WTB '99 SV 650 tank

GSXRBirch

I just picked up a 1999 SV 650 and it has a fuel leak. I checked into it today and was hoping it was just a hose or something minor but the tank is leaking by the hinge. Does anyone have a used tank or know where I can find one cheap. I was also wondering about welding it or other possible solutions on how to fix the tank I have.

I just usually prowl SVrider in the parts section.

I haven't used it, but there is that underwater/gas proof epoxy stuff. It would be cheap and quick in the short term.

If you weld it, be sure to flush the tank with water beforehand. Unless you want a big firey leak instead of the slow current one.

I tried some tank sealer but it was the putty crap and slowed it a lot but still a slow leak now. I am trying to stay away from welding and buying a new one. I priced them and ouch, the cheapest I seen was like $560. As for actually seeing the leak no but with the tank completely off and fuel level below the petcock and everything else it's dry until the hinge area. That leads me to think a seam or something but I'm far from an expert on this situation. I appreciate your inputs and any more ideas would be great.

if you weld, you need to do more than just flush the tank with water a few times.

the preferred method is to keep the tank filled with an inert gas (co2 or argon) while you're welding on it. the gas displaces the fumes while you weld. you need to seal the holes so that you can control the amount of inert gas that escapes from the tank.

ive heard of people filling the tank with water to weld on it too. that would probably work too...

people have died welding gas tanks, so if you are not comfortable doing it, take it to a professional.

if its a pinhole leak you can try some JB weld or something... i used that on a leaky tank before. it's not perfect and it's not permanent either. it worked for about 3 or 4 months for me before it started leaking again... to be fair, i didnt do an awesome job of sanding/cleaning the area, so that probably had something to do with it. i just ended up getting a new tank. it could be a good temp fix for you tho.

I got the tank sealed temporarily, thanks to some JB Weld and some tank sealer. Hasn't leaked a drop in over 24 hours so I'll see how long it lasts for now. My only thing is I didn't prep it that great before I stuck the JB to it.