need to find a yamaha master tech

serpentracer

my 2015 R1 has a serious recall on the transmission. which will require engine splitting.    so I need to find a really good mechanic to do the work.  yamaha is only allowing their Master Techs to perform the work.  the problem is only 1 dealer in cincinnati is a certified shop with one.   the problem...it's frigging cycle specialties.  who are not known for their quality work from what I hear.

if you guys know of a yamaha mechanic please share.  I'm willing to drive as far north as columbus. 

I do plan on it.  but will get the recall done anyway.  will seek lemon law.  can't ride it so the 30 days should be easy and then there's the fact this recall will definitely hurt it's value.    I just want rid of this one for a new one or my money back.

Edited by serpentracer

Brooklyn is a tech at cycle specialties on the west side. Contact him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the western hills shop where he works is not a certified shop to do the work.  they have to have a YTA gold motorsports technician  working there.  only the other location does.  I used yamaha's site to locate one.  there are other shops.  one in dayton and one in wilmington.

Edited by serpentracer

I thought the R1 had a cassette transmission... No splitting the case to access gears, drum and forks?

Nope. Would of been nice. It needs an extensive teardown and it looks like they're not warranting the work. Waiting to get the notice but it's already online and it doesn't say anything about it having a warranty. If not Ohio lemon law should cover me

is your bike experiencing any symptom of the bulletin for 3rd and 4th gears?

if not: they will not make repairs unless symptoms can be duplicated.

if so: factory warrenty will take care of the cost of repair, as long as you are still within your warrenty period

the campaign for second gear covers just that... second gear (and whatever else is in the outlined campaign bulletin)

the 3rd and 4th gear bulletin you referred to sounds like a technical service bulletin. which does not fall under the same category for repair authorization as as a campaign bulletin (whats commonly referred to as "recall")

dont freak out. every new vehicle, especially now days with our countries huge epidemic of entitlement and our sue happy legal system, has recalls. it wont lower the value. for instance: bmw s1000rr's had a recall on the crankshaft of certain affected VIN's in 2012. those bikes still sell for above 11k.

is your bike experiencing any symptom of the bulletin for 3rd and 4th gears?

if not: they will not make repairs unless symptoms can be duplicated.

if so: factory warrenty will take care of the cost of repair, as long as you are still within your warrenty period

the campaign for second gear covers just that... second gear (and whatever else is in the outlined campaign bulletin)

the 3rd and 4th gear bulletin you referred to sounds like a technical service bulletin. which does not fall under the same category for repair authorization as as a campaign bulletin (whats commonly referred to as "recall")

dont freak out. every new vehicle, especially now days with our countries huge epidemic of entitlement and our sue happy legal system, has recalls. it wont lower the value. for instance: bmw s1000rr's had a recall on the crankshaft of certain affected VIN's in 2012. those bikes still sell for above 11k.

Nope they are replacing entire assembly. So all six gears are being replaced

Clinton County and ask for Mike in service.  He's a solid Yamaha tech and they do great work. 

And as far as recall, if there is issue with other things during the tear down and inspection, they will cover under warranty.

As far as lemon law, it has to be out of commission for 30 days plus to qualify or three times in service for the same thing.  Otherwise, you won't get it handled...

Clinton County and ask for Mike in service.  He's a solid Yamaha tech and they do great work. 

And as far as recall, if there is issue with other things during the tear down and inspection, they will cover under warranty.

As far as lemon law, it has to be out of commission for 30 days plus to qualify or three times in service for the same thing.  Otherwise, you won't get it handled...

anyone closer to cbus?

ohio's law says 30 days from the day I drop it off until they call with it done.  this includes holidays and weekends.  

I just wish they'd include a little extra time on the warranty for this work.  but theyre not offering anything.   kind of sucks for a vehicle with only a 12 month warranty standard.    I guess I'm going to have to buy that YES warranty after all if they get it fixed in the 30 day window.  I'm hoping they run out of parts or the holidays fuck it up..wink wink.  haha.

thanks for the info about clinton county.  that's not too far from me.

Edited by serpentracer

• 3 months later...

Well i ended up going to cycle specialties in fairfield.  Bike seems fine however i have only rode it 2 miles.  Found some things i dont like.  Left the engine messy with old oil.  So things appear to be leaking.  I cleaned it off and keeping an eye on it.

Front fairing was not installed correctly.  Coolant in radiator was about 20% low ans overflow bottle empty.

Oil appears to be leaking from the cooler hose.

Oil filter dented from them torqing it so tight with pliers.

Tank vent hoses were kinked under tank and not routed properly

Tank bolt not tight(finger tight)

Scratches on silver radiator line where they pryed the hose off with a screwdriver.

Mist of the fairing brackets were bent out of shape. I have no idea how they managed to line up the holes. When i went to put them back on no screw holes lined up on any bracket.

And i notice that my shift shaft has excessive amount of play and is soaked/dripping oil.

Minor nitpick things but it has me concerened that the engine probably has issues.  If they left the tank bilt loose what if they forgot the oil pickup tube? 

On top of that i dropped it off on dec 28 and they finally finished it a week ago.  2 months!

I will not recommend this shop to anyone.

