USR62 closing

Unk Greg

ITZ OPEN. Yesterday they opened the road by Danville. USR62 is open! Yay!

Sunday looks to be sunny....Flash Ride!!! 62 from Danville to 206, or maybe just run 520 from Killbuck to 514 to Danville then back to Killbuck on 62,,,,,I just can't decide....hmmm, maybe just run them all.

Garage door open and see which way the wind is blowing.....HA!

OMG..LOL... Itz closed again! What? I don't think it was open a week and now they have started another project...YES...USR62 is closed once again. This time between Millwood and Danville.

I figure the detour uses SR 36 to SR715 maybe. I see at my end that they are using SR206.

From Mt. Vernon way, roll past Apple Valley using SR36 then split off at Howard on the county road (Danville - Howard road).

Or..... y'all just don't come here anymore.......jeez.

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

More info on USR62 between Millwood and Danville. Looks like culvert replacements. Multiple pavement markings for projects. Road closing for work and then opened when done, until next culvert.

Detour is/was as suspected. Runs you on SR36 at Millwood east on 36 to SR715 and pick up SR206 at Walhounding, north on 206 to return to 62. Went thru 62 from Millwood to Danville this weekend, expect 'random' closings...take yer chances then?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Springtime out and abouts: summary rough winter and lotsa potholes....what i have found on my precious few outings is...USR62 is terrible between Brinkhaven and Danville. You will find ruts that will snatch the handle bars away from you...be careful. At SR206 and down them wonderful curves are the last year's tar snakes....wet and its skippy time. summer? when tar get oozey?

Danville and the Danvll-Amity Rd. uh, don't go....I'm not sure I like traveling it with the SUV. Pavement rough and patches make it worse, as some of the patches are gone. Danville-Howard Rd. uhmm, okay, they chipped and sealed it last summer, with pea gravel...Knox Co. Seems to like the lil' rolly pea sized stones.

Howard Hilton, okay burgers....Apple Valley eatery has reopened, same guy that has two places in Mt. Vernon...also decent burgers.

Wally Road, connecting Greer on SR514 and to SR3 at Loudonville. Consider the Greer side of Wally Rd as you would a gravel road, pretty much all the pavement from Tree Frog to Greer is gone. So if you like rattling plastic or on an adventure bike...otherwise.....avoid it.

Other odds and ends....SR83 from Millersburg South to Coshocton and New Concord pretty good. I actually cut off of 83 onto SR209 to Cambridge. 209 is patched in places but passable. Poked around back roads in Guernsey Co. Area around Salt Fork....found some very nice tight twisty roads. Birmingham Rd?.....popped out on the other side of Salt Fork and headed north(?). I'll hafta figure out which roads I played on....let y'all know later.

SR22 by Salt Fork is okay....and speaking of which....just out of Cambridge towards Salt Fork will be Deerassic Classic come August 1 & 2.

Coshocton....209 as mentioned above.....took SR658 to SR541, the east side of 541. I call the section from i77 to Coshocton East, and the part from Roscoe Village to Martinsburg is West. SR658 okay, passable, but it has some older patches....travel south on it looks to be better than going north. 541 east to Coshocton, not too bad....potholes not until Coshocton itself.

Encountered lotsa gravel on these roads, most likely sprinkled down from last snow....rain and traffic should thin it out. Again be careful!

More as I start traveling more.

• Upvote 2

Smiles....keeping folks current.

Forgot.....Whits is open in Coshocton and Mt. Vernon's very soon ( if not already).

2tall....36 and 229 are okie dokie.

Yup Whits has been open in Vernon for a while I drive by every day to and from work

Inre: SR520, it is good...strange stress cracks at 90 degree to travel...no issue.....BUT, SR514 from Danville to West end of 520 is showing itz age. Stress cracks along edge line wheel track and various patching done. One big concern is a section of pavement that is raveled .... Chunks not pavement. So slow down for that beauty.

Re-read my tar snake comment in the Spring entry.... They are not on 206, the tar strips are on USR 62 from 206 east towards Stillwell (Fred's junk yard). Fred has some sort of old mc sitting on his truck at the front gate.....laying on itz side and all muddy. Game on for the curious...stop and see....the Coke machine got dumped to the ground though.

Was on 206 a coupla Fridays ago....one of the warm ones....forget what it was like.....soooo, mus' be okay if I can't remember it! Only rode 206 from 715/Walhounding to 62. 715 is still the old chip and seal that has let loose in spots....they did try to fix them bumps going onto the bridge(s).

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the update....soccer game Saturday and drove USR62 from boonies to big city. Looks like all of 62 will be repaved. Well from like Johnstown to Danville and into Holmes. Flashing lights barricades sitting along side of road. Closest to Johnstown one was lit and flashing...Work starting 4/14/14....so I'm figuring sections down and onto next paving operation. Adjust accordingly.

2tall......Vern Whits raised their prices....it is a buck more than last summer for my usual....that'll put Kershocton Whit's 50 cents cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

520 NOT GOOD....saw barricades today....closed. Right now it is closed near USR62. I ran 520 from 514 to Killbuck, turning on the short county road 62A - brings you into Killbuck and pick up SR60 at what passes for the town square.

Wife says heard replacing culverts .... So not sure if that means this one culvert or gonna go up and down the highway digging up the new, last year, pavement.

Gotta love it.

