it is classified as concealed even if in view per ORC.

This. Unloaded in a backpack with ammo and unloaded magazines separate, preferably in a different compartment with a master lock through the zippers.

• Upvote 1

This. Unloaded in a backpack with ammo and unloaded magazines separate, preferably in a different compartment with a master lock through the zippers.

There is actually nothing in the ORC that states ammo and gun have to be separated. I'm not saying it's not a good idea and may get you points with an officer, but not required.

OP, read the firearms information thread. It's a sticky in the gun forum.

Follow Chevy's advice. Unloaded, in the case, in a backpack would work.

But don't the recent changes allow your magazines to be loaded as long as they are not inserted into the gun?

Follow Chevy's advice. Unloaded, in the case, in a backpack would work.

But don't the recent changes allow your magazines to be loaded as long as they are not inserted into the gun?

There is something about that but I'd need to look at the ORC again. Think it says something about they have to be in different compartments.

Just unload it completely. Doesn't take long to do and saves you possible hassle. And don't act like ssn idiot while riding a draw attention to yourself.

Law changed earlier this year, you can have the magazine loaded in the vehicle without a CHL....as long as it isn't inserted into the weapon.

http://newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/569231/Ohio-lawmakers-make-changes-to-gun-laws.html?nav=5061

Without a chl doesn't the gun and ammo have to be in separate locations requiring you to exit the vehicle to get to the gun/or ammo?

Without a chl doesn't the gun and ammo have to be in separate locations requiring you to exit the vehicle to get to the gun/or ammo?

I am not a lawyer. This response should not be construed as legal advice.

No. You can now have your weapon sitting on the seat with a loaded mag right next to it without a CHL.

Law changed, but don't expect everyone to know that it changed.

I've used backpacks, or bungie to back of bike. I would rather use the backpack, I'd hate to find out something like that came off the back of the bike when I didn't know it.

edit: If in doubt, don't carry ammo with it. Transport only.

Edited by ReconRat

OP & anyone confused on recent law changes,

I always suggest reading the law. In this case ORC 2923.16

I've gone to the liberty of highlighting salient sections for you.

© No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

© For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(6) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

(7) "Commercial motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25 of the Revised Code.

(8) "Motor carrier enforcement unit" means the motor carrier enforcement unit in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, that is created by section 5503.34 of the Revised Code.

(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.

So working on my ccw, im not 21 but on my birthday im getting a new handgun, then taking it to the range. it typically takes 3 days to get the license so for those first few days i have no idea how to transport the gun. I dont have saddlebags(nor do i want them). i guess the question is if i strap it to my leg is it considered open carry or am i improperly storing a firearm in a vehicle?

any ideas/input appreciated

Does this mean you already turned in all the paper work at the Sheriffs office and when you turn 21 they will mail it to you? other wise expect it to be a month or more.

Very interesting. Didn't know there were that many changes.

I highly recommend checking buckeyefirearms.org at least semi-annually to keep track of what is going on. They've only changed the law pushing a half dozen times since it's been enacted. Too many folks walk around carrying guns while ignorant of what the current law is.