My Mosin Nagant

Gunner75

Ok so a little over a month ago I purchased a 1935 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Tula hex receiver with a sealed spam can of milsurp Russian ammo manufactured in 71, and 75 rounds of Silver Bear. Cost me a total of $200. Ive since went through several websites including 7.62x54r.net and managed to narrow it down. It was selected for above average accuracy that is due to the C and crylic R on the receiver. So at some point it was selected for sniper service, however I think given that the Russians needed weapons for the field this one was never placed into sniper service and it was put into the field anyways. The other reason why is given the age of the rifle it would have had a scout type center mounted scope where they would have bored out 3 screw holes on each side of the receiver and mounted the scope there. These bore holes are not present. The biggest down side to it is that its had the barrel counter bored post war. Its in rather great shape other then that. No cracks in the stock. No rust or pitting in the barrel. Clean rifling through out the barrel. I've since gone through it and cleaned all the cosmoline out of the bore and as much as I could get out of the stock itself.

I'm considering keeping it as is, but im also flirting with the idea of just turning it into a modern sporter. I know with some work, good stock, scope, glass bedding, floating the barrel, turned down bolt/bolt handle mod, removal of front and rear sights, cutting the barrel down from 28 3/4 to around 24inches, recrowning the barrel, then rebluing the barrel. It can be turned into a sub 1 MOA rifle. However the cost, the gun itself is 125-150, all the additional work will take an easy month assuming everything comes in on time. Some people tell me to just leave it the way it is (purists), others tell me to do what I want since there are so many readily available. Was curious what others thought. Below are pictures of my Mosin.

http://s229.photobucket.com/user/aka_guardian/story/12083

Edited by Gunner75

I had one of those in the 80's I bought for $65. They are a reliable gun and pretty accurate but would do a number on my shoulder because of the small butt and steal plate. For the cost of the gun I'd just keep it as is. Obviously they aren't getting cheaper and who knows in 20 years you could sell it for $500. I guess I'm a purist, But then again after selling that one I got this M44 for $65.

M44762X54R_zps4e030a0c.jpg

Edited by buildit

I'd shoot it at 100-200 meters first to gauge the barrel quality, ideally with match-grade ammo available (is there any?). Converting a mass-produced battle arm could be a lot of fun, but it's a big hill to match a modern hunting rifle that shoots consistent match-grade ammo. The money and time put into the conversion might may for a big chunk of a nice Rem 700 or equivalent.

The hardest part of the conversion is going to be ammo. The standard spam can stuff is never going to shoot a 1moa grouping regardless of the gun. You will need to find the special sniper grade ammo cans or dedicate to handload for it. I have an M1 Garand that has been breathed on with the best parts money can buy. It still only shoots 4-5 inch groups at 100yards with ball ammo. If I feed it my handloads that have been tailored just for that rifle the group drops down to 3/4inch.

Well I have access to someone whos willing to hand load for me at a cost. I dont have the room to hand load here at my apt. My inlaws might let me out at the barn.

as smccrory mentioned, I really need to shoot it to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of the barrel the way it is and go from there. But I need to find someone who is willing to let me use their range and not make me join to shoot.

Well, I doubt my 235 ft range will give you the distance needed to determine the rifles accuracy. After all with open sights I can drill a 6X6 plate at that distance pretty regularly.

But I need to find someone who is willing to let me use their range and not make me join to shoot.

I'm a member at the Middletown Sportsman Club if you come down south of Dayton. My membership comes with a guest pass and I have an M44 that I haven't got out to the range yet . Weekday afternoons work great if you ever have a free one as there is never many people there.

only weekday afternoons I get are Mondays. Im trying to get into a range up here in Shelby County that has a 250 yrd range for rifles. To get to 600-700 yards like I would love to I would probably have to go down to Thunder Valley.

Modding a mosin is like modding. CB750. You may make it cooler, but you won't make it better than other bikes available for less money.

I would enjoy it as a $130 toy that makes a big boom and knocks you on your ass. But that's just me. Do what will let you enjoy it most.

only weekday afternoons I get are Mondays. Im trying to get into a range up here in Shelby County that has a 250 yrd range for rifles. To get to 600-700 yards like I would love to I would probably have to go down to Thunder Valley.

Place in little ol' Covington Ohio is opening an 800yd range. They've got several distances open now, but the long range is coming soon.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=101270

I was going to mod a turk mauser at one time and decided against it. The cost alone of getting a quality barrel for it and installing it was about the same price as getting a brand new Savage with an acutrigger. Just not worth it in my opinion to mod one. The only way I would ever mod one, is if you could do all the work yourself and had the tools. I think it would be alot of fun, but even buying the tools is really expensive. Its not cost effective unless your going to do more than 1 or make money at it.

Im considering not modding this one at all. Ive managed to find another Mosin that is already modded really horribly done that I can pick up for 100. Ill probably just get it and mod it since its already fucked.

That sounds like a better deal.

I like projects as much (possibly more) than the next guy, it's just somehow easier to rationalize my own money-pits than to watch someone else sink cash into projects that will never sell for what they're putting into them.

But you can never put a value on your own enjoyment and sense of satisfaction. Like I said before, do what you'll enjoy the most. and post pics :D

Im considering not modding this one at all. Ive managed to find another Mosin that is already modded really horribly done that I can pick up for 100. Ill probably just get it and mod it since its already fucked.

What Chris said......mod the turd and keep yours as is. Then you can have both a custom and authentic