Michelin PR 3 Trail - Mileage

JBWalker

• 3 weeks later...

i really didnt get to ride alot last year, but on the road 2s i put about 7k on them and they have life left in them still. ill probably put another 2k on them and then throw a new set on. im a tire snob, once i notice alot of the profile of the tire gone i tend to want to swap out.

35 lbs lighter is my goal too, sadly I'm too lazy and like food too much to make it happen

I normally run 36/38 for solo and 38/40 two up and at 5k miles they look like they've got 5k more in the pr2's. I love em but think ill definitely try the Pr3 next tire change

35 lbs lighter is my goal too, sadly I'm too lazy and like food too much to make it happen

Food... Yum...

I had about 5k on mine last summer but picked up a nail on 270. at the 5k point, it still had tons of life left...

http://m.michelinmotorcycle.com/tires/street/pilot-road-3-trail.html

http://m.michelinmotorcycle.com/tires/street/pilot-road-3.html

I have read mostly good on these and was thinking of giving them a shot. Seems like the fronts are the same but the placement of the different compounds are changed on the rear.Only one size for each end is available for the trail also.

The trail is no different than a regular PR3. The only call it a trail becaust it fits the vstroms and some adventure BMWs, KTMs

looking above at the links from al.Z.heimer on the michelin website, they are indeed different. soft/medium/soft compound for the rear tire is 10/80/10 for trail and 40/20/40 for regular.

As far as tread pattern, ply, and construction they are identical.

Compound AREA no.

But if you ride a long haul your riding the center, generally people are concerned about getting a squared off tire, and wearing out the center first.

So the compound area is somewhat igcignificant in this aspect.

Sport touring and sport bike guys want softer compound higher on the shoulders of the tire for traction, whereas the adventure guys want more hard compound because they ride fire roads and the likes.

Depends. I did 2 Gap trips and a few rides with a set of Contis that were aces in the center by torched on the edges. That's only happened once' date=' so I chalked it up to a lucky riding streak. Those also started to split at the seam. <3k miles and they were history. That was on the FZ6. I put a set on the Multi and they were smoked at 2200 miles. I haven't bought another set.

The PR2s lasted a bit longer, and the edges were fairly good. The center was shot, but I also did 700 miles from DG, most of which was interstate and nothing below 85mph. I was cruising at triple digits for quite a bit behind a guy in a Ford Freestyle.

So, maybe the combined air pressure and highway riding just pushed them harder than normal. I'm going to buy another set of PR2s and watch more diligently.[/quote']

i run 90+ when we are hauling on the slab to places. and we ride 2 up with side bags and a loaded trunk.

and then i also crank it up in the twisty bits.

i have never had a set of PR2s wore out that fast.

the quickest ive been through a set was like 7000 miles i think

im interested as to how your killing them so fast

Love the Angel ST's, but am gonna try the PR2 next. I run no less than 40 psi front and rear at all times, cold pressure is listed as 42 on the C14 believe it or not. I have approx 7k on my Angels now, probably have another 3k safely left.

Hmmm...I run that pressure and would never get that mileage. I run less up front' date=' but those tend to last 1.5x more than the rear. Your bike is the 1k, right?[/quote']yeah DL1. 36 frt. - 38 rear for 2 up. i used to run max pressure per tire side wall. but found that i get better tire mileage if i run mc manufacturer recommended pressure.