Anyone have experience with Vemar helmets?

Ryan_c_F

Scored what appears to be a pretty great deal on the Vemar Eclipse Lion 'Night Vision'. It's a tri-comp (carbon fiber, kevlar, fibreglas) shell and has maybe the most overkill locking shield mechanism I've ever seen... picked it up for less than $150.00.

Vemar-Eclipse-Lion-327.jpg

The white lion emblem and the Vemar branding on the side in the pic glow in the dark. :crazy:

Anyone here ever bought/used Vemar helmets?

• 3 weeks later...

Got it back about two weeks ago. Cliff's notes -- it's nice!

The first thing I noticed about it was the quality of the graphics. It's a beautiful helmet, and the Thundercats motif on the side looks great in person. Doesn't get nearly as many sideways looks as my last one, which looked like Ed Hardy threw up all over it. The rampant lions on the backside are especially nice. Little aluminum accents over the exhaust vents, metal mesh in the brow intake vents too. Really communicates an up-market look.

It's a race-spec helmet (DOT and EU approved), so a lot of it is over-engineered. The latches you see on the visor, for example, are unique. To remove them, you flip a latch at the back of that polygonal aluminum 'key', rotate down 90*, remove the key, rotate the L-shaped latch down and pop the visor off from around it. Either one of those latches looks like enough to hold the visor in place by itself... it does also have a locking tab on the left side of the visor in case these metal hinges weren't enough. Controls are easily accessible and easy to use with gloves (with the exception of the double-ring chinstrap; it's making me miss the ratchet-strap on my last one). Chin intake, brow intake, and the two crown vents up top. Control detents are positive. The visor cracks open in case you need more airflow, too.

It's extremely tight around the neck and cheekbones when I go to put this helmet on; I BARELY fit my head in applying significant pressure to the neckroll (the helmet's, not mine, lol). Once it's in, my ears are tight against the speakers on the SMH10.That said, the fit is very comfortable once the helmet's actually on. Padding is good, and there's even a bit of soft-touch material on the chinbar where it looks to be solid plastic. Padding seems a bit spartan, especially around the crown of the head, but functional. The padding has disconnected the microphone linkage for the SMH10 a few times; going to have to relocate it or otherwise it's just an expensive set of headphones.

It's also extremely light (being carbon fiber and kevlar), and cuts through the air very well. Very little turbulence, even at 'extra-legal' speeds. There is a bit of wind howl at high speeds, which stems from the gap caused in the neck lining by the chin strap. Will try to bodge something together behind the strap to see if it'll fill that gap; holding my glove in front of that area at speed makes this helmet dead quiet, easily more quiet than my old Scorpion EXO1000.

I'm glad that this one shipped with a spare dark visor, in addition to the mandated clear visor. Replacements are $70!

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it so far, especially at the price. Snagged it off of motorcyclegear/newenough for just a hair under $150, which is easily the cheapest carbon fiber helmet I've ever seen. Looks great, feels good (once it's on) and I'm confident it's engineered to survive any kind of crash I could throw at it.

IHO4LfT.jpg

GieuUbb.jpg

R0Lk8Gj.jpg

A3lopof.jpg

Edited by Ryan_c_F