Ordering Car tires online?

Bad324

Anyone use a cheaper option than tire rack?

Need new tires for the daily before winter and so far the tirerack / install at the NTB next to my office combo is $550 after a mail in rebate on the tires for 215/60/16 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Seasons.

I have a very good friend that manages a Discount Tire, and he's always matched Tire Rack's price. The sales tax paid normally equals the shipping charge from Tire Rack, in my experience.

Also, I have piece of mind by buying from a national chain, and the service they provide with the optional road hazard warranty, that might be helpful in the future when traveling.

With that said, I've also had very good service from Tire Rack when I've purchased wheel/tire combos, that arrive mounted and balanced.

My suggestion: Print out the exact order from Tire Rack, then go to a few local yet national chain places. I'm willing to bet most would match the price.

I want to use the NTB next to my office for the convenience factor. They said they couldn't get the goodyears so to go the tire rack route. Wonder if they would still use tires ordered elsewhere

If it means paying a few bucks more I can swallow that but if I can find a place I'll save $75-100 then I would change plans to save that amount

I want to use the NTB next to my office for the convenience factor. They said they couldn't get the goodyears so to go the tire rack route. Wonder if they would still use tires ordered elsewhere

If it means paying a few bucks more I can swallow that but if I can find a place I'll save $75-100 then I would change plans to save that amount

How the fuck are we supposed to know if NTB will mount tires bought from places other than Tire Rack? Suggestion: Call them and ask.

If you want that particular tire, and you want that particular NTB to install them...is it so hard to just do that?

Do you want one of us to come hold your hand through this difficult process?

Jesus fuck.

Do you have this much difficulty picking out socks in the morning, or does your mommy lay them out for you before bed time?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Go ahead and buy those Goodyear tires if you want to replace them this time next year.  I would rather go to a rock quarry, buy 4 slabs of rock and chisel them into a set of wheels to mount to my car before I'd ever buy a set of Goodyear tires.

But hey....if they only last you one year and still have a little tread left I'm sure you could sell them for twice what you paid for them.

:D

• Upvote 1

Go ahead and buy those Goodyear tires if you want to replace them this time next year.  I would rather go to a rock quarry, buy 4 slabs of rock and chisel them into a set of wheels to mount to my car before I'd ever buy a set of Goodyear tires.

But hey....if they only last you one year and still have a little tread left I'm sure you could sell them for twice what you paid for them.

I'm open to suggestion. I've just had two different people suggest these ones which is why I was looking at them. I've only had 1 experience with Goodyears and they only lasted 30k miles but were a much cheaper model

Go ahead and buy those Goodyear tires if you want to replace them this time next year. I would rather go to a rock quarry, buy 4 slabs of rock and chisel them into a set of wheels to mount to my car before I'd ever buy a set of Goodyear tires.

I have those same tires on my wifes Impala,they have been on there for a year and a half with about 40,000miles on them. Just rotated them for the first time yesterday and the ones that were on the front have right at half the tread left and the ones on the rear were little more than that. Plus I used to hate that car in the winter now with those tires it will go anywhere. Love these tires Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

If I'm just buying tires to go on my current wheels I go to tire discounters or discount tire, but buy brand name.  Just disposing of old tires can be expensive.

When I got wheel/tire combos (offroad for my Bronco and winter setup for my Subaru) I got them from tire rack.  Arrived ready to install the wheels.  Saved me having to cart my subaru summer tires home from the shop.

I'm looking to buy a set of 33" road tires for my bronco and will get wheels with them - the chunky offroad tires are like driving on a cobblestone road.  Likely go to tire rack again - although these have a hefty freight charge due to size/weight - have to be LTL shipped to a loading dock or pay extra for liftgate service.

Edited by Scruit

Anyone use a cheaper option than tire rack?

Need new tires for the daily before winter and so far the tirerack / install at the NTB next to my office combo is $550 after a mail in rebate on the tires for 215/60/16 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Seasons.

Check discount tire, they are $550 and you get the $60 rebate off of that. Plus you don't have to piss with ordering from one place to have them installed somewhere else.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/cart/selectStore.do?productTypeId=1&r=OHNINT&storeCode=OHN-01&productId=30670

I'm also not a goodyear fan. Everyone I have used wear out quick and ride like shit. If these work for you go for it.

Edited by blue03636
  • Upvote 1

I have those same tires on my wifes Impala,they have been on there for a year and a half with about 40,000miles on them. Just rotated them for the first time yesterday and the ones that were on the front have right at half the tread left and the ones on the rear were little more than that. Plus I used to hate that car in the winter now with those tires it will go anywhere. Love these tires

You got really lucky 2tall because every set of GY tires I've ever had have never come close to a rated treadwear and were horrible in even light weather conditions.  Not only have I used them but I worked at the GY HQ in Akron, specifically their Tech Center where all of the tires are engineered.  I saw some things that opened my eyes while there so I will say it again...I will NEVER put them on anything I own.

You got really lucky 2tall because every set of GY tires I've ever had have never come close to a rated treadwear and were horrible in even light weather conditions.  Not only have I used them but I worked at the GY HQ in Akron, specifically their Tech Center where all of the tires are engineered.  I saw some things that opened my eyes while there so I will say it again...I will NEVER put them on anything I own.

what's your flavor? Really all I'm looking for is something that doesn't suck in the snow and can last 50-60k miles so they will last me 2-3 years

I typically only use Tire Rack for their reviews on different brands that are in the size I'm looking for.  I have ordered from them one time and had the tires sent to and install by an NTB.  The process was straight forward and painless if that's something you want to do.

what's your flavor? Really all I'm looking for is something that doesn't suck in the snow and can last 50-60k miles so they will last me 2-3 years

What size tires?  I've had success with Yokohama's, Continental, BFGoodrich.  If you're looking at 50-60k mile tires you should easily get 2-3 years from them.

My bad...found the size in your first post...

Edited by r1crusher

Just taking a quick look at tire rack....there's a Continental TrueContact that's rated at 800 for treadwear...Pirelli has a Cinturato P7 rated at 700...both get good snow ratings.  I was going to put on the P7's very recently on my Taurus but I went with Continental instead (wanted a more sport oriented tire vs. a grand touring).

Edited by r1crusher

Just taking a quick look at tire rack....there's a Continental TrueContact that's rated at 800 for treadwear...Pirelli has a Cinturato P7 rated at 700...both get good snow ratings.  I was going to put on the P7's very recently on my Taurus but I went with Continental instead (wanted a more sport oriented tire vs. a grand touring).

Pirelli's look good and I do very much enjoy the sound Pirelli's make :D