Photos of the bike loaded to go

buildit

I've been looking at the VStrom. I think that's going to be my next bike. Everyone I've talked to who owns one says it's the best bike they've ever owned. I'm not talking about guys who've had one or two bikes. These guys are 20+ yr riding veterans who've owned everything from BMWs to Triumphs to Ducatis. That's a big statement for the VStrom.

As a Strom owner I can say for what you pay, it's a great bike. I say this because there are bikes that go faster, bikes that carry more, bikes that are better looking but they all cost much more than the Strom. Kind of like the KLR650, it's not great off road or great on road but it will do both better than any other bike for the price. :)

Yeah, the thing about a Strom is it's entire appeal is the fact that it does nothing well....but it does everything. For what it costs, it's really amazing how versatile it is. It's not super fast but will hang with sport bikes, it's not a GoldWing but it's plush enough to take you on some epic long rides, it's not a dirtbike but will handle normal trails just fine. You have to try hard to find a ride it won't take you on, and reliably and affordably. It really doesn't have an equal in the bike world with perhaps the Versys being the closest as far as versatility/cost.

I love mine, wouldn't own anything else in its place.

Before the redesign the concourse 1000cc had a considerable following of ADV touring riders. I think just like with the redesign of the KLR more hard core riders found the off road side to be greatly deminished. I would have to say that in performance the only bikes I liken to the Strom DL1000 are the BMW GS1200 and KTM 990 ADV. The post 08' KLR650 is so similar to the DL650 it's scary. If the KLR was given a twin engine with no price change it would be the better bike for the price. IMHO

You have to try hard to find a ride it won't take you on, and reliably and affordably.

Agreed. I bought my 05 DL650 two years ago with 3,000 miles for $4,200. I was coming off a long list of sportbikes and sport-tourers but wanted to start trying some of the dirt roads I had been seeing in my travels. What really sold me on the V-Strom was the pics online of how much it could carry. These things have 3rd row seating.

Although it was never my intention, my 650 has become the beloved beater of my garage. I take care of it mechanically but beat the crap out of it otherwise. I ride it far more than my other bikes and I take it places it was never intended to go. I started with a Givi setup until this happened.

IMG_2888%20[800x600].JPG

I hit a patch of sand and lowsided at 55 mph. Just a banged up knee for me. The 650 went tumbling end over end on the rocks but the cases and mounts were intact and I rode it 2,000 miles home from Cali.

For 2009 trip to Alaska, I talked myself into replacing my scratched up Givi side cases with the Caribou Case 36L system. I wanted the extra capacity and Caribou touts itself as the "world's toughest M/C luggage" The cases, which are not made by Caribou, are tough, but the racks are total garbage. I had a 20mph lowside in deep gravel and the racks bent like tin foil. I plan on mounting my cases to Givi racks next and will probably get another set of 21's for local grocery runs and weekend trips.

I hope to meet/ride with some of you,

Brian

Edited by Not Dark Yet

Agreed. I bought my 05 DL650 two years ago with 3,000 miles for $4,200. I was coming off a long list of sportbikes and sport-tourers but wanted to start trying some of the dirt roads I had been seeing in my travels. What really sold me on the V-Strom was the pics online of how much it could carry. These things have 3rd row seating.

Although it was never my intention, my 650 has become the beloved beater of my garage. I take care of it mechanically but beat the crap out of it otherwise. I ride it far more than my other bikes and I take it places it was never intended to go. I started with a Givi setup until this happened.

IMG_2888%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

I hit a patch of sand and lowsided at 55 mph. Just a banged up knee for me. The 650 went tumbling end over end on the rocks but the cases and mounts were intact and I rode it 2,000 miles home from Cali.

For 2009 trip to Alaska, I talked myself into replacing my scratched up Givi side cases with the Caribou Case 36L system. I wanted the extra capacity and Caribou touts itself as the "world's toughest M/C luggage" The cases, which are not made by Caribou, are tough, but the racks are total garbage. I had a 20mph lowside in deep gravel and the racks bent like tin foil. I plan on mounting my cases to Givi racks next and will probably get another set of 21's for local grocery runs and weekend trips.

