Weight loss/Workout Thread 2013

shadyone

This thread is good motivation, especially NightRider and my boy Marty. I have seen Marty in the last couple months, and he looks great! (I am so squeezing him in the trailer at the track this year!) I am at 205 right now, was at 213 at New years. I would love to be 185 by the time I take race school on June 1st, but that may be an overzealous goal. I can sit here and try to explain to myself and anyone else why my workouts are so intermittant, but they are just excuses. I have to make the time. But seeing what you guys are doing, I know it can be done.

Company sponsored a "Biggest Loser" team competition that I signed up for after putting on quite a bit of weight this winter.

Started at 227# on 2/4 now down to 204.

4 more weigh ins and I would like to under 195.

Mostly just watching what I eat and walking with our pup but have been starting to do more workouts now that the office gym has opened and the weather has made cycling more comfortable.

Need to step that up if I want to get to 195.

Cycling, running, and light weight lifting.

Watched a program on fasting for health last night on PBS. Seems 2 fasts (500 calorie days) a week nets some big health improvements including weight loss. Might give that a try after more research.

Craig

Awesome job Marty and Jeremy!

Thanks Rider!

This thread is good motivation, especially NightRider and my boy Marty. I have seen Marty in the last couple months, and he looks great! (I am so squeezing him in the trailer at the track this year!). . .

Steve, ya gotta share with John, sorry bud. I'm trying to get R1Nutswinger to utilize my trainer. If you're willing to commit, I'll get you in touch with her as well (don't have to go twice a week like I do).

This hasn't been easy, but I'm really starting to get addicted to it. I actually had my trainer tell me to take this weekend off from running. I did two runs last week (5K each) but strained my right calf muscle each time, so to avoid really screwing up right now I guess I'll listen to her! Had mini-me join me for each of those runs and he's doing a 5K with me at the end of this month.

When I get a chance I'll post up "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say as to how I got motivated and it might help motivate some of you who are trying to get motivated.

Thanks Rider!

Steve, ya gotta share with John, sorry bud. I'm trying to get R1Nutswinger to utilize my trainer. If you're willing to commit, I'll get you in touch with her as well (don't have to go twice a week like I do).

This hasn't been easy, but I'm really starting to get addicted to it. I actually had my trainer tell me to take this weekend off from running. I did two runs last week (5K each) but strained my right calf muscle each time, so to avoid really screwing up right now I guess I'll listen to her! Had mini-me join me for each of those runs and he's doing a 5K with me at the end of this month.

When I get a chance I'll post up "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say as to how I got motivated and it might help motivate some of you who are trying to get motivated.

First, I ain't gotta share shit with John, depsite there being less of you to love on.

Running is something I can't really do. I had microfracture surgery on my left knee a few years back, and while its helped for everyday stuff, running really takes a toll on it. i.e. I can barely walk the next day. That's why I can't do a lot of plyometric stuff. Still, there are plenty of things I can do, and I am looking to get back to cycling. Plus, that is good for the quads and hammies, and that helps at the track. Not sure how expensive a personal trainer is, but PM me her info. I can take a look and see what I might be able to do.

First, I ain't gotta share shit with John, depsite there being less of you to love on.

Running is something I can't really do. I had microfracture surgery on my left knee a few years back, and while its helped for everyday stuff, running really takes a toll on it. i.e. I can barely walk the next day. That's why I can't do a lot of plyometric stuff. Still, there are plenty of things I can do, and I am looking to get back to cycling. Plus, that is good for the quads and hammies, and that helps at the track. Not sure how expensive a personal trainer is, but PM me her info. I can take a look and see what I might be able to do.

PM sent.

I don't mind bulking up when its muscle and not fat. As long as I lose the flab ill be happy.

Yep.

I got back in the gym (consistently) about 3 months ago. Started under 170, and now I'm over 180. But I've definitely lost fat along the way.

I'm also running at least once a week at 3-8 miles, usually with sets of pull-ups and push-ups mixed in every mile and a half.

Tough mudder is less than 3 weeks away. I'm ready.

As promised, progress pic and the rest of the story.

