Need advice on getting bike #2.

JackFlash

If you think a Gen2 FZ1 might be to much, how about a VERY CLEAN Gen1.

This is as clean as you'll find. Ridden by a lil' old lady on Sundays in Florida

. They have been known to go well over 200k miles.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132987

Read the whole thread.  Poor girl with her bad thumb.

Looks like the bike has a lot of goodies attached to it.

I wasn't thinking about a bike that old, or with that many

miles.  I have to get more fimiliar with prices of used

bikes.  That's my weakness right now.  $6000 tops is

what I can afford, and that is depending on getting

hopefully $3000 out of my GS 500F.

$6000 tops is

what I can afford, and that is depending on getting

Is it listed somewhere?  I wouldn't pay that much for a gs500 but I'd certainly look at the ad and admire it :)

• Upvote 1

Is it listed somewhere?  I wouldn't pay that much for a gs500 but I'd certainly look at the ad and admire it :)

It's not actually for sale yet,

unless someone wants it as is. 

But, I would like to have bike #2

lined up for purchase first.

Finding #2 is the obstacle. 

That's why I was fishing around

on CL when I saw that FZ1.

Mine is an '08 with about 7700

miles, new Avon tires, a fresh

oil change, and a new K&N air

filter.  It also had IP's $100 check

up and cable lube.

that is depending on getting

No offense, but I think you're delusional if you think anyone is going to pay $3,000 for a GS500.  If you showed me a brand new 0-mile example of a GS500 with the fairings in showroom condition, and it was painted my favorite color, I would still value it under $2500...

In a market with tiered licensing, something like that will hold its value better, and maybe I'm jaded by how much more bike I've purchased for less than $3,000 in the past, but I think $2k is more realistic, if the fairings are in great shape.

No offense, but I think you're delusional if you think anyone is going to pay $3,000 for a GS500.  If you showed me a brand new 0-mile example of a GS500 with the fairings in showroom condition, and it was painted my favorite color, I would still value it under $2500...

In a market with tiered licensing, something like that will hold its value better, and maybe I'm jaded by how much more bike I've purchased for less than $3,000 in the past, but I think $2k is more realistic, if the fairings are in great shape.

I suppose I'll have to do some online research to see what's being asked for

ones similar to mine.

I pulled up CL and found a few in the $3500-$4000 range, so there may be a demand for fully-faired low-powered bikes that I'm not aware of.

I just look at it from a perspective of what else I could buy with $3k, and I see a lot of bikes I would purchase before a GS500.  But that's me.  I doubt I'm your target market.

I pulled up CL and found a few in the $3500-$4000 range, so there may be a demand for fully-faired low-powered bikes that I'm not aware of.

I just look at it from a perspective of what else I could buy with $3k, and I see a lot of bikes I would purchase before a GS500.  But that's me.  I doubt I'm your target market.

They might be posted for that, but they won't sell.  Sort of like http://www.incomeclips.com/

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have an opinion on a 2002 Katana 600 with only 3000 miles on it?

The dealer is likely going to give him $1300 on trade. I'd offer $1500. Looks like a good. Bike.

Does anyone have an opinion on a 2002 Katana 600 with only 3000 miles on it?

Yeah they are awesome bikes and run damn near forever. Not fuel injected mind you, so not sure if that is a killer for you or not. Going backward in technology Jack, much better choices out there for you IMHO......but you are getting warmer. ;)

Edited by Pokey

God damnit jack haven't you learned bigger displacement doesn't always mean better? You're better than that my man!

I like the looks of the Katana.  It has lines that smoothly form

into the seductive figure of something that asks to be ridden

well and offers to return the pleasure to an exponential degree.

Wait, we are talking motorcycles, right?

Plus, it has only 3066 miles on it.  That's what caught my attention.

Tell me more...

I personally find Katana's to be ugly.  I think they look puffy, and the banana seat just caps it all off.  Then again, there IS a gorgeous shade of blue on some Katana's that I love.

All in all, they sell for less, which works in your favor.  Be sure to point out that they're nowhere near as performance-oriented as a GSXR when you're haggling for price.  All said and done, if the "drawbacks" of a bike aren't really drawbacks for YOU, you can get a great bike for cheap.

I like the looks of the Katana.  It has lines that smoothly form

into the seductive figure of something that asks to be ridden

well and offers to return the pleasure to an exponential degree.

Wait, we are talking motorcycles, right?

Plus, it has only 3066 miles on it.  That's what caught my attention.

Tell me more...

There is a certain immaculate SV650 for sale on the forum that has ABS and is fuel injected, plus it is gorgeous and makes me want to buy it badly. I can tell you beyond any doubt that "it" is the bike that would be perfect for you and serve you well for a very long time. Jump on this deal man I am tellin ya, just not many better bikes out there for the money.......period.

I don't like the look of Katanas either, but I am enjoying riding mine a lot.

I chopped up the tail a little and am running a circular headlight without gauges. I think it looks pretty decent for now. Still a work in progress.

It's an old design for sure, but I would still consider it an upgrade from a GS500. Handling won't be quite as nimble, but it's faster in every other respect. Cartridge emulators and springs (same things the GS needs) would make it pretty good.