iPhone holder for sportbikes

idodishez

There's plenty of holders out there for motorcycles, but most of them use a handlebar style mount. I don't have any handlebar space, as I assume most of us on here dont either. I've seen the ram mounts, but if I understand those correctly they use the center tube of the triple tree. Won't work on either my zx10 or zx6, as both have OEM steering dampners that cover the hole.

I picked up a Soundgate M2 mount at the recommendation of someone on here, but I can't even find a flat spot to mount that.

Saw Hoblicks thread on his mounts, but those appear to require handlebar space as well.

Anyone using a mount for a sportbike that you could suggest? Or ways you fabricated something to work?

I also have an Otterbox to complicate things. (maybe)

Doorfront Parking like a BOSS

NoBama 2012

Try a RAM u-bolt mount and mount the ball piece on the tank bolts. Does your tank have two bolts at the front? If so, you just browse the catalog for the right size bolt size but you may need to dremel it a bit to fit.

Try a RAM u-bolt mount and mount the ball piece on the tank bolts. Does your tank have two bolts at the front? If so, you just browse the catalog for the right size bolt size but you may need to dremel it a bit to fit.

Didnt think of the tank bolts. Meaning use only one of the two sides of the u-bolt holes?

Didnt think of the tank bolts. Meaning use only one of the two sides of the u-bolt holes?

If you have two bolts then just get rid of the curved, threaded bolt and use the fitting with the holes and the ball mounted to it and bolt that, with some longer bolts you can get at the hardware, to the tank.

If you have only one tank mount bolt, you could follow some other options for your bike. I would try some forums specific to your model - i went to VFRD to find my solution.

FYI: The RAM setup attaches to the existing bolts for the Brake lever so you don't need any extra space. Works great on my ZX6R and easy to remove when it's not needed. Also, I don't need to use it in the rain, so I don't have a waterproof case. I just keep a zip-loc bag in my pocket (one for it and one for my phone). If it looks like rain, I stop and put the GPS in my pocket.

gps4.jpg

gps2.jpg

gps3.jpg

FYI: The RAM setup attaches to the existing bolts for the Brake lever so you don't need any extra space. Works great on my ZX6R and easy to remove when it's not needed. Also, I don't need to use it in the rain, so I don't have a waterproof case. I just keep a zip-loc bag in my pocket (one for it and one for my phone). If it looks like rain, I stop and put the GPS in my pocket.

gps4.jpg

gps2.jpg

gps3.jpg

Did u have to fabricate anything to get it to fit? Or were u able to just use the parts that cAme w the kit? Remember the kit #? Mine is also a zx6, so this is very helpful. Thanks!

Do u have your phone setup too? Or just the GPS?

NoBama 2012

Nothing extra was needed. Straight bolt on and it even came with the longer bolts for the new bracket. I don't know the model # but I think it was called the "clutch lever kit" or something like that. I can try to dig it up.

I don't have the iPhone cradle but I am planning on ordering it next week because I tend to use google maps more than my gps these days. Plus, I can use the same cradle in my truck.

If you head south and want to see how I have it set up, let me know. I can try and catch up.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051048057045055085/Default.aspx

This one?

What do you like better about Google maps, over the GPS?

I work in Anderson everyday. That South enough? Where are you?

NoBama 2012

Bullet points.....

Expensive

Could have bought another GPS for what I paid for the mount.

How expensive? My whole setup (including the correct GPS mount was less than $40. That was about 3 years ago but still... should not have gone up that much.

And yes, it should work on a gsxr, you just have to find the right part number on RAM's web site. Just go through the drop down menu process.

a693601e-22a8-d954.jpg

I just thought it was kinda funny when I went to ebay to research my GPS model # for mounts and found the GPS itself for the same as what I paid for the Ram order. A lot of it was the iPhone/GPS "cradle". Was going to get one for both, but decided to stick w the Velcro I've been using on the steering dampener for the GPS.

Thanks again!

NoBama 2012

Looks like the universal cradle was the difference. How sure are you about that X-Grip thing? I have no experience with it but the thought of it holing my phone on the bike makes me nervous.

TheBrown57: That looks like the kit I have. Just a different gadget attachment.

Not sure. And not keen on the looks or bulkiness. But I have an otter box on my iPhone that stays on permanently, and they don't make an otter box specific cradle.

NoBama 2012

Ah yes, the otterbox changes the logistics a bit. I just plan to clip my phone into the iphone specific mount. My hope is that it is cut away on the back so I can catch some video also (if not, I have a dremmel). I'm tired of bolting a camera to the tank or the side of the bike.