HARLEY-DAVIDSON OWNERS FEEL RECALL STING

MichaelS

The Wall Street Journal. 10/06/2015. Page B1. Harley-Davidson Inc. motorcycles have been recalled numerous times over the last two years and the cost of repairing defects on the bikes has increased. The company’s reputation, along with its U.S. market share, is declining. A compilation of U.S. government data by The Wall Street Journal shows that approximately 210,000 Harley vehicles were covered by recalls in 2014 and 312,000 have been affected by recalls so far this year, compared with an average of 94,000 annually for the 10 years through 2013. Michelle Kumbler, Harley’s senior vice president in charge of manufacturing and suppliers, said that the Milwaukee-based company was taking a close look at its manufacturing, design, testing and sourcing of supplies to discover how flaws can be avoided in the future. Harley-Davidson motorcycles have been recently recalled to correct problems involving a faulty cylinder that could disable the clutch, a defective fuel pump seal and a clasp that could allow saddlebags to fall off the rear of the bike. Harley said that these defects have been factors in 35 crashes and other incidents and six minor injuries. Harley has paid approximately $30 million on recalls during the three years through 2014, compared with $7.9 million in the three years through 2004, a period when Harley sold approximately 27 percent more vehicles than in the more recent period. The article includes a bar graph comparing the number of new registrations of Harley-Davidson vehicles and the number of recalls each year since 2008, based on data from the company, William Blair & Co., and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

I guess this is the growing pains of introducing new features. The saddle bag fasteners where due to a change in outsourced manufacturers. Their hydrualic clutch has been nothing but problems, and it pulls harder than their cable clutches. None of them is as bad as BMW rear drive failures and buying back bikes.

I don't think this is anything new to a manufacturer that puts out a redesigned series of bikes (Rushmore). And I would bet that HD expected this to some degree. I was one of the guinea pigs to Fords new Sync system and that was a nightmare. Two years later I bought another Ford with the same system and it works great. I own an HD Rushmore (2014) and I love it. I wouldn't have considered an HD prior to the upgrades.So I commend HD for pushing their own envelope to produce a more current technology product. Until something really bad happens (engine failure) due to the newer models, I'll remain a happy customer to HD.

• Upvote 1

So I commend HD for pushing their own envelope to produce a more current technology product. 

You should aim some of your commend-ing at the EPA.  HD would be happy making air cooled motorcycles forever, but the EPA is gradually making that more difficult.  Air cooled heads aren't exactly "current" technology.

I doubt that there will be anything air cooled left in HD's line up 10 years from now.

I doubt that there will be anything air cooled left in HD's line up 10 years from now.

Paleez... Let's hope not!

Pushing the envelope...they are still 40 years behind Japan and Europe!

Notice I said "their" envelope... not "the" envelope! And there are still people saying they should stick to the way they've been making bikes forever... 

Their technology is by no means ground breaking, but compare them to a metric cruiser in the same category. Not too many 1600cc metric cruisers.... IMO their also very simple to work on. I've rode and worked on enough non-harley cruisers to know why their soo much cheaper.

Their technology is by no means ground breaking, but compare them to a metric cruiser in the same category. Not too many 1600cc metric cruisers.... IMO their also very simple to work on. I've rode and worked on enough non-harley cruisers to know why their soo much cheaper.

Pretty much every Japanese manufacturer makes a cruiser at or around 1600 cc.

Star Stratoliner, Honda 1300 Custom Line, several Goldwing variants, the Suzuki Boulevard M109 and C/M90s...  All have excellent pricing and reliability that equals or exceeds HD's, so what have you been working on and why specifically do you think they're harder to work on or have attributes classifying them cheaper than HD?  Dude, your FJR is superior in every way to every HD except for subjective style differences, torque on paper and possibly 2-up riding comfort.  Oh, and noise. ;-)

I've rode and worked on enough non-harley cruisers to know why their soo much cheaper.

Hog wash, the Kawasaki cruisers are going 200K+ with no major issues. I am not a Harley hater, they make great bikes but they don't go 200k without multiple major engine repairs/rebuilds. Especially the upper end. And the Honda's are better than the Kaw's.

And WTF, my Kawasaki just had a recall, how come we don't get a hate thread about us.  Feeling a little left out here.

