And so it begins....

RHill

Second off-season box has arrived...first one had some spares, this one is a little more fun. Penske shock and a couple springs. Think the fork springs should be arriving tomorrow. Wish I wasn't sick or it would already be on the bike.

I believe it is a 8100 compression adjuster(6 settings and offcenter knob). I'm leaning toward it being an 8900 shock, but Penske's manuals are confusing and not being very helpful. It has 36 clicks of rebound adjustment if that matters.

IMG_20121112_180931.jpg

IMG_20121112_180946.jpg

BTW if anyone has a need for the 625 spring LMK, pretty sure the previous owner bought it by mistake, because it is pristine.

Thanks!

Still beating myself up about not bidding on a Ohlins shock that went for $350 on ebay, but I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with.

Trying to do some upgrades on a minimal budget. I'm sure I'll be picking up some more goodies and doing some bodywork to the bike throughout winter, so I may just make this an ongoing thread.

Thanks!

Still beating myself up about not bidding on a Ohlins shock that went for $350 on ebay, but I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with.

Trying to do some upgrades on a minimal budget. I'm sure I'll be picking up some more goodies and doing some bodywork to the bike throughout winter, so I may just make this an ongoing thread.

Yeah I would of took a shot at the Ohlins shock if it went for $350 that's a good deal. I'd like to see the progress you make this winter!

For right now, I'm sticking with stock internals besides spring change and fluid. May change my mind if I come across the right deal.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-Suzuki-GSXR600-750-forks-Ohlins-/280955633642?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416a42bfea&vxp=mtr

For right now, I'm sticking with stock internals besides spring change and fluid. May change my mind if I come across the right deal.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-Suzuki-GSXR600-750-forks-Ohlins-/280955633642?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416a42bfea&vxp=mtr

I had K5 1000 Forks on my old K5 750.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of shopping, Black Friday morning was spent switching springs and new oil in the forks. Got everything done with stuff I had handy in the garage:

Compressed the spring with a ratchet strap and two S hooks that happened to be the right size. I planned on making a fork spring compressor, but this was too damn easy.

Made a fork oil level syringe by taking a piece of aluminum and drilling a hole through it, then drill and tapping a hole perpendicular to act as a pinch screw. Shove some copper tubing through at 102mm and lightly tighten the screw. Add tygon tubing and a syringe and you can set oil level with the best of em.

Finally to hold the fork I thought about a few methods, but settled on using the clip ons. Placed one of the brackets vertical in in a vice with a couple pieces of wood to act as soft jaws, installed the clip on tube, then installed the second bracket onto the tube horizontally. Worked like a charm. You could use this method without having a vice. Work on one fork at time with the other still on the bike; attaching both forks together with a clip on tube & brackets.

If you cant tell, I hate buying single purpose tools. Rather use the tools and materials at hand to make something that works just as well.

Penskes are easy to replace the spring. Just take all preload out and spin compression ring up and off threads. Spring will rise enough to take the base off and remove the spring. No need to use straps or anything.

What you have is what they refer to as a double clicker. Great shock.

My suggestion would be to try and get even a 25mm cartridge kit. Reuben can get some older ohlins kits or build you one for only a few hundred bucks.

Running stock front and aftermarket rear is somewhat like trying to light a match in the wind. It will be better for you on the bike, but to get the forks done correctly will make a world of difference.

The oil in a Penske is seperate from the nitrogen and oil in the shock doesn't get as contaminated as an ohlins does. But, I would suggest unless it was already refreshed, to send it out to Reuben to get the oil refreshed. It makes a big difference.

Your bike is sensitive to chassis geometry. You'll need to get the eye to eye correct and the fork height correct. Again, consult with Reuben.

Awesome upgrade. You'll notice a huge difference.

Not to be argumentative, but if you are careful, there is no chance of damaging the rod with the ratchet straps and hooks. The spacer should never even contact the rod. One hand holding the spacer centered, second one clicking down ratchet straps side to side; once the bottom of the nut is exposed; with a plate, the process of removing the cap will be the exact same. Or, if you have an extra set of hands, one person holds the spacer centered while the other breaks the cap loose, screws it off, pulls out the rod, and releases the straps. If you are not careful and leave the cap torque over, there is a good chance you could damage something, but if you are not careful using the spring compressing tool, you can do the exact same thing. I may make the compression tool if I am disassembling forks regularly, because it does cut down a little bit of the time involved.

I'll be refreshing the fluid/pressure in the rear before the season starts, just so I know my starting point and any adjustments I make are not based on some unknown shock oil.

I've been searching around a bit trying to find a good starting point for fork height and shock length, but all the info I'm finding is for 06+ 600's.

stainless lines for the front came in, but I seem to have lost the hose I always use when bleeding....have to pick one up before a "warm" day when I can throw some of this stuff on.

Really regret not knocking out the bodywork before it got cold, may have to do some fiberglass work in the house, then take it to PA to spray in the heated garage. Haven't decided if it worth the effort with how cracked up it is.

Forks, clip ons and rear shock installed yesterday. Putting stuff on temporarily to get an idea of sag #'s and make sure the springs and spacers are good.

Oh and picked these up on the way back from PA: :D

IMG_20121203_194656.jpg

IMG_20121203_195904.jpg

Edited by RHill

So after searching for a baseline setup for suspension height, the best I can find is someone recommending 335 eye to eye on the rear shock and 16mm of forks above the triple for a 04/05 750 on Michelin rubber. I had been running the forks flush and stock rear shock length, so those settings will put the bike more on it's nose....whether that is good or bad I'm not sure.

Also looking around for generators, probably get one of the 2kw inverter models....would love to find a used honda, but I'm not spending $1k on a new one. I already have an old Montgomery Ward 5kw one, but I doubt people would want to pit within a quarter mile of it. There are so many models out there and a huge spread in price, it makes selecting one a pain.

Edited by RHill

That's for newer generation GSXRs. The chassis was completely changed and the numbers will not work with your chassis.

PLEASE do not use gixxer.com for resources for racing/track days. Please...

Did you call and ask Reuben if he had any notes on the 04/05s?

Haven't asked yet, I'd feel like a dick calling up Reuben and asking for numbers without ever using his services. I'm debating about sending the rear shock off to him for a refresh, but I really like doing all my own work and accumulating all the required tools. Hell I already have a HPA tank that I can have charged with nitrogen and a regulator and everything else required to do the recharge.

I think the table is listing up stock shock and spring data, but having a lighter spring on a 750 vs a 600 in the same model year(04/05) doesn't make sense to me. I'll measure my stock shocks and see how they compare to that table.

• 3 weeks later...