Oh, yeah SR229 closed 2 miles east of Gambier, soon if not now....saw barricades laying for it. Enjoy yer summer!

CONFIRMING....SR520 reopened....they did ditch work for the portion near USR62, so just some mud and gravel along berm...'till it rains...oop, itz raining.

SR229 near Gambier, also opened .... Culvert replacement (right in the apex) on turn. Concrete patch.

The only remaing issue will be the resurfacing of USR62. From my end, Holmes County line and 22.5 miles of repave....then more sections running past Martinsburg/Utica.

I leave you now....

• 4 weeks later...

This morning and....signage, USR62 will be closed for about a month. So leaving the area that all the paving scheduled is to be done, and once into Holmes Co. heading east from Danville and well before SR206 the road will be closed. Looked like a culvert replacement. No handy way around it.

That is all....

Major, major, correction......in my early AM traveling stupor....i had misread the sign. The road is closing on 5/27 (with my addled thought of one month closed...I.e. 27 days)...NOT SO....it will be closed for 5 days. Project would be about 2 or 3 miles east of Holmes County line, from Danville direction.

Again, the only go around looks like 514 (Danville) north to SR520....don't forget the daily closing of 520 for maint. work. Presumed that 520 would be allowed open on weekends. Unless you are on a dirt bike, ATV or adventure bike....then you could drop off and down into the woods on Twp Rd 5, just before the Road Closed barricade on USR62. A Very gravel road that snakes around and you could end up in and around Glenmont (eventually). I think Twp Rd 5 takes you to Twp Rd 7.... Left on twp rd 7 (if it actually is twp. rd. 7) and you are thru a cut stone tunnel passing under the once railroad line and end up back near Brinkhaven and Mohican River. Taking 7 right and you'll wind around thru the backwoods to come out on Co. Rd. 70 (?).... Being the county road opposite the termination of SR206 at USR62. Turning right at intersection of Twp Rd. 7 and onto CR70 will take you to USR62 and the north end of SR206.

AND, i see that SR60 north of Killbuck, below the intersection of SR39, will be closed on 8/5, near Welcome (a turn that poses as a town). This too looks to be a culvert replacement....

Confused yet? Good luck.....

• Upvote 1

Used my unofficial detour very early this AM.....coming from Danville and going east towards Greater Killbuck Metro Area. Traveled USR62, past the road closed signs, past the road closed 1000 ft.....past the road closed 500 ft....as you see the actual road closed barricades, do the pro-rally turn....grab hand brake and turn left...a dropping hairpin turn.....you can't actually see the road that goes down from 62. Remember that in the wee early morning darkness.... : )

This is Twp Rd. 5....dirt, gravel and chunky rocks....narrow too. Travel to stop sign and that is Richland Twp road 13 (not 7 as previously mentioned...gimme a break, I haven't been back in there for an eon or two.) at the stop sign you will see the cut stone tunnel....no need to travel left to get a glimpse of it. Snap yer pic and turn right onto Twp Rd 13....following that narrow gravel and mud....curious now as it is raining like a son-of-a-gun....how that mud will be....anyway, back to directions. Follow Twp 13 out to county road 25 (not 70 as mentioned earlier....although if ya find 70 there is another cut stone tunnel (Baddow Pass)....at stop sign at CR25 turn right and follow it back to USR62. Stop sign there and straight ahead is SR206, but you would be turning left back onto 62 to return to your direction.

If ya ain't into adventure bike, ATV back roads....take 514 north outa Danville to 520 and follow it back to 62 (just remember too the daily closing thru daytime for state working).

Then too, just take SR36 East to SR715 and travel 715 to Walhounding and grab SR206 north backbtonthe aforementioned intersection of USR62, Holmes CR25 (older chip and sealed)....then y'all can turn right onto 62 and resume yer easterly trek.

Haven't messed with the south side of 62 dirt roads lately....Cavillo Station....oooo, there's an idea.....do a run and everyone try and figure out where exactly Cavillo Station is and converge there....you will run out of paved roads....hint, should you choose to try that rally ride...you'd be around 8 miles away from Walhounding, in deep woods.

AND, by this posting...you see I am still here.....we are not the Killbuck couple that crashed on SR93. Brad Yoder and wife, she was dead at scene and he was life-flighted. I can't add anymore than that......gotta go as I heard wife shrieking....it'sa humongous spider on the curtains...can you comr get it?

This morning had....a barricade moved into the traffic lane near Brinkhaven....and the road closed signs by project moved to right at the hidden Twp Rd....so if you are parking brake drift turning for that dropping Twp Rd., you could clip the barricades with yer right rear quarter panel.

Smiling....

Ride bike in to work and then...left at 1:30AM....took 229 outa Mt. Vernon, until it connects with 36....piped the Fox Den, figured working girls still there...thought about 206, but dark and looking for deer. Because I was watching for deer I stayed on 36 to Warsaw and then 60 north to Killbuckia and USR62....no problems, no traffic and just dark with a bumper crop (get it?) of raccoons zipping to and for in the 36 to 40 mile run. So there is a way around paving and road closed.

This afternoon, out and about and see that the barricades announcing 62 closed x-miles ahead are moved to the shoulder and turned away ... So 62 maybe reopened near Danville.....not headed that way today. If you are in Danville and don't see the barricade up...looks like okie dokie.