Budget Adventure/Sport Touring Bike

JustinNck1

Hey guys, I got a buddy looking for either an Adventure or Sport Touring bike. He had a sport bike and is now ready for something comfortable to log some miles. He is on a tight budget ($2000 tops). Any recommendations what to look for? He would like to find a Concours or ST1100, but we have not had any luck in that price range. I was thinking maybe an FZ6, Vstrom, or VFR?

I have seen some Gen1 FZ1's (01-05) selling for around $2600 - $3500 if he can scrounge up a little more cash.  I have also seen plenty of that year Z1000 for about the same price range.  Both are great bikes!

• Upvote 1

I have seen some Gen1 FZ1's (01-05) selling for around $2600 - $3500 if he can scrounge up a little more cash.  I have also seen plenty of that year Z1000 for about the same price range.  Both are great bikes!

Thats what I have been saying. When you get up to around $3000, your options widen a good bit.

If it were me, I'd wait until I had at LEAST $3k saved up, but more likely $3.5-4k to get a reliable, comfortable, well-equipped sport-touring setup instead of trying to bottom-feed during seller's-peak season.  "Sport" means to me that your buddy wants to get jiggity into the turns, which says you must have good bearings and tires.  "Adventure" means to me that you want some off-pavement riding, and that takes longer suspension travel and most of those bikes (I have a couple) cost more than $2k if they're worth putting your life on 'em.  "Touring" means to me that you want to travel longer distances, which to me strongly suggests reliability and fresh maintenance.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input guys. We have found two likely candidates. A 99 BMW R1100RT and a 04 Suzuki Vstrom. The Vstrom looks really nice, but has high miles. He is leaning towards the BMW, which has half as many miles and an amazing service record. 

Fz1! 111fbb92b598e9859ef39c34c1d20ec6.jpg

Mines much more than 2.5k, but u can get some very reliable one locally in cbus for like 2 to 3.5k max. Mods are cheaper than dirt and it will def put a smile on your face for your purposes.

double thumbin' it!

You mention a FZ1 as a suggestion for a sport tourer or adventure bike. How are FZ1s as a sport bike. Is it better to get a true sport bike? I am thinking about getting an additional bike, but I have not ridden an fz1. A Connie will be my daily rider for the foreseeable future, but a sport bike could be fun on the weekends.

You mention a FZ1 as a suggestion for a sport tourer or adventure bike. How are FZ1s as a sport bike. Is it better to get a true sport bike? I am thinking about getting an additional bike, but I have not ridden an fz1. A Connie will be my daily rider for the foreseeable future, but a sport bike could be fun on the weekends.

150-155 whp with supporting mods, so far I've done an 11.2 1/4 @ 127mph & that's launching like a pussy. It's very upright and insurance considers it "sport touring" I've owned only 2 other bikes and I'm very pleased with my fz1.

double thumbin' it!

Fz1! 111fbb92b598e9859ef39c34c1d20ec6.jpg

Mines much more than 2.5k, but u can get some very reliable one locally in cbus for like 2 to 3.5k max. Mods are cheaper than dirt and it will def put a smile on your face for your purposes.

double thumbin' it!

That bike is sexy! Too bad I can't afford two bike payments right now. Someday, I will have a garage with more than one bike in it.....

• Upvote 1

I paid less than $3000 for my 650 Vstrom, however I have seen very few for sale in that price range. 

The Vstrom does make for a pretty comfortable very capable bike if you are looking to explore more adventurous gravel roads without spending a ton. 

Bikes like the Bandit and Versys are probably a little cheaper with the same age and mileage if you plan to stick to the pavement most of the time.

Craig

with a $2k budget, I think he's going to have to look at cheap bikes and then make them tour-worthy.

Buy something reliable that will eat up miles, and then spend the extra cash on a Corbin seat, hard luggage, and a bigger wind-screen.  maybe a throttle lock if he's really eating up highway miles.

People did those mods to their EX500 and logged 2,000 mile trips pretty easily.  You don't need a big bike to tour.

• Upvote 2

with a $2k budget, I think he's going to have to look at cheap bikes and then make them tour-worthy.

Buy something reliable that will eat up miles, and then spend the extra cash on a Corbin seat, hard luggage, and a bigger wind-screen.  maybe a throttle lock if he's really eating up highway miles.

People did those mods to their EX500 and logged 2,000 mile trips pretty easily.  You don't need a big bike to tour.

Its funny you say that, cause he sold his EX500 to get something else. I've made some impractical bikes worthy of long rides and a throttle lock or cruise control is a necessity IMO.

it's good.

I'm not a knee-dragger but the engine is hellstrong and the suspension copes very well with my weight (which is considerable).

Very enjoyable bike, does everything well.