Dealership service trouble

Cdubyah

So long story short, my 2010 Ram keep kicking the transmission into limp mode. Its very random, and corrects itself when turning off the truck and turning bavk on. That part doesn't bother me as much as the sudden emergency braking at 60mph. Not sure if its the tranny or something else. Usually after a power brake out of the blue the transmission will go into limp mode.

First trip to service, they flashed the pcm at no charge, didn't fix it. Next service trip cost me $835 for a transmission solenoid pack. Still didn't fix the trouble. They have now had my truck a 3rd time since Nov. 19.

They have recreated the limp mode twice, but cant get the truxk to throw a code out.

So last contact was Friday, when they told me they would have a tech drive it with the code reader to see what it was doing on the road. I asked for something to drive over the weekend to which I was told "we can get you your truck back." I told them I dont want it back until fixed.

So collective brain trust, what do I do now? I still have 2 years left to pay. Its worth more than my loan payoff. I havent setup shop yet at the service department, but im starting to get a little salty. I feel that they are just icing me off until I go away.

Lemon law doesn't apply unfortunately. Already looked into that.

Called this afternoon for an update an got voicemail...

Im hoping to speak with the service manager. After that convo, I'll go higher.

Tossing money and parts seems like what they are going after. Ive already had that conversation with them.

To be honest, you're pretty much SOL. Out of warrenty, way out of lemon law, and owe on the vehicle. Best bet is to keep at it with this dealer, and play the "I did what you recommended and the car still isn't fixed" card. Don't go in there mother f***ing everyone, raising your voice a little is fine, but don't get rude. We kick people out when they do these things: cuss, threaten, say the word "lawyer". Just stay on the service manager and if you have to, go for the dealership general manager. Request their top tech, and tell them you don't feel safe driving the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I agree with the post above mine.  But I would also contact the factory, they have reps to help with this shit.  Also check around and see if there is a way to disable this 'feature'.  There is on many cars.

I agree with the post above mine. But I would also contact the factory, they have reps to help with this shit. Also check around and see if there is a way to disable this 'feature'. There is on many cars.

"Limp home mode" is typically not a feature you can disable. It's a fail safe built into the pcm software.

The factory may not have a sympathetic ear. The dealership and the manufacturer are two separate companies. The factory may not want to get involved since it wasn't involved from the get go.

The OP can still try the manufacturers customer affairs department. I doubt they'll be much satisfaction though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive already thrown out the safety card. To be honest it really is. When Im clipping along at 60, then the truck decides to engine brake to 20 without warning. I consider that a safety issue.

I havent really raised my voice too much in person. Its mostly been on the phone. I had to apologize for losing my cool to the service advisor over the telephone.

However, when the service tech said on trip #3 that the computer wasnt storing limp mode, and that the transmission has never been in limp mode I lost control a bit.

You tell them you want to speak with the regional manager. You spent money and they didn't fix your truck. Don't take that sitting down. You're there because they're the "experts". Make them earn that title. They don't get to toss parts at your truck because they're shitty technicians.

All this +There is a reason they are called techs rather than mechanics. When they hook it up to a computer and no codes are present they have no flippin idea in most cases what to do......hence the expensive part they threw on your truck. Just for the heck of it go to a reputable transmission shop and inquire about your problem. They may have the answer. If the dealers shop is a flat rate shop those techs don't make as much coin troubleshooting as they do changing parts. It could as one poster said as simple as a intermittent connection in the wiring. Ask for the owner or at least the number one guy at the dealership and explain to him your dilemma. The customer is the one that needs to let them know if something is not right. People down the ladder are not gonna rat themselves out for screwing up.

I don't believe "lemon law" applies here. There are very specific criteria that must be met in order to take advantage of such laws. Regardless, don't take that truck until it's repaired. Also, you tell that rep that you want your $800 back. They can put the old valve pack in the transmission if they have to, but don't pay for shit that doesn't fix your truck. You can toss parts on yourself for way cheaper than they can. Make them earn their title. It's why you pay out the nose for "factory trained technicians". 

ohio's lemon laws are very generous.   if it goes back more than x time for the same issue it qualifies.  if it's at the dealer more than 30 days, it qualifies, 

unless he bought it used.  

Edited by serpentracer

ohio's lemon laws are very generous. if it goes back more than x time for the same issue it qualifies. if it's at the dealer more than 30 days, it qualifies,

unless he bought it used.

From the Ohio AG: "The problems must occur within the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first."

• Upvote 1

Cars are complicated these days, if the Dodge engineers/programmers didn't command it to throw a code or detail possible causes in the manual... what is anyone going to do?

Piss and moan on the internet of course!

Contacted Dodge Customer care this morning. Dodge Case Management is taking over. Hopefully we get somewhere now.

So the service advisor called this morning.

They have recreated thr trouble twice, but the computer isn't storing the code. What do you want us to do?

Thats some shitty customer service right there.

They have resources for technical assistance, THEY know what THEY need to do!  That fancy scanner that they checked for the codes with?  It's connected to a laptop.  They can put said laptop in the truck, maybe even have someone else with them to drive, and watch the data and take a "snapshot" or recording of what's going on when the problem occurs.  It could be as simple as a speed sensor getting a slightly skewed reading, they've had speed sensor issues for MANY years, like all the way back to the early 90's for their transmissions!  Let's face it, transmissions are not known to be one of Chrysler's strong points! (I have made a LOT of money fixing them over the years when I was in independent shops, before making the move to GM dealerships.)

What bothers me as a technician, is that they would have it go into a lower (that much lower, anyway) gear immediately when it happens.  

PM me, or hit me up on FB with the Dealership name.

I am real surprised it hasn't been said yet. It's a Dodge, it WILL have tranny issues. They always have and always will. Shitty situation your in though. i would say take it to a different dealer.

Unfortunately, the best guy I know when it comes to Chrysler's and their transmission has moved on to GM!  Otherwise, I'd tell you to take it to where he worked!