School me on subarus

Gixxus Christ!

Looking at getting myself a used impreza or legacy. I remember someone on here really knowing their shit in regards to subies, especially which motors and trannies were really good. Currently looking at an 07 legacy and an 09 impreza, both with right around 100k on them.

I will say I was not a fan of the 4sp slushbox in the wifes '10 Impreza we had.  The engine seemed fine but felt underpowered attached to that terrible tranny.  Unless you are going turbo that would be the same setup in either of those cars.  We had a terrible issue with rattles.  After 4 times at the dealer for it I gave up and we traded it in.  Unfortunately we were past the lemon time in CO. 

Head gaskets are something you should budget for. One time shot, if it's even necessary. I never had them done on my 2.2 (1996), but the 2.5 DOHC (1999) failed at 250k-ish. I had the gaskets done in the 2005 at 160k, just because it was in for an oil pan gasket and rear main seal. I just made it a preventative maintenance service for peace of mind.

The 09 impreza has a 2.5 sohc. Any issues with those?

How bad of a decision is it to buy a used WRX? I'd be looking at like 60-70k miles hopefully. I've heard some horror stories of people buying a seemingly nice used WRX only to have the engine implode because the previous owner was some asshat bro who loved pinging the rev limiter. Just wondering if these are wives tales or something to actually be wary of.

Besides subie I'm also looking at Mazda3/MazdaSpeed.

Currently looking at an 07 legacy and an 09 impreza, both with right around 100k on them.

I'm on my 2nd Subaru Outback.  I got it with 6700 miles and it now has 145k on it. 

I like the AWD all the time.  When the road is slick, I hardly know it.  It hugs the

corners and it's a fine car for what my needs are.  Mine is a wagon, and I haul

stuff regularly.

Regarding the timing belt.  I had a new one installed at 125k miles or so.  I didn't

know that it is also recommended to change the head gaskets at that point.  My

heads gaskets when sour and it cost me some money.  But, the car has been up

and running fine since then (earlier this year). 

Subaru is at the top of my list, as I drive 30+ miles one way for work, and I'm expected

to be there regardless of the weather.  Other than brakes, tires, catalytic  converter,

wipers, headlights, tail lights, interior light, battery, the "Y" exhaust pipe in the

rear, and the two front axles, I haven't done anything else to it, except for plugs

and wires when i took it in for the timing belt.  It was a long time before I had to put

any money into it.

For driving over 100k, before I needed to put it in the shop, I don't think that is

too bad.

My guideline for purchasing a vehicle is to buy one with less than 10k miles per

year of age.  They are out there if you keep your eyes open before you actually

have the need to purchase.

Gump, they're all boxers. The new 4-cylinders are chain driven, like your 6-cylinder. The models Sam mentioned are belt driven cams.

Ahhh thanks, didn't realize the term "boxer" covered both. Horizontally opposed.

My dad a Forrester and went off the road in icy conditions.  Totaled the car, but he walked away without a scratch!

So he bought another.

It rolled over 200K so he sold it on Craigslist (VERY easy sale, from what I understand, as the car is in demand) and now he's on his third Forrester.  From what I hear, he has nothing but good things to say about them.

Our legacy has a cvt that you can paddle shift and pretend it's a stick. It works well, gets good mileage and I believe has fewer moving parts and wearable parts than a conventional automatic. They are louder tho. I don't mind the cvt, I also have one in my sentra but I prefer a stick.

I have a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport and just love the damn thing, it is a 5 speed and I rarely drop below 25 mpg and get as high as 31 on the slab. I am at around 72K and all I have done is just the recommended services, the car has just been bulletproof so far. With a proper set of tires these cars are like snow moblies, the only thing that even comes close to their limits is ground clearance, and even then most times it still makes no difference. I hear the new engine with CVT is just as fast if not faster than the old engine and tranny, it just lays it down differently and is deceiving how fast you are accelerating. I really like the Outbacks, and would likely go that route next time.

If only I could find one in my price range and get a decent trade in on my Nissan.

Are you willing to travel south towards like for example "Columbus" if a good deal or trade could be made? There are shit tons of Subarus around here and dealers, I would imagine you could find what you are looking for.