Separated shoulder anyone?

Coyote

Anyone here ever FUBAR their AC joint? How is riding after recovery?

A couple of weeks ago, I managed to obliterate the ligaments that attach the distal end of my clavicle to the scapula (Grade 3 AC separation). These apparently do not heal, and the efficacy of surgical repair is controversial. Basically I have to train the local muscles to compensate for the lack of integrity in the structure of my shoulder. I now, and always will, have a nifty lump (the end of my clavicle) sticking out of my shoulder. Started PT, and in general I feel like I am re-learning to use my right (strong) arm.

So now, Krav Maga training/teaching, BJJ, Crossfit, fighting, and probably shooting and riding are off the table for 2-? months. I know I’ll be able to get back into everything eventually, with some limitations in mobility, etc.

Well before all of this I had decided to get off of the street for a couple years (After over two decades of having my endorsement)…Not a lot of time/opportunity to get out on rides, and got to the point that I despise commuting in town. Sold my streetbike over the winter and had planned on spending more time at the track this season.

As much fun as it is to tie my shoes, button my shirt, change t-shirts, etc. right now, I do not look forward to squeezing into leathers…

Anyone have this injury and want to commiserate or encourage?

If you don't get that fixed or somewhat fixed, you will never be the same. Training muscles to compensate for others is not a good thing, that causes other issues as well. The shoulder is a very unstable part of our body to begin with, not a good design. Who is your Ortho Doc, if you would like to talk with my surgeon let me know, he is one of the best in the Midwest "especially shoulders".

PM his info. ER doc and first Ortho (forget names due to distraction and painkillers) and current Ortho (Iorio) all advised against surgery...Said recovery time is much longer and no benefits are proven.

I put off surgery for about a year after my injury and never did get the arm to function correctly again until after the surgery. It was one of the most painful things I ever had done, but worth it in the end.

I messed mine up in a motocross race and didn't race again for about a year after the surgery. Wore a shoulder brace when I returned to racing to aid stability, but really sucked at racing (more so than I did before the accident, which was quite an accomplishment) so I "retired" from motocross at this point.

Kinda sucked as I had ridden MX since I was around 10 years old. But I was 43 then and getting too old to race, despite being in the 40+ class.

My advice would be to get the surgery ASAP - you won't regret it.

My uncle had same issue and he went through all the therapy bullshit and said it did get a little better he gained some movement and strength but was still no where close to before the injury. He had surgery 2 years ago and the doctors had told him not to have surgery and that there was no guarantee it would fix anything he said now it is about 90% of what it was prior to injury and he is very happy with the results and glad he had it done.

My wife has a similar (maybe the same) injury sustained from a motorcycle wreck. By the time it was diagnosed (after they dealt with her other injuries) it was too late to reattach it so it remains as is. The other muscles will eventually compensate but there will be certain motions you won't be able to perform or perform well. She still cannot reach into the back seat of the car to retrieve something with that arm. The impact to her quality of life is certainly negligible. She still does yoga, pilates, etc without any issues.

Right now (since the pain has substantially subsided), my only real mobility issue is reaching across my own chest. Backward and lateral reach is good. Front and inward is weak feeling and generally painful. I don't particularly enjoy feeling the joint 'click' each time it flexes through...but it is more mentally discomforting than painful. Other than the pronounced lump and clicking of bones, it feels just like severe muscle strains.

I just need to get back to punching people, Lol...It has been two whole weeks!!

I had a type 3 AC separation, borderline type 4. Physical therapy will be fine, but you'll need to really stay on top of the PT exercises in some form or another forever to keep yourself pain free.

After a few months of PT, you'll be fine to ride. I think I was out from like the beginning/middle of July to early Sept.

In terms of exercise, a bunch of stuff like dips will be off the table forever. Also, you may have to give up benchpress.

As far as martial arts goes, wait a few months after you are done with PT before you do any heavy striking or really exert the shoulder. You'll probably want to avoid any throws or certain joint locks in the bjj for at least a year. I practice shuai chiao (please don't associate me with those SC guys in cbus), and still almost 6 years later I'm pretty particular on how I get thrown or who throws me. Even being careful I've managed to minorly re-injure it. If any of your styles do any strength exercises similar to snake turns over (arm grabs) or muscle restructure (muscle/tendon change set), carefully start in on those after you are done with PT, it'll make a world of difference.

Right now (since the pain has substantially subsided), my only real mobility issue is reaching across my own chest. Backward and lateral reach is good. Front and inward is weak feeling and generally painful. I don't particularly enjoy feeling the joint 'click' each time it flexes through...but it is more mentally discomforting than painful. Other than the pronounced lump and clicking of bones, it feels just like severe muscle strains.

I just need to get back to punching people, Lol...It has been two whole weeks!!

Damn that sucks. Get better and get back to punching people.