DIY Truck Bed Coatings - Anyone?

Jcarlson

Has anyone ever used a spray/roll/brush on truck bed coating? How'd it work for you? I see there are many brands - Rust-Oleum, Dupli Color, Herculiner, etc.

I recently purchased a 5x10 ramp trailer to haul two bikes around on. I loaded them up the other day and noticed how close to the metal sides of the trailer the bikes sit.

I thought if I coated the side rails with truck bed liner that would protect the bikes. I searched for them online and found a few so I'm looking for user reviews of the product(s).

Thanks

Jim

Some ( or maybe all ) of the liquid bedliners have some sort of grit in them for anti-slip, which may end up scratching the bikes instead of protecting them. Are you talking about raised rails like on a utility trailer? Some slit foam ( like pool noodles, or gas pipe insulation ) could be slid over the railing to cushion against the bikes

Once my dad found out how Rhino Liner is applied he decided against it as he thought it would kill the cost of his truck

Rhinos take massive shits on the bed of your truck and then let it bake in the sun...I can only see this process as improving the value.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious too. My new truck has a plastic liner in it I want to get rid of, they are junk. I'd like a spray on liner but am a bit hesitant doing it myself.

Take that out ASAP and either throw it in the trash, or put some sort of protective tape where you see it rubbing the paint. Mine wore through to bare metal and was rusting in a matter of months.

I got a Rhino Liner and it has held up fine for over a decade. Not much goes in my bed that doesn't have tires though.

Take that out ASAP and either throw it in the trash, or put some sort of protective tape where you see it rubbing the paint. Mine wore through to bare metal and was rusting in a matter of months.

I got a Rhino Liner and it has held up fine for over a decade. Not much goes in my bed that doesn't have tires though.

yep, I know. Haven't had a chance to pull it out yet but I will, for that reason. Hate plastic liners, not to mention shit like leaves and water gets caught between and helps to exacerbate the wear and tear

I did a DupliColor bed liner myself in my S10. The only complaint I had was my fault. I had never painted or anything before. When I sanded it (by hand) I did not rough up some areas enough. After about a year, I had a few spots flake and reveal smooth shiny paint. Wherever I sanded good, it held good.

I thought if I coated the side rails with truck bed liner that would protect the bikes.

As Hellmutt stated, I do not think that paint/truck liner would offer much protection if a bike would fall or rub against the side of the trailer.

As far as spray in truck liners go for trucks, I personally would spend the extra money and have the uv protection used. I have seen too many fade over time and end up looking very bad. The ones with uv protection seem to stay their color longer.

For what it worth, I have had a plastic liner in my 96 work truck since new and had taken it out every spring for a wash and wax. It's the only part of the truck after 300k miles that still shines:)

From what I have found, the plastic liners are nice if you are hauling large/heavy objects that have sharp edges or things that you want to be easily removed or slid from the bed- drywall,rock, gravel,mulch,manure etc.

Spray in bed liners offer good protection and a less slippery surface which is nice if you are climbing in and out of your bed alot and I think look better compared to hard plastic liners. But they are susceptible to gouges/tears if a sharp, heavy item is allowed to slide across it and my only real issue with them, make removing items that I would haul, a pain to get out of the truck easily.

Done 2 so far, biggest thing is PREP WORK. As stated if you don't rough up EVERYTHING, it won't stick.

My first one was like a Raptor brand or something, it was thinner than I would have liked, but held up well. It came with it's own spray gun for compressed air, and was real easy. Second one was just a no name similar to any of the above, it's thicker and has held up fine, except in a few places around some tail gate bolts that I didn't rough up enough.

IF I had a balla truck, like brand new F350, 3500, etc, and it was really nice, good shape, I would spend the cash and get a professional one done no questions asked. Line-X is actually my prefered, but Rhino Liner would be my second. I never get UV protection as I always have a soft tonneau cover on it.

I half assed my truck with Herculiner, didnt mix it well enough and its VERY gritty to the point I've scraped my hand countless times but its a work truck and its held up great

I do however NOT recomend it for the application you would like. If you're worried about the bikes rubbing I would look for some sort of foam or felt

Go with anything rubberized. I unfortunately used Dupli-color and its just a hard coating and everything slides around. Id suggest going with herculiner. Get a Wire brush head on a drill scruff the crap out of the bed. Id washe the bed out after doing it with water, let it dry and then rub it down with some acetone. It'll turn out great.

I had rhino lining on my last truck, it was nice. I am considering dumping the plastic liner and doing linex this time. Although not sure it is necessary if I get a cap.

Edited by crb

Go with anything rubberized. I unfortunately used Dupli-color and its just a hard coating and everything slides around. Id suggest going with herculiner. Get a Wire brush head on a drill scruff the crap out of the bed. Id washe the bed out after doing it with water, let it dry and then rub it down with some acetone. It'll turn out great.

That's kinda how my first one was actually. Not a fan at all, but it did last. And yep, totally agree with the steel brush, way easier. I would actually not use water to rinse, I would recommend some rubbing alcohol on a rag. Then air dry for a few minutes and done, after compressed air first of course.

Yeah, it's a 5x10 ramp trailer like you see the lawn guys use for their mowers. It has raised side rails about 10", 11" tall - just angle iron type stuff, has open sides.

I have two bikes I'll be putting on there and it's a tight fit but it works. Mine has plastics Kawi Concours) and my wife's bike has chrome pipes (Vstar cruiser) and she'll have my nuts if I scratch those pipes.

Helmutt - Good idea on the pool noodles. Never thought of that. Do they come in black - LOL? Or I could use pipe insulation. Also good point on the abrasive non-skid finish. Didn't give that a thought.

Jim

Tool dip. They sell it in a spray can. Rough it up good and spray away.

I have Linex in my truck. It is thick, black, rough and indestructible. Like my pecker.

Nothing slides around on it. Also like my pecker.