Good twisty and "safe" roads around Dayton/Southwest?

Bitani

And by safe, I mean "I don't want a ticket."

Yesterday was the first day I went to Hueston Woods, and the roads were freaking amazing. I was riding with 3 other people, but they were only going max 10 mph above the posted (I wasn't willing to ride my hardest at 45 degrees and a wee bit salty either, but dang...) Theoretically, let's say I were to have broken off from them and gone a "little" faster through the turns. And let's say a ranger, should that ever happen, would pass by and throw on the red and blues. I would never, ever keep going and hide out for a few minutes. Ever. That kind of story is why I was a good boy and stayed with the group... :rolleyes:

Are rangers a normality in Hueston Woods to the point of hard riding there being a bad idea? I'm not even sure if the only road there is the one, but I figure I might as well ask before going back and.. y'know. It's close enough that I could make it my daily twisty ride if that area has more roads than just the one we were on.

And what are other roads around Dayton/SW Ohio that are good rides? I tried scouting out the ones that were ridden a few months ago with a group of OR at Caesar's Creek, but I could find little. And the only other stuff I know is like 2 miles of roads in Germantown.

I need to widen my list! Or am I just better off going down to NKY erryday?

Edited by Bitani

Yeah that's about it

Short and sweet. :p

I've kind of figured that, but figured somebody might have been keeping a little pot of street gold to themselves.

If all else fails, NKY erryday I'm free it is.

Putnam :)

Putnam Rd? St? How do I find it?

Just kidding. Already planned on this year being my first track day! Just can't decide between Putnam and Mid-O. :p

And speaking of which, (I'm sure the topic will change now...) how much would you say I should expect to spend each track day beyond just the cost to go? I've already got the gear.

There is only one "safe" road that's the track. Every other road you run the risk. There are a few decent roads. The dayton route is decent. Oldschoolesdime92 knows a bunch of north dayton roads that are decent. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll pass him a note.

And I know no public roads are "safe," but some are definitely "safer" than others. And track days can't be every day, or cheaper.. unfortunately.

Go ride with NinjaNick.....word has it he knows some of the better roads down there, and word also has it he might like to go faster than posted limits? Maybe? :dunno:

Oh and go to Putnam first, MidO may play spoiler for other tracks ;)

Putnam Rd? St? How do I find it?

Just kidding. Already planned on this year being my first track day! Just can't decide between Putnam and Mid-O. :p

And speaking of which, (I'm sure the topic will change now...) how much would you say I should expect to spend each track day beyond just the cost to go? I've already got the gear.

Thanks! I'll pass him a note.

And I know no public roads are "safe," but some are definitely "safer" than others. And track days can't be every day, or cheaper.. unfortunately.

Budget $300 to cover all your bases for a track day.....I'd typically add up the fees/food/fuel, then add a hundo so you dont have surprises :D

Go ride with NinjaNick.....word has it he knows some of the better roads down there, and word also has it he might like to go faster than posted limits? Maybe? :dunno:

Oh and go to Putnam first, MidO may play spoiler for other tracks ;)

Budget $300 to cover all your bases for a track day.....I'd typically add up the fees/food/fuel, then add a hundo so you dont have surprises :D

No! But that'd be breaking the law. I sure hope nobody on this forum would ever even think about going faster than what the sign on the side of the road says. :wtf:

And $300 is pretty much exactly what I was thinking I was looking at. Cool. Now to just figure out a makeshift ramp to get the bike into my minivan and I'm golden. :p (Perhaps I should just trailer up with somebody else from the forum to avoid Soccer Mom Syndrome.)

No! But that'd be breaking the law. I sure hope nobody on this forum would ever even think about going faster than what the sign on the side of the road says. :wtf:

And $300 is pretty much exactly what I was thinking I was looking at. Cool. Now to just figure out a makeshift ramp to get the bike into my minivan and I'm golden. :p (Perhaps I should just trailer up with somebody else from the forum to avoid Soccer Mom Syndrome.)

Yeah, we don't break laws around here so watch yourself ;)

And minivan the bike, it will love you for the carpeted air conditioning :D

you poor bastards in dayton. lol so far away from the good playgrounds of KY. not the jelly you sick o.

if you guys ever want to meet up and ride just hit me up. me a a few others are almost always out on sundays. usually around 11:30am til whenever.

Edited by serpentracer

Harbor Freight has your ramp solution covered:

dirt-bike-ramp.jpg

KY is pretty much worth the ride if you have the day to spare.

Supermoto/minibike trackday at G&J is pretty awesome too; $10/person+gas to get there.

There aren't very many good long sections of twisties within about 30 miles though.

I don't know if you are north or south Dayton but I grew up in Bellbrook & here's my 2 cents. Sugarcreek township Stewart Rd. Lower Bellbrook Road between Bellbrook & Xenia. You really need to get rural (northern KY) to do it right but if you must remain local these roads are ok. Ride safe.