Youth riding classes, resources?

wrenchandsprockets

Hey guys, I'm looking for information on youth riding classes around ohio or resources to teach young kids how to ride. I came across some info online, but looking more for a place that parents could take their kids to ride & recieve professional instruction. Has anyone heard of anything like this around our area?

It's called a dirt bike.

Seriously, get a dirt bike with a clutch and teach them what you know. Go to a local MX track and let them ride and learn from better riders. You can not teach experience or feel for a bike...it has to be experienced.

What age kid and what skills are you trying to teach/build?

Dirt bike + a field is a pretty solid combination for basics...  OMRL will run a kids class if any kids show up.  If it's just 1 kid, you may be better off just coming when no one else is there though.

If you're talking more advanced stuff, then I think OMRL is better than just a dirt bike and a field.  Someone is always available to tow and chase young riders during practice.

JustinNck1 thanks for the lead, I'll look into them.

whaler, thanks for your comment.

redkow97 this would be for young beginners maybe 4-8, with no experience other than riding a bicycle.

This is a broad question to see what's out there. A Google search didn't pull up much in our area. I have run into parents who do not ride themselves & have children who would like to learn. As well as new riders who would like someone with more experience to guide their kids first hands.

As a kid I loved motorcycles, ever since my parents first told me I couldn't have one

I know a guy that teaches MX basics at a easy track on his own property in Louisville (close to Canton)

The first question is do you own motorcycles for your kids yet? No place I can think of will supply bikes and you must bring your own. I would also recommend that your 4 year old be able to ride a bicycle without training wheels before slapping them on a motorcycle. Just my opinion but training wheels for motorcycles is the stupidest idea ever. Don't be in a rush for the kiddo's to be on motorcycles.

For the 4 year old you want to be looking for a Yamaha PW50, I would buy used, these thing are for sale all over the place in good condition. For the 8 year old I would be looking at one of the Honda CRF's or Yamaha TTR's with a clutch. Stay away from the KTM 50, 65, or 85 SX models, these are 2-stroke race bikes and will probably scare the crap out of your 8 year old plus they are high maintenance race bikes.

The guy is Louisville is Dave Bernard and you could contact him on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/dave.bernard.37?fref=ts 

Tell him Mark Fox sent you and he would help you out. 

Your other option is to take your kids to Briarcliff MX http://www.briarcliffmx.com/ 

They have a "C" track and it's all flat ground so I think the little ones would like it. You would have to do the teaching or try and recruit some help at the track. Don't just search MX tracks and show up, many don't have a kids track and PW wouldn't even be able to navigate many of them.