Torn rotator cuff

Hoblick

What is the healing time on a partially torn rotator cuff?

When i was at the track sunday i crashed out pretty good. Got xrays and the bones are fine, doc says he thinks partially torn rotator cuff, i have to get an mri this week, then go see another doc.

Whats the heal time for this?

I hate going to the dr. And hate when he tells me to stay off the bike.

Hell after i wrecked that day, i kept riding, crashed again even. Hurts a bit to ride but i can get through the pain.

Really wanna get back out this weekend even though the doc says no.

• Upvote 1

Depends on where the tear is and how significant. My dad has torn both, one was a complete filet off the interior ball socket. Both required surgery. But I know some folks that have torn them and they heal with some rest, but the kind of rest where you don't move your arm at all for a couple weeks. A lot has to do with pain tolerance, like anything else. But until you hear from the doc and they have a definitive diagnosis of the damage, I would take it easy. Hope they don't find anything too bad and that you are able to ride through it! Sucks to hear you had a get-off.

^ what he said.. tho typical turn around time after Surgery is 6-8 weeks.. with light PT and nothing to truly aggravate it while healing you could be back to full ROM in 4-6 weeks

Umm 6-8 weeks yeeeeaaahh

I might have to disobeye drs orders here.

I was hoping 2-3 weeks tops and no surgery lol

Nah, no surgery means longer recovery actually for something like that. With surgery they are able to reattach and you start PT shortly after. Without it, you want to really be easy on it and let it fully heal, or it never will.

And shoulders/rotator cuff's really aren't something you want to keep messing up, makes life miserable. Hope it wasn't your right arm, or wiping and jerking might be tough.

Correct me if i am wrong, but with the Labaral tear in my shoulder, they never heal on their own. Sometimes PT can overcome the shortcomings of the shoulder and the pain can be managed, but will never heal on its own. Mine still gives me problems after surgery and 4-6 weeks post op to be able to move it again. PT after that for months. I had my surgery in April (2 years ago) and I missed the whole riding season. I was able to get in a few days at the end.

Sorry to hear this Ryan. I had a torn labrum repaired in November '11. I was in a sling for 6 weeks and couldn't lift over 10 lbs or do anything aggressive for another 8 weeks. Depending on the severity of the tear it will most likely be about the same or longer. The best word of advice I can give you is ask your DR. if there are any exercises you can do before your surgery, if you have to have it, to improve your shoulder strength and follow your Physical Therapy plan to the letter after wards. By the time you start being able to move your shoulder you will be amazed at how weak it is and how little movement you have. Also. if you don't have a comfortable chair you can sleep in, invest in one because that is where you will be sleeping for 2 - 3 weeks. It took me over 3 months to get back to 90% range of motion.

It is right arm. And 4 years ago i crashed similar on my f4i track bike and was same situation/feeling. Never went to see a doctor, 3-4 weeks later it felt good. But when i would do something to injur that shoulder it gave me pain. Only maybe 2-3 times in last 4 years.

This time though the pain was alot higher. Similar to the first wreck just more painful i think.

I'm not gonna lie my buddy tore his way back in 1999 and it still bothers him. of course he wouldn't listen to the docs and at the time he was in his mid 30's. and he never gave it the time to heal all the way before he kept using it too much.

now he tore the other one in 2009 or so and is still getting surgeries on it. (workers comp)

Sorry to learn of this Ryan. I am a PT and even a slight tear in the rotator cuff needs to be treated properly for it to heal correctly.

The rotator cuff is the tissue where 4 muscles attach to the upper arm bone at the shoulder. These muscles make it possible for you to lift your arm above your head. They also keep your arm attached to your body, ie the rotator cuff is what keeps your arm from following a baseball to home plate when throwing a fastball.

When the cuff tears it is like pulling silly putty. It thins out then tears. And once it tears the tissue does not return to it's original position it just fills in with scar tissue.

Have your arm assessed by a good shoulder doctor( I can give you the name of one) and see how bad your injury is.

Rushing back to full activity before it is fully healed can really f-up your shoulder and be very painful.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Full surface tear of rotator cuff "SLAP tear", badly torn Labrum, bone spurs, tendinitis, arthritis and bursitis. Injured myself in July of Last year "plus old injury", had surgery October 12, and I did rehab twice a week until end of February. DO NOT mess around with this, even though you are fortunate you have a partial tear. In my case I really messed my shoulder up, and the rehab and recovery is just terrible, very painful, and very long. I am maybe 75% at this point, and I am very consistent with my exercise and strength building. Range of motion is critical here, you won't get it back if you don't follow the program. PT said that shoulders are the longest recovery and some of their toughest to rehab. Not sure who is your Ortho guy, but my surgeon is one of the very best around and he specializes in shoulders. Might be worth a visit to let him check you out, let me know and I can hook you up. Yours can heal on its own and a cortisone shot goes a long way, but that causes scar tissue and you might never be the same.

Shoulder is fealing significantly better right now, no pain killers but im on an anti inflamatory. Mri is friday. Then i see the ortho monday. If it gets even better by sunday im riding. Then ill see what the ortho has to say monday.

Im hoping that the doc was wrong, and i just havd a severe stretch/bruising

Good luck with your healing process..!

Just completely separated the AC joint of my right/strong arm a few days ago...The lateral end of my clavicle sticks up/out about 1 1/2 inches right now. Apparently surgery for this one is controversial, and it should heal enough to get back to the things I enjoy in a few months (with some permanent deformity). Apparently the AC ligament is the appendix of ligaments.

Learning to do everything left-handed for the time being, and painkillers at least make me forget that it hurts.