405923113.jpg

I knew that the road would not be easy, but I had to do something! Let’s take a quick trip back to March 2011. Got home from work and wasn’t feeling good, but attributed the pain in my side to having a few to many spicy wings while at lunch and figured it was indigestion. As the evening progressed I started to feel worse and worse. I couldn’t lay down, it hurt to stand up and I started to realize that it was my right side that was hurting me, not the left side. Called the nurse-on-call for our medical group and talked with her briefly. She was concerned and had the doctor-on-call get in touch with me. By this time it hurt to breath, but beyond that and the pain in my side I felt fine. The doctor called and didn’t like what they were hearing from me and advised me to go to the ER and make sure it wasn't appendicitis. Sure enough after a few tests and a scan of my abdominal area it was confirmed; inflamed appendix, I’m not leaving the hospital and will have surgery in the morning.

Woke up around 4:30 in the morning with severe paid and hitting the call button to get the nurse into my room and get me some more pain killers. No dice, having surgery in an hour so I have to grin and bear it. At that point I ask the nurse what my weight is. That’s when I knew I was in trouble. 290 lbs., she’s got to be wrong, but deep down inside I knew that was probably right.

I didn’t do too much in 2011 to start reversing the process. Yeah I talked about it and thought about it, but didn’t do any thing about it. Now it’s January / February 2012 and I know I have to do something, this is getting ridiculous! Just by chance I clicked on either DailyDealCleveland or one of those coupon-type sites and saw a coupon to try out the boot-camp style workouts at a reduced rate. To make sure it wasn’t the type of place that pushed strict diets, supplements and other stuff like that I dropped them an email to feel them out. After reading their response I knew that I was going to try it out and if I liked it that I would sign up for more sessions. I hit my first session on a Thursday night and lasted only half the class, I was beat and couldn’t lift my legs or my arms. Friday came along and man I was sore! Saturday morning, got my butt out of bed and got in for the 8:00 session and you know what, I survived the whole class! Man I knew I found the right place to get back in shape! The instructors pushed you hard, but they made sure you were doing it right. After a few months I met my current trainer for the first time at a Saturday class. At first when I saw her in there I though she was a participant. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Fast forward a little bit into 2012 and things changed but it was a blessing in disguise. No more boot camps and the focus changed over to personal training. I showed up one evening hoping for a boot camp, but no luck. Instead I was offered a personal training session with my current trainer. I figured that it couldn’t hurt. Yeah I was wrong on that one the next day! I consider myself to be very fortunate that by pure chance I ended up getting “teamed up” with her. When I started working with her I was at 247 lbs. in August 2012. Not bad, but still a ways off of my goal. About two weeks later and I’m down to 243 lbs. and dropped three inches. I’m feeling better, but still a ways to go to reaching my goal. Two months later (November 2012) and I’m down to 241 lbs. and a little disappointed in myself. But I had to remind myself that It took years to get to where I was in 2011 and that it would take time to get to where I wanted to be.

Before 2012 ended I decided that I had two goals in 2013, Tackle the Tower was in February and I was determined to do it and I decided to start training for a 5K in May 2013. After the New Year rolled in, I decided to see if my trainer would join me in doing Tackle the Tower in February. Deep down I was hoping she would say “no” so that I had an excuse not to do it (oh great here I go again making excuses). Out of the blue she gave a rather enthusiastic and surprising answer of “yes” to doing Tackle the Tower with me.

On February 2, 2013 my trainer and I competed in Tackle the Tower. Before I reveal my stats for that day I have to give congratulations to my trainer for her 3rd place finish in her age group. I saw my trainer take off on the first flight of stairs and my start was 10 second after hers. She disappeared from sight and I knew that it was now-or-never. All I heard was the word “GO” and I headed up the 38 flights of stairs that awaited me. My first goal was to finish and the second goal was to finish in less than 20 minutes. 9 minutes and 52.8 seconds later I saw my trainer waiting for me at the top. I survived but had to wait to see what my time was until about 4 hours later. When I saw my time later that day I just about fell out of my chair as I didn’t think I would do that good.

406202243.jpg

On March 9, 2013 I got weighed again and to my surprise, 221 lbs.! I have to thank my current trainer and a few others at my gym for getting me this far in just one year. If it wasn’t for the constant pushing, motivation and positive reinforcement I don’t think I would be where I am at today, only 21 lbs. away from my goal.

I also have to single out my trainer at this point in time. She’s been a HUGE inspiration with her hard work on her goals that she has. If anyone doubts what they can accomplish, just re-read this write up! If after 20 years of being a lazy bum I can be within stiking distance of my goal, anyone can get there!

Little update from the last couple days. Yesterday was core day on the DVDs. so after wards I ran steps for 20 Minutes. Today was a tough day at work, besides the fact that my legs are smoked. then I played 9 holes of golf. Partner had the cart and I walked most of it.

