Need advice on getting bike #2.

JackFlash

A Concours is the way to go. I bought my 2006 ZG1000 two years ago and love it. You won't be pulling wheelies off the line but it has more than enough power to get you where you want to be in a hurry. You can crack the throttle at 65 and be up to 90 in no time and it'll feel like you're going 50 - nice an smooth. I'm sure other bikes will do this too but I've never ridden another bike.

It's comfortable to ride. You're in more of an upright position than a rocket and not laid back like a cruiser. They come stock with detachable saddlebags and have a carrier rack hidden under the rear cowl where you can attach a rear trunk. There are also two locking glove boxes in the fairing.

It's a liquid cooled, four cylinder four banger so it sounds like a VW bus but it has everything you need. A few good things about this bike is that it's a low end, low cost ride and Kawasaki didn't change it much from the 80's til they discontinued the model in the mid 2000's with the exception of the cosmetics. What this means is a starter from an 1988 will work on a 2004, etc. Plenty of parts available on eBay.

You can pick these up on eBay (where I got mine) or Craigslist for a few thousand bucks. And these things are built and run like a tank. I've got 60K miles on mine and it runs like brand new. They're somewhat had to find since they disappear pretty quickly after they're posted. It's a great bike.

One very big downside to them though. You can drop them very easily when turning into a parking space. It's something about the turning radius/throttle/weight distribution - I don't know what, but almost every Connie owner I know has dropped theirs atleast once.

On the forum COG (Councours Owners Group) they have what they call a CDA - Connie Droppers Award. WHEN (not if) you drop yours you suck it up and submit your name so everyone can either feel your pain or laugh at you. It's all in good fun.

Don't let that scare you away though. I've had mine two years now and only droppped it once.

Edited by Jcarlson

A Concours is the way to go. I bought my 2006 ZG1000 two years ago and love it. You won't be pulling wheelies off the line but it has more than enough power to get you where you want to be in a hurry. You can crack the throttle at 65 and be up to 90 in no time and it'll feel like you're going 50 - nice an smooth. I'm sure other bikes will do this too but I've never ridden another bike.

It's comfortable to ride. You're in more of an upright position than a rocket and not laid back like a cruiser. They come stock with detachable saddlebags and have a carrier rack hidden under the rear cowl where you can attach a rear trunk. There are also two locking glove boxes in the fairing.

It's a liquid cooled, four cylinder four banger so it sounds like a VW bus but it has everything you need. A few good things about this bike is that it's a low end, low cost ride and Kawasaki didn't change it much from the 80's til they discontinued the model in the mid 2000's with the exception of the cosmetics. What this means is a starter from an 1988 will work on a 2004, etc. Plenty of parts available on eBay.

You can pick these up on eBay (where I got mine) or Craigslist for a few thousand bucks. And these things are built and run like a tank. I've got 60K miles on mine and it runs like brand new. They're somewhat had to find since they disappear pretty quickly after they're posted. It's a great bike.

One very big downside to them though. You can drop them very easily when turning into a parking space. It's something about the turning radius/throttle/weight distribution - I don't know what, but almost every Connie owner I know has dropped theirs atleast once.

On the forum COG (Councours Owners Group) they have what they call a CDA - Connie Droppers Award. WHEN (not if) you drop yours you suck it up and submit your name so everyone can either feel your pain or laugh at you. It's all in good fun.

Don't let that scare you away though. I've had mine two years now and only droppped it once.

Come ride my C14..........;)

C14, FJR, ST1300, all big heavy- powerful machines that I would not recommend for a somewhat new rider. Most all liter bikes FZ1, Z1000, and the Super Sports way too fast. SV 650 or a 650 Ninja or the 650N, FZ600R good all around bikes. Don't make crazy power but still hustles on a twisty road, and long distance comfort. All good light STs.

I'm not ready to buy one today. I'm just beginning my research on what to move up to.

That is pretty much the plan. I won't be ready to upgrade until the end of next summer.

I bought a set of bags to carry all the things you shed, from beginning your riding in the chill of the morning and riding into 70 or 80 degree temperatures.

Track days? I'm really wanting to check into that.

Your doing the right thing by planning another season on your 500 and then doing a 600 - 650 bike step up.

Getting more experience counts a lot for a novice rider - favorite quote on that...

Luck & Experience

"You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck."

When a newbie rider buys more bike than they can handle, they use the luck up much faster than if they learn on a ride thats a better fit.

Edited by mello dude

My first bike was a Honda cbr 450f 1976. Rode that for a couple months and bought a 2000 suzuki intruder 1400cc. Rode that for a year and traded it for a 2007 cbr 1000rr.

I'd buy the bike you really want and respect that right hand control.

You're doing the right thing by planning another season on your 500 and then doing a 600 - 650 bike step up.

Getting more experience counts a lot for a novice rider - favorite quote on that...

Luck & Experience

"You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck."

When a newbie rider buys more bike than they can handle, they use the luck up much faster than if they learn on a ride that's a better fit.

This is where my head is right now. Keep me reminded of this. Cooter's suggestion to get the bike I want and to resist the temptation of twisting the righthand grip past the point of good sense is like putting an exotic beauty in front of me and asking me not to look.