Should of went to the shop brian recommended.

i have been contacted by a class action lawyer about a suit they have open. They are in california and im too leery of it without being able to meet these people in person.

Edited by serpentracer

Wanted to add im not super pissed off at them but its a lot of little stuff they didnt take the time to do right.  And that is a problem for me.  This is why dealers never work on my stuff and i knew this kind of thing was going to happen no matter where i took it to.  

So much for my trailer fund.  I just spent it on an extended warranty.. thanks for having our back yamaha.  For piece of mind i had to pay them another $500. Way to build customer loyalty

Edited by serpentracer

38 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

Well i ended up going to cycle specialties in fairfield.  Bike seems fine however i have only rode it 2 miles.  Found some things i dont like.  Left the engine messy with old oil.  So things appear to be leaking.  I cleaned it off and keeping an eye on it.

Front fairing was not installed correctly.  Coolant in radiator was about 20% low ans overflow bottle empty.

Scratches on silver radiator line where they pryed the hose off with a screwdriver.

Mist of the fairing brackets were bent out of shape. I have no idea how they managed to line up the holes. When i went to put them back on no screw holes lined up on any bracket.

And i notice that my shift shaft has excessive amount of play and is soaked/dripping oil.

Minor nitpick things but it has me concerened that the engine probably has issues.  If they left the tank bilt loose what if they forgot the oil pickup tube? 

On top of that i dropped it off on dec 28 and they finally finished it a week ago.  2 months!

i have been contacted by a class action lawyer about a suit they have open. They are in california and im too leery of it without being able to meet these people in person.

Yeah, those may SOUND like little things, but they AREN'T all that little, especially when there are so many!  I work at a car dealership, and our customers get surveys about their visit for warranty work.  I'm not telling you to "blow them up" on the survey, unless you feel they have missed the mark, which it sounds as though they have.  Unfortunately, these surveys weigh HEAVILY on they way we do business, and we will do just about anything to convince the customer to give us all the best marks.  The other bad part is that at the technician level, there's not a lot of what we do other than the obvious of fixing it right the first time, not making a mess, etc. the will effect the survey, it's more about customer service.  The customer can also submit the survey anonymously, therefore we aren't able to go back and see who/what it was so that we can learn from what we may have done wrong.

12 hours ago, serpentracer said:

Yes, I took mine to CCM and they were great. I had one issue with it leaking coolant and they drove up to Columbus to pick it up and drop it back off. Turned out to be the O-ring at the thermostat which they said wasn't even apart. They also noticed I was running engine ice and refilled it with that and asked what type of oil I used. Told them Rotella and they said they stock it since a lot of their dirtbike customers use it so they filled it with that also. Bike looks just like it did when I dropped it off. They even wired my filter and exhaust like I had it. It shifts fine but I'll still be nervous until I can hammer on it at the track.

Edited by OSUYZFR1
mistype
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2016 at 9:04 PM, jporter12 said:

Yeah, those may SOUND like little things, but they AREN'T all that little, especially when there are so many!  I work at a car dealership, and our customers get surveys about their visit for warranty work.  I'm not telling you to "blow them up" on the survey, unless you feel they have missed the mark, which it sounds as though they have.  Unfortunately, these surveys weigh HEAVILY on they way we do business, and we will do just about anything to convince the customer to give us all the best marks.  The other bad part is that at the technician level, there's not a lot of what we do other than the obvious of fixing it right the first time, not making a mess, etc. the will effect the survey, it's more about customer service.  The customer can also submit the survey anonymously, therefore we aren't able to go back and see who/what it was so that we can learn from what we may have done wrong.

I plan on calling yamaha corporate in cali soon.  I have pictures of it while it was apart and he didnt bother to clean the outside of the block before he opened it up.  There was dirt laying inside the motor visible in the pictures.

I was even going to tip the tech if he did a good job.  But it looks as though he rushed it at the end for the most part.  

The bad part is the service manager was on vacation the week they finally worked on it.  He gave me the impression he was going to make sure it was done with better quality control.  I just knew from past experiences it was going to turn out this way. Thats my luck.

On March 9, 2016 at 8:20 PM, serpentracer said:

I would not accept any of what you listed! Comes back as good or better or they get it back to do it right.

When you accept shitty work, they think there shitty work is ok.

• Upvote 1

I hear ya.  But what id dont want is it to sit for another 2 months and they fuck it up even more.  They will hear about the issues just not in person.  I will let yamaha contact them about it.  And ill take it to the place i bought from if these turn out to be leaks etc . The rest i already fixed.  The old guy that works on bikes where i bought it seems like he would of done a better job.  Or at least with more care.  In the end we are the only ones who care about our bike. Its just a paycheck to them

Edited by serpentracer

• 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

As a professional wrench, your "nitpicking" is more than valid. That's shoddy work and the reason folks don't like paying for service. I appreciate your situation, having needed warranty service, but I'd shove that motorcycle up someone's ass. A Yamaha dealer should never let a Yamaha leave their shop in that condition. Yammies are their speciality. 

If I let a Cadillac out of the shop with residual oil, I have HELL to pay!  

My goal when working on a vehicle is to have it look as it came from the factory, within reason of course.

• Upvote 1