More bad press for GoPro

Casper

Between this, Mojoe's issues with the Hero3 battery, and the improper DMCA takedown (you mean their legal department doesn't know the difference between "trademark" and "copyright"?) they're doing a very good job of torpedoing any goodwill they had.

The article has many of the same issues with customer service I encountered and my write up posted here on OR. They are going to need to fix the issues and do a huge price cut with a good working product, if they want to recover with a good name.

Agreed. But shipping a known-broken firmware with that kind of glaring issue, that's just insane. Does anybody do proper usability testing anymore?

Microsoft did this same thing with the first edition of XBox 360,Serious hardware issues !

Contour has always been better. Go-pro's marketing is the ONLY reason it made it so far.

Thats what I was just going to say, I don't own either, but everyone who has a Contour loves and swears by it. I've seen several bikes wadded with a contour and it's always fine, the Gopro's I've seen on wadded bikes NEVER make it out alive. I mean 0 times. We run a GoPro on the late model but only because it's inside the cabin and basically behind the drivers head. But if we tried to run it on anywhere else, I gurantee it wouldn't last.

Microsoft did this same thing with the first edition of XBox 360,Serious hardware issues !

First edition? I thought the RRoD/overheating issue extended out a few hardware versions until they figured out the proper heatsink to put on the chips. I could be wrong, I decided when all that stuff went down that I wasn't going to buy one for that reason, that I just couldn't trust the hardware.

I was given a Hero3 white by the Mrs. for Christmas. I asked for one, never had a problem with any of the ones I have used before. I do understand the Contours are nice, and hav eseen some awesome footage through them. I am not too worried, Doc. I would suspect you should be OK. besides, if you have ever had TWC, you would know how to deal with shitty customer service! :D

I love my Contour Roam. It does great. I planned to get a Roam+2 this year as well as it takes what made the Roam so good gave it what the Hero 3 has and put it in a package like the Roam. But its got the added ability of having GPS coordinates encoded into the video.

I posted this on this site in another thread.....

I never liked the gopro units from the get go...If they had put a lcd screen in the back to show what was being shot I would probably have bought one a long time ago. Glad I didn't and now that I read crap like this, I WILL NEVER BUY ONE. If it was a know problem with the OS software, They should be paying the TOTAL cost of any tech support. And even that isn't solving the problem, but just delaying it till it happens again. There is no better way to promote or degrade a product than word of mouth. Any company that would knowingly sell their product with a known discrepancy and then have the gall to charge their customers to temporarily fix it while they work on new software needs to be shut down. Best way is to remove their source of operating capital. Tell everyone you know not to buy their crap and then, just maybe then, they will get the message.

I was given a Hero3 white by the Mrs. for Christmas. I asked for one, never had a problem with any of the ones I have used before. I do understand the Contours are nice, and hav eseen some awesome footage through them. I am not too worried, Doc. I would suspect you should be OK. besides, if you have ever had TWC, you would know how to deal with shitty customer service! :D

:D hahaha

i also heard that along with go pros issues they seem to have forgotten where they came from. He used to be a small distributor for go pro, and once they got into stores like walmart and best buy , they wanted nothing to do with there smaller counter parts. While I have a go pro, I don't believe I will be buying a second one.

I posted this on this site in another thread.....

I never liked the gopro units from the get go...If they had put a lcd screen in the back to show what was being shot I would probably have bought one a long time ago. Glad I didn't and now that I read crap like this, I WILL NEVER BUY ONE.

Yes, you're very hipster, hating gopro before it was fashionable.

• Upvote 1

I hate these whiney bastards. He bought an action camera that could do time-lapse and when it can't capture 5 days of pics, he bitches. Go buy a time lapse camera and make it do action shots with mega vibration or hold it while hucking a 40'ft cornice and then come back and bitch.

Ok, camera has a bug but then, what piece of software doesn't. It is only when people start testing the boundries and using a product that is not its intended purpose that these issue are found.

Company knows about the issue, working on a solution and offered to fix it. Ce La Vi!

I bought mine and love it. I bought it to use it as it was designed to be use and I have no complaints. Quirkiness and all.

BMW has been making bikes and cars for years and we all know not to buy the first year model. S1000RR is an awesome bike but the first year had its issues just as the K1200S had issues. Identify issue, notify customers, provide solution.

Hope the guy doesn't play MMOs. He would have a coronary with all the release bugs.

I hate these whiney bastards. He bought an action camera that could do time-lapse and when it can't capture 5 days of pics, he bitches. Go buy a time lapse camera and make it do action shots with mega vibration or hold it while hucking a 40'ft cornice and then come back and bitch.

Ok, camera has a bug but then, what piece of software doesn't. It is only when people start testing the boundries and using a product that is not its intended purpose that these issue are found.

Company knows about the issue, working on a solution and offered to fix it. Ce La Vi!

I bought mine and love it. I bought it to use it as it was designed to be use and I have no complaints. Quirkiness and all.

BMW has been making bikes and cars for years and we all know not to buy the first year model. S1000RR is an awesome bike but the first year had its issues just as the K1200S had issues. Identify issue, notify customers, provide solution.

Hope the guy doesn't play MMOs. He would have a coronary with all the release bugs.

You clearly don't work in the IT field. Bugs like this are entirely and completely preventable with proper QA and usability testing. Furthermore, in this era of modularity, I should be able to download new firmware to flash my device without having to box the thing up and ship it out on my dime for a simple software upgrade.

The disconnect with "Identify issue, notify customers, provide solution" and what's happening here is that even though the issue was identified, the customers were never informed, and the solution is so onerous as to not be a solution at all. That's not the way you run a business.

I agree, and why is he bringing this up years later?

You clearly don't work in the IT field. Bugs like this are entirely and completely preventable with proper QA and usability testing. Furthermore, in this era of modularity, I should be able to download new firmware to flash my device without having to box the thing up and ship it out on my dime for a simple software upgrade.

The disconnect with "Identify issue, notify customers, provide solution" and what's happening here is that even though the issue was identified, the customers were never informed, and the solution is so onerous as to not be a solution at all. That's not the way you run a business.

I get that they missed the notify customers step of this, but when he contacted them they were already working on the issue. They provided him the option of downloading the new firmware as soon as it was available.

You clearly don't work in the IT field. Bugs like this are entirely and completely preventable with proper QA and usability testing.

Microsoft must not work in the IT field either... Can you say Vista?! In today's world, QA is up to the customers... Why else would there be patches (other than for security purposes) to fix bugs?!

Yes, OTW firmware patches should be the norm... I know I can update my gopro by using the app from gopro.com. Not sure why this patch would be any different.