Brian

How does the 650 do on the highway?

It will do it, but the engine will be "busy" and gas mileage will suck.

If I'm going to be touring at those speeds, I take the FJR:)

I've been looking at the DL1000, and probably picking one up here shortly. Just wondered if it was worth getting the 1000 over the 650.

I've been looking at the DL1000, and probably picking one up here shortly. Just wondered if it was worth getting the 1000 over the 650.

If you like speed (with a ZX10, I'm guessing you do), and want 80+ mph for long periods of time, I would get the 1000. I'm sure the two 1000 owners in this thread will say the same.

.:eek: Did the crane lower you onto the seat?

no crane , i squeezed in ALL by myself.

now getting of that was interesting.

:lol:

I hope you had a nice time in.... Where'd you go?? :D

pittsburgh- urichsville oh- north bend state park wva-

all the way across wva on rt 50 to mt. storm wva - pgh

Was this a tractor pull event? :)

oh and i DID win the tractor pull , ya know the torque

these big v-twins have......:trophy:

Use a periscope to see over that tank bag? :)

no , i'm six three

I used to have a TLS. At one point, I owned 3 (ebay horror story for another time). I loved that motor, hated the rear suspension.

Your 97 was the birth of one of the best motors to ever be put in a motorcycle IMO.

thats why i was asking you before about the dl650,

after riding the tl1000, i didnt think i would be happy with anything but another big twin, have my eye on a k4

dl1000 ( will most likely do 98-99% ON road.)

I debated the same when I was looking, and really the only reason I went with the DL1k was because a mint used one fell in my lap. Honestly for the type of riding I do, the 650 is a better bike but now that I've got a lot of miles on the Vee, I really have come to appreciate the wider power band, especially for long distance, 2-up, etc.

I think that's the big diff....if you're looking for more of a long-distance, 2-up or heavy-load tourer that will lug along at 85 all day long or if you're an amazonian giant, the Vee is your machine. The Wee is better at just about everything else, it's nimbler, better on gas, cheaper, better offroad, etc.

You can do a lot to the Vee to make it a better handler, a fork brace, better shock/springs and a little setup will REALLY make it a fun bike in the twisties, probably on par with the stock Wee, but it's a bigger animal and on the trails it's an elephant...although I still try it! Where the Vee really kicks ass is above 5k, when that Vtwin makes its sweet power up high, it's a grin-machine.....when the Wee gets buzzy the Vee starts to sing.

Edited by swingset

Brian

I'd look into the SW Motech racks, I think it's a better setup than the GIVI's, and is plenty tough I've had mine down several times and it didn't even budge them.

Anytime you wanna go ride, drop me a PM! Strom owners need to stick together, ugly bikes look better in packs.

:tongue:

I'd look into the SW Motech racks, I think it's a better setup than the GIVI's, and is plenty tough I've had mine down several times and it didn't even budge them.

Anytime you wanna go ride, drop me a PM! Strom owners need to stick together, ugly bikes look better in packs.

:tongue:

Cool:cool: Will do.

Casper you getting a v-strom? Its a great great freeking motorcycle!!!! I have the 650 and love the thing. U are welcome to borrow it for a couple days if u want. Great bikes!

JimmyC: i have a 97 TLS and will keep it forever! I put ohlins on the rear...

• 3 weeks later...
Casper you getting a v-strom? Its a great great freeking motorcycle!!!! I have the 650 and love the thing.

JimmyC: i have a 97 TLS and will keep it forever! I put ohlins on the rear...

Yes love the TLs , hope to keep it forever, but torn between a beautiful 2005 FJR1300 or a 2005 Very Clean

Vee. waiting on the call for the vee, goin to see the FJR sunday.