Yamaha Super Tenere'

rollnhot

Looks like we have some strong opinions on this subject. I've done my homework,checked out reviews, lurked on forums,spoke with owners of a few different ADV bikes. One of my friends spent two weeks on a BMW/ GS in Spain this summer, didn't like it. My boy CobraT has a KTM and loves it and if I'm not wrong he got rid of his Multi. Know a couple of guys with V Stroms swear they're the stuff, not for me. The S10 till gets the nod. On the other hand I'll probably sell the FZ1 to some lucky person this spring. But that's another deal.

First thing you've said I agree with. The Multi is a good bike and should be considered, but not if you're going to throw it around on jeep trails or fire roads....there are better, cheaper bikes for that.

You're right... The US got the 520 EXC in 2000.

You made my point where you stated "You learn these things when you read and pay attention"... Like I said, you can learn anything and support any argument via the internet. You're right. What you read is always correct and gospel.

You mention a lot of us have friends and fellow riders with experiences. You're right. Some of us do. I can promise you that I have seen a lot more experience in the short time with KTM than most have. But, feel free to quote a google search...

Let me give a little known history. Post 2005 (yes, I said 2005 - 8 years ago...) with the 990, we didn't have such an issue as what was seen on the 950s. The impellar issue was to be checked at 15,000km per the manual which is @ 9,000 miles. Today's standards has that MUCH higher and the wear items are holding up rather well.

Again, you can use the 950 and even early model 990s and show issues. You see almost EVERYONE that has an issue post a thread these days. However, do you see threads of guys that have 30,000 miles with zero issues? Not typically. Thus, real world experience is key and from the sounds of it and from your post, you read a lot. I tend to talk to those that ride a lot and have several years of seat time to note these issues to not be as destructive as you make it sound to be.

Same with the 520, 525, 530, and current 500 (All with the same CC motor and essential platform with small upgrades along the way). Water pump issues on the early four strokes were somewhat a thing to pay attention to. The wear items were somewhat fragile and through the years, guess what? Shit got updated and changed and R&D made the needed changes as they were addressed.

I can promise you this - there isn't a Japanese company that has the track record of SUCCESS that KTM does when it comes to woods racing, enduro or dual sport. None. That means something. If under your idea that the Euro bikes are fragile, have issues and not near as dependable as the Japanese counter parts, why the hell does KTM have such a large % of the market? Also, why is it that KTM is the LARGEST off road company in the world? Including here in the US.

As for the Multi - yes. You can find examples of someone riding a totally inappropriate machine being used in an environment not meant to be where it is used.

17" wheels doesn't make an adventure bike, eh? Weird. Didn't know that...

I will say this - the Multi is exactly what it's name states. Multi use. You best not try and keep up with a multi on your 950/990, GS1200, Yamaha, etc on a twisty road. You best not try and keep up on a fire road, either. You probably will have a tough time on a gravel, rough road as well...

Id agree that if I was on an Adventure and a Multi out in the Las Vegas Desert, I'd cut a faster time and easier path with the Adventure. Sure. But, the other examples, I would choose a Multi.

The Adventure is a VERY well balanced machine. Very nimble, but VERY heavy. That weight is a bit of a downer when running aggressive off road. Aggressive off road isn't your fire road or gravel road... I am talking switchbacks, single track at times and loose terrain where you are jumping, sliding and transitioning weight back and forth. Again, a better choice over the multi in this condition, but again - most never get to that.

It's like a 4x4 off road SUV. How many people really use it outside of snowy conditions? Not many. A majority of adventure riders see touring and the occasional fire road or gravel road and not much more. After all, the Dakar where KTM has won it since they have competed... They are using a 450, light weight platform. Not a cumbersome 990...

I have a Multistrada. The air cooled 1100 model. It is a brilliant, fun, practical road bike and handles crappy pavement with ease, but I'd hesitate to take it off road with the 17" front wheel.

Things have really changed in the last 5 years with the bike. Fire roads and gravel roads are very well suited for the Multistrada.

The thing that kills me is that there are guys that think in the last 8-10 years, things haven't really changed. They have. Hell, things change in two years! Look at the newer bikes and the suspension changes that have come about. If we stick to history and think in the past, we might as well have stuck with wood wheels and horse drawn wagons for transportation...

The Multi has been rather well updated. The Pikes Peak stuff that it participates in has shown how capable a 17" wheel bike is on fire and gravel roads...