Lots of motivation here, great job to all of you that lost weight. I started packing on weight in college and went from a 34 waist jeans to a 42. At my heaviest I was around 310 but I'm down to around 290 now just by cutting out soda and mild diet changes. I have been looking for a workout that I enjoy and will stick with. My schedule working 12 hour 3rd shift is a huge deal I have to overcome as well as a hectic family life with 3 little ones. I know those are just excuses and I have to make the time to make the change. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress here, it is very motivational to see others succeed in their goals that are similar to my own.

I just quit smoking(this Sunday will be the 2 week mark) nothing good has come of this. At week 1(exactly) I snapped on my buddies roommate who was coming down off of heroin(3 days clean) and ended up dislocating his arm. Here is what I looked like after our Easter rumble

20130331_060544.jpg

I also gained like 10lb since I quit smoking I know I need to start working out to keep the weight off and keep my anger issues from smoking to a minimum. I have plenty of time to work out, but I just have a lack of motivation.

Drink more water. It has been almost 5yrs since I quit smoking. Yoga and water was my friend. The yoga thought me how to stay calm and breath the water helped the hand to mouth habit. Just a suggestion as we are all a little different.

Did a killer Back and shoulder Work out today. my arms are still heavy and I did that 5 hours ago. I went to GNC and bought some whey protein shake. it gives me a great boost after a work out. so much so I feel like doing more. I know it will not help with Losing weigh necessarily but the energy boost allows me to do more where normally id be smoked. so I feel its a great trade off..

I tried a high protein diet while doing P90x, and even though I was drinking what I would consider to be excessive amounts of water, my kidneys were hurting. I have had kidney stones in the past, so maybe that's part of it, but it was not good for me.

• Upvote 1

Did a killer Back and shoulder Work out today. my arms are still heavy and I did that 5 hours ago. I went to GNC and bought some whey protein shake. it gives me a great boost after a work out. so much so I feel like doing more. I know it will not help with Losing weigh necessarily but the energy boost allows me to do more where normally id be smoked. so I feel its a great trade off..

If you got the cash, take whey before and right after, and casein protein before bed. Casein last up to 8 hours and whey around 30 minutes. In late 90s and up to 2004 I was lean and stacked so I learned everything about supplementing. Took No2, L-Glutamine, and sometimes creatine.

I guess I will throw myself into this. I am 46. My weight came on slowly over the last 15 to 20 years. This time last year, I was at 300 lbs. The first thing I did was to give up pop. I drink one green tea a day, and the rest is water. I dropped a bunch of weight fast but it eventually stopped.

The next thing I did was to add some gym time in. Then I joined the online Weight Watchers. I used to go to the meetings, but they focus on how to handle cravings for sweets. I don't crave sweets. I want biscuits and gravy or steak and potatoes, or burgers and fries. So, for me, I just have to learn to cut out the more fatty foods.

Today I weighed in at 266. I am really happy, but I want to get to 200. Its going slow, but it went on slow.

Good luck to everybody. Keep plugging away!

• Upvote 1

If you got the cash, take whey before and right after, and casein protein before bed. Casein last up to 8 hours and whey around 30 minutes. In late 90s and up to 2004 I was lean and stacked so I learned everything about supplementing. Took No2, L-Glutamine, and sometimes creatine.

I actually bought the 60G protein Shake. and I use 1.5 scoops instead of the 3 scoops since your body can only take 20-25 at a time anyway.Plus it ends up being cheaper, I also snagged it for 2/$50 normally $38 per.

Couple years ago my brother and I started lifting hard and we were taking Mdrol. we both had Awesome results during the 6 week cycle but If I didnt drink enough water I would start to get the shakes. awful bad. Then after wards If you didnt still hammer the weights and protein you would lose a lot of it in the next 6 weeks. weird shit. Wont be doing that again.

I just quit smoking(this Sunday will be the 2 week mark) nothing good has come of this. At week 1(exactly) I snapped on my buddies roommate who was coming down off of heroin(3 days clean) and ended up dislocating his arm. Here is what I looked like after our Easter rumble

20130331_060544.jpg

I also gained like 10lb since I quit smoking I know I need to start working out to keep the weight off and keep my anger issues from smoking to a minimum. I have plenty of time to work out, but I just have a lack of motivation.

Quitting associating with heroin users will be better for your health than quitting smoking.