• Upvote 1

Star Stratoliner, Honda 1300 Custom Line, several Goldwing variants, the Suzuki Boulevard M109 and C/M90s...  All have excellent pricing and reliability that equals or exceeds HD's, so what have you been working on and why specifically do you think they're harder to work on or have attributes classifying them cheaper than HD?  Dude, your FJR is superior in every way to every HD except for subjective style differences, torque on paper and possibly 2-up riding comfort.  Oh, and noise. ;-)

I would consider the Goldwing highest in reliability of the bikes you mentioned. All of the others, have you seen very many with 75,000+ miles, or let alone see one on the road? They're good bikes, and the few people who have them take good care of them. Cruisers are cruisers, doesn't matter the brand, their technology isn't as advanced like sport bikes or sport tourers. I bought my FJR after test riding a few Harley Baggers. Great bikes, just didn't have the performance that I wanted. Most Harley issues I see are due to neglect by their owners. I just think people hate Harleys due to the stereotypical "Biker Poser" who has a Harley and abuses it bar hopping and doing burnouts.

Hog wash, the Kawasaki cruisers are going 200K+ with no major issues. I am not a Harley hater, they make great bikes but they don't go 200k without multiple major engine repairs/rebuilds. Especially the upper end. And the Honda's are better than the Kaw's.

And WTF, my Kawasaki just had a recall, how come we don't get a hate thread about us.  Feeling a little left out here.

I didn't get a notice of it in my inbox.  I guess the WSJ doesn't care about Kawi. 

I would consider the Goldwing highest in reliability of the bikes you mentioned. All of the others, have you seen very many with 75,000+ miles, or let alone see one on the road? They're good bikes, and the few people who have them take good care of them. Cruisers are cruisers, doesn't matter the brand, their technology isn't as advanced like sport bikes or sport tourers. I bought my FJR after test riding a few Harley Baggers. Great bikes, just didn't have the performance that I wanted. Most Harley issues I see are due to neglect by their owners. I just think people hate Harleys due to the stereotypical "Biker Poser" who has a Harley and abuses it bar hopping and doing burnouts.

I will grant you that a lot of the HD hate is because of the people that own/ride them, not as much the bikes.  Much like vettes.  My neighbor feels the need to "warm" up his HD at all times of the day/night for many many minutes.  Which is completely stupid to begin with not accounting for the time of day.  It also sounds terrible and seems to run like crap. 

I will grant you that a lot of the HD hate is because of the people that own/ride them, not as much the bikes.  Much like vettes.  My neighbor feels the need to "warm" up his HD at all times of the day/night for many many minutes.  Which is completely stupid to begin with not accounting for the time of day.  It also sounds terrible and seems to run like crap. 

I know how you feel, my neighbor had a chopper that needed carb work, but insisted on running it 12:30 at night and revving the crap out of it. Most HD riders own them for the image and trailer their bikes everywhere. There are some that are true riders though.

I am a rider, not a motorcycle enthusiast.  Harleys just never made my manly bits tingle.

That's what makes our hobby/lifestyle so great. We have endless options on what type of bike we want to ride. I'd like one of each but my money tree died....

I am a rider, not a motorcycle enthusiast.  Harleys just never made my manly bits tingle.

I'll admit that my first two bikes (cruisers) were Japanese because they offered the best bang for my buck - I didn't buy them because they had better styling than HD - I still think most HDs look sharp as hell, especially the white Road Kings.  Had HD offered a comparable model at a competitive price, I very well could have gone that route, but I didn't want to lay down 5 figures on a hobby I might not stick with.  They turned out to be two great decisions.

Then I stepped into light off-road riding and there was nothing remotely available from HD, not even a light scrambler, and by then I was jaded by a general sense of HD snobbishness and asshattery anyway.

For what they are, I think HDs are fine bikes and I don't malign anyone who owns one unless their attitude sucks, but that's a person problem, not a bike problem.  They just don't make a model I want to spend (way too much) cash on.

• Upvote 1

I rented a fatboy once. It was pretty cool. Don't know what I'd use it for other than taking wifey out on a more comfy bike. I ride my grom almost daily. And the 599 for high speed weekend shenanigans. I guess I could take a HD to bike night and get wasted then try to ride home.