A couple months ago CW did a comparo on Multi, Stelvio, Triumph Ex and S Ten. I shows the Multi as a great all arounder, the best on the pavement, second only to the S10 off road. But again someone elses opinion, all bikes mentioned above and throughout this thread are all the shit any of them are great bikes. It all comes down to which one appeals to the individual. The Triumph Ex looks bad ass, great motor but CW editors called it a pig off road so who knows, one of us could ride it and fall in love.

im not an Adventure Rider, but the appeal of the multistrada to me was a Superbike in sheeps clothes. It has a great upright riding position, it is a extremely capable Touring bike, with more than adequete storage when fitted with panniers and top case. Comfortable for a passenger, and rides very well even with a passenger and luggage loaded up.

has powerlet outlets already on the bike, if your running heated gear its perfect for that. has accessory plugs for GPS, or other stuff.

adjustable riding modes to suit your riding wants..

when im riding solo and want to really crank on it, switch it into sport mode, ditch the luggage, and its like riding a supersport but more comfortable. I havent had any issues keeping up with any of the supersport guys, or even leaving them in the rearview in the twisty bits.

i have taken it in a mild offroad situation, dirt road through the mountains in colorado. it handled fine and with it set in enduro mode it switched the ecu into 100 hp and let the rear spin a bit more.

but for a true offroader, its limited by its 17" wheels. the suspension is more than capable, but the wheels and little engine protection are a drawback for serious ADV guys.

but for me, its perfect, i barley go off pavement. im tour with the bike, and alot of weekend twisty riding. its perfect for me.

my only gripe on the bike is less than adequate wind protection, and wind noise.

and it eats rear tires =-)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I missed this thread.

I have a 2012 Tenere, bought it new a few months ago. Currently have about 4,000 mi on it.

I came off some other ADV cred bikes, like a KLR and a V-Strom. I also have a WR250R.

Overall I am really kind of ambivalent about the bike. It's really heavy, and has kind of notchy acceleration in 1-2 gear, gets bad gas mileage, has a good amount of wind noise and buffeting from the windscreen, stalls in 1 gear quite often, has hard starting quite often. But, it is powerful, comfortable, looks bad ass, has a shaft drive (so 0 chain maintenance ever again), has really good ABS, and has top notch fit and finish.

There have been very few reports of any real issues with the bike. The two big ones that come to mind are spokes loosening (I've never had it happen), and the headlight harness overheating (also never had it happen). Supposedly the new bikes have a slightly modified connector at the headlight bulb which keeps the wiring from overheating. The other issues I mentioned, except for the weight and gas mileage, are easily remedied - for example, in the case of notchy acceleration and stalling, a cheap jumper around the clutch switch totally transforms the bike.

Would I buy it again?

I got a good deal on it ($11,399) but that's still a shitload of money; and you can buy a damn nice Strom for $8k, or a Tiger for $10k. Factor in a used unit and you could be spending less than half of that for the same style of bike.

At the time I bought it I thought it was really what I wanted. This is the most expensive bike I have ever owned, and I knew I'd have to keep it long term to justify spending the money, so I bought a 5 year warranty with it. I'm pretty much locked in to the bike now, so I don't have any plans to get rid of it, but if I was to answer the question totally honestly, I think I might rather have a Tiger 800.

I will say this, though. Every ride I take on it, I enjoy it a bit more. I've also been told that the break in period is kind of lengthy, and around 5,000 miles the bike really settles in and seems to run better and more smoothly. If that happens, it will up the fun quotient quite a bit.

Edited to add: I ride pavement and gravel. I refuse to do "off road" with this bike - it's too big, and too expensive, and I want to try and keep it nice as long as I can given the cost. This is not a bang around do it all bike like a DR or KLR, it's essentially Yamaha's take on the R1200GS. It's a street bike that can handle rough roads. There are those who chose to ride theirs off road, those guys are better than me, braver than me, or stupider than me.

Mine:

IMG9526821.jpg

Edited by MeefZah

Dirtdad on Stromtroopers has one and to my knowledge, has not mentioned any of the niggles you have complained about. Says it is the best bike he has ever owned, and he has owned several. I am very interested in one for my next steed, I love the whole sport touring thing that the C14 just eats alive, but realize I enjoy and prefer the ADV style bikes. So how you been Mark?

Dirtdad on Stromtroopers has one and to my knowledge, has not mentioned any of the niggles you have complained about. Says it is the best bike he has ever owned, and he has owned several. I am very interested in one for my next steed, I love the whole sport touring thing that the C14 just eats alive, but realize I enjoy and prefer the ADV style bikes. So how you been Mark?

I've been good. No complaints. How's my WRR?

I realize that almost every other owner of the Tenere is in love with the bike, I am the anomaly. I certainly don't hate it, but I guess maybe the best way to explain it is to say I had hoped a $14,500 bike (retail) would be better.

At any rate, I plan on keeping the bike, and I hope it will grow on me. It'll be okay...

I've been good. No complaints. How's my WRR?

I realize that almost every other owner of the Tenere is in love with the bike, I am the anomaly. I certainly don't hate it, but I guess maybe the best way to explain it is to say I had hoped a $14,500 bike (retail) would be better.

At any rate, I plan on keeping the bike, and I hope it will grow on me. It'll be okay...

I haven't ridden in over 2 months due to my shoulder surgery, but sure am enjoying the hell out of it when I could ride and did ride. We shall see how long you actually keep the Tenere, I am guessing it won't be more than another year.;) Recently went back to stock front sprocket and put on some Shinko 244's, now it is better suited for me. How I fucked my shoulder up was riding the WR in Wayne with Craig, no more single track for me for a good while. :rolleyes: