60 seconds of salary, visualized

fizzer

interesting, wish they would account the 12 years of prime youth, docs wither away inside the hospital during college/residency at no wage to less than minimum wage plus the gigantic student loan looming over them to get to this point.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/03/dear-lawmakers-doctor-today.html

Edited by NinjaDoc

interesting, wish they would account the 12 years of prime youth, docs wither away inside the hospital during college/residency at no wage to less than minimum wage plus the gigantic student loan looming over them to get to this point.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/03/dear-lawmakers-doctor-today.html

The docs are the only ones I feel at least earned their hefty salaries. Like you said, they put the time for the schooling/residency, etc.

I have no idea why we value entertainment in this country so much that singers/actors/pro athletes are the highest paid people. In the old days we would've just thrown them in the ring as slaves and they fought for their lives, not for a wage. Not saying that is the right thing to do, but how did the tables get so turned that we value a song/movie/sporting event more than educating our children who are the future of this country?

The docs are the only ones I feel at least earned their hefty salaries. Like you said, they put the time for the schooling/residency, etc.

I have no idea why we value entertainment in this country so much that singers/actors/pro athletes are the highest paid people. In the old days we would've just thrown them in the ring as slaves and they fought for their lives, not for a wage. Not saying that is the right thing to do, but how did the tables get so turned that we value a song/movie/sporting event more than educating our children who are the future of this country?

What about IT folks? I studied computing at college and university plus an 18mon internship ("residency?"), so a total of 7 years as a poor starving student. I make 6 figures now. Did I not earn that?

• Upvote 1

Answer this question and you are getting close to solving the fundamental problem with this country. I would be willing to bet that the majority of Kobe's cash flow comes via endorsements and advertising as opposed to putting a ball through a hoop.

Answer this question and you are getting close to solving the fundamental problem with this country. I would be willing to bet that the majority of Kobe's cash flow comes via endorsements and advertising as opposed to putting a ball through a hoop.

And those endorsements are for companies that use him to advertise their product, which causes millions of people to buy those products, further fueling the economy...

What about IT folks? I studied computing at college and university plus an 18mon internship ("residency?"), so a total of 7 years as a poor starving student. I make 6 figures now. Did I not earn that?

I was simply referring to the 3 "high wage earners" in the video. The doctor, kobe, and whoever the CEO was.

I'm sure you are hard at work earning those 6 figures every day and not wasting time browsing ORDN. ;)

And those endorsements are for companies that use him to advertise their product, which causes millions of people to buy those products, further fueling the economy...

I don't know about any of you, but I can not recall a time where I saw Kobe drinking a Pepsi, or Shaq driving a Buick, or a commercial for ANYTHING that made me say "Boy, I'm gonna go buy that now because it's endorsed by Joe so-and-so."

I have seen food commercials that made me hungry, but usually not for whatever it was in the commercial. I just walk over to my refridgerator or cupboards and grab a bite to eat.

I don't know about any of you, but I can not recall a time where I saw Kobe drinking a Pepsi, or Shaq driving a Buick, or a commercial for ANYTHING that made me say "Boy, I'm gonna go buy that now because it's endorsed by Joe so-and-so."

I have seen food commercials that made me hungry, but usually not for whatever it was in the commercial. I just walk over to my refridgerator or cupboards and grab a bite to eat.

This, I fully agree with your comments about the higher paid figures in the world. Sucks, maybe some/all the reason I don't watch pro sports, nor go to their events. Actually shoot, I should stop going to country music concerts too, never thought about them. Bastads.....

I guess it is the wage gap that bothers me the most.

How can there be such a disparity in pay between a broom pusher, and a CEO?

I understand the short career time necessitating professional athletes getting all the $$$ they can. I can almost agree with some of the large paychecks for some actors(seriously, look at what Christian Bale did to get into the role in "The Machinist" vs "Batman").

The fact that politicians make more than Doctors or Teachers makes me want to puke.

We're not all equal, who knew?

Shouldn’t the people earning minimum wage do something to change their circumstance like the rest of the wage earners have done if they aren’t happy with what they are worth.

easier said than done for most people. it's a fact run down public schools are not the same as a private school the rich parents send their kid to. and then there's the parents... or lack thereof.

when the cards are stacked against them there's way more ladders to climb in life than someone that starts out with all of it.

and most people I know aren't exactly happy they're poor but they're not letting that effect their time on this earth. they do all the things they can do together as a family and just try to be happy.

the way i look at it is if someone feels that having a lot of money makes them feel whole or more of a person than a poor man then they're the one that's living a sad lonely existence.

Edited by serpentracer

Rich thug rappers just kill me when I make myself watch a video just to see how fucked up we are. I watched one on demand the other day because it was called "Bugatti". Holy shit it's a shame what I saw and that they can pay to own one. :nono:

Rich thug rappers just kill me when I make myself watch a video just to see how fucked up we are. I watched one on demand the other day because it was called "Bugatti". Holy shit it's a shame what I saw and that they can pay to own one. :nono:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm willing to bet good money that the supercars in those videos are rented.

I'm sorry' date=' but there must be something wrong with me. Other than the president, which should be a non-paid position, I don't get any sad, depressed or angry feelings from that video.

:dunno:[/quote']

Yeah, I seem to remember a time when everybody wasn't jealous of someone who had a damn dime more than they did. And I lived through the shit '70's and early '80's.

Someone mentioned parents. My wife teaches reading for kids who aren't reading at grade level. She'll go into the school at night for SCHEDULED parent conferences and go 1 for 4 on parents showing up. Not a good average.