How do KLR's do in the highway?

I seem to recall a buddy of mine being mad at his brother for running his KLR at 85 on the highway for an extended time period. The implication was that 85 for that long was abusing the big single.

My buddy wade took his killer to work every day from perry to ashtabula. He ended up hitting a deer with it, and it actually made the thing handle better (he thinks the rake may have been "adjusted" back by the deer and it got rid of a small high speed wobble)

no, no problems with freeway flying on a KLR, they are fine.

What's the fastest you've taken your current bike to? Was it to the limiter?

There's a limiter?

According to the speedo, I've had it up to around 85. I backed off because I was approaching traffic. I'm afraid to press it beyond that. That's fast for me. It was on the freeway on the way to work one chilly morning. I was hoping air friction would warm me up and overcome the wind chill. It didn't work.

How do KLR's do in the highway?

I seem to recall a buddy of mine being mad at his brother for running his KLR at 85 on the highway for an extended time period. The implication was that 85 for that long was abusing the big single.

Yea they will do highway but 85 is about maxing it out and they do have a reputation for burning oil, especially with lots of highway.

Craig

There's a limiter?

According to the speedo, I've had it up to around 85. I backed off because I was approaching traffic. I'm afraid to press it beyond that. That's fast for me. It was on the freeway on the way to work one chilly morning. I was hoping air friction would warm me up and overcome the wind chill. It didn't work.

:nono:

I think you may have your physics a little confused. :D

I doubt the GS500 has a limiter. It will be power limited in top gear. Im guessing somewhere around 100 or under, depends on the wind and rider position. Remember this is a carburated air cooled bike.

Craig

This is where my head is right now. Keep me reminded of this. Cooter's suggestion to get the bike I want and to resist the temptation of twisting the righthand grip past the point of good sense is like putting an exotic beauty in front of me and asking me not to look.

Well that KLR will have even less power and speed than your current mount :D

Even the 650 twins are going to have plenty of power and speed to get you into trouble. My Vstrom 650 will go well past 100 and out accelerate most sportscars to 60. And thats much slower than most bikes. So if you want a little bigger and more modern you are going to have to keep your right hand under some kind of control if you hope to avoid problems with the law or worse.

Craig

:nono:

I think you may have your physics a little confused. :D

Craig

:lol: Yeah, I know. It was more wishful thinking than an expectation that speed of airflow would actually warm me. The colder it is in the morning on your way to work on your motorcycle, the more you wish that air friction would warm you.

However, there is a basic thermodynamic relationship between pressure and temperature from compression of the air ahead of a hypersonic vehicle. A hot shock wave is created in front of the vehicle and a convective heat transfer occurs between the shock wave and the vehicle through superheated plasma.

What do you mean 85 mph is not hypersonic??? :lol:

There's a limiter?

Then I doubt you'd have trouble controlling your throttle on a bigger bike.

If no one's mentioned it, a 919 with side luggage wouldn't be a bad option either, but 919's can be difficult to come across. Adding hard cases can get somewhat expensive too (but that goes for any bike not readily configured for them).

While I educate myself about what bikes I should consider for upgrading to, ideas come to mind that I need advice on. Here are my current wonderings.

1. Decide which motors are going to do what I want them to do in the ways that I want them done.
  2. Find bikes with these motors that fit the style of riding that I'm going to want to do.
  3. Decide which bike with a desirable motor has the creature comforts and accessories that I desire.

Is this a logical way of narrowing down my choices or is there a better approach you would like to share with me?

While I educate myself about what bikes I should consider for upgrading to, ideas come to mind that I need advice on. Here are my current wonderings.

1. Decide which motors are going to do what I want them to do in the ways that I want them done.
  2. Find bikes with these motors that fit the style of riding that I'm going to want to do.
  3. Decide which bike with a desirable motor has the creature comforts and accessories that I desire.

Is this a logical way of narrowing down my choices or is there a better approach you would like to share with me?

Thinking too much. ;)

You got a lot commiserating going on - how 'bout break it down into - what kinda rider are you? Sport? Sporty? Sport/tour, Street only, or some track? Is it going to be one bike? Or some day get another?

An idea - most bikes that I have bought, I have had an inkling that I would like it and finagled a test ride. Usually if I was right, the test ride would have me walking away thinking - I must find and buy one of these now!

Good luck :cool:

The type of bike you get determines the type of ride. Seat and suspension along with body position determine comfort. Engine size, type and gearing determine the acceleration and top speed based on power to weight ratio. You can have a 1200 sportster that is only slightly more comfortable than a vtwin sport bike but much slower.

1. Decide what type of riding you want to do.

2. Decide how much you want to pay for bike + insurance.

3. Pick an engine performance you are comfortable with within the type of bike and budget you decided on.

• Upvote 1

The type of bike you get determines the type of ride. Seat and suspension along with body position determine comfort. Engine size, type and gearing determine the acceleration and top speed based on power to weight ratio. You can have a 1200 sportster that is only slightly more comfortable than a vtwin sport bike but much slower.

1. Decide what type of riding you want to do.

2. Decide how much you want to pay for bike + insurance.

3. Pick an engine performance you are comfortable with within the type of bike and budget you decided on.

This sounds like awesome advice!!!!