Carrying spare fuel? Do you? How?

JackFlash

What did you find was the easiest way to refill it? Did you pour it in at fillups 

often to keep it fresh?

Just kept a spoon full of Seafoam in each bottle - good stabilizer, good for the injectors, too for that matter. I would use up the bottles every year or so and refill.

Total overkill Jack, and that much usage can likely foul your plugs.

I'm only using the recommended dosage. 

I actually measure out the Seafoam before

I pour it in, and then I take a quick run around

town to get it in the system.  The bike always

fires right up and it's ready to go in the event

the weather entices me out of hibernation.

The Star Tron, I use it 80% of the time.  I have

no complaints.

"Last fill up of the season" is like when I know

my riding is going to be less likely due to colder

weather.  When I get a larger bike that can

handle a heated vest, I'll probably ride into the

40's.  As for now, it doesn't excite me.

Edited by JackFlash

Bigger tank. ;)

Surfed 'em online, but that's an expensive upgrade just for a supplemental fuel source. Think I'd rather tote a few small bottles on longer rides so I dont have to invest in another tank and seat

Edited by Hellmutt

I've been tempted to get a camping fuel bottle for on road emergency fuel. They seem relatively expensive for just a little bottle though.

61o2HAb1ySL._SY355_.jpg

I bought a 32 oz bottle and it works perfectly. Seals tight. A little tough to open. Like a child proof medicine bottle in concept. Push down and turn. I used it a couple of time when intentionally running my scooter out of fuel to learn range and fuel gauge needle position. Well worth the $20. Edited by turnone
  • Upvote 1

I have not used them but I have seen several bikes setup with Rotopax mounts. 

I had a closer look at these Rotopax.  I like them.  But, a 1 gal pack

for fuel is $60 and one for water is $40.  That doesn't include the

mount.  Perhaps if I was doing off road, I would invest in a setup.

I suppose a larger tank would work, but I'd still be limited to only

about 600 miles.  :D

IMG_0003.jpg

Edited by JackFlash

There is an easy safe and reliable solution to this issue.

It's called a siphoning hose.

I carry one with me all the time. I've never needed it but it has been used several times by others I'm riding with. Why make things so complicated?

A bottle with fluid in it isn't really that complicated. I'd argue siphoning fuel is more complicated than just pouring some into your tank.

Come to think of it, if I'm alone in the desert, what do I siphon?

Just going off my experience running out, mind you, but a tube would have been of zero use.

Edited by swingset

Go check out Tour Tanks.

http://www.tourtanks.com/

I got one and it adds 2.25gal to my ride. Book says 2 gal but I get the extra .25 in it all the time.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss89/myhondas/96magna/TourTank/img_9435_zpscd9apvlt.jpg

bunch of additional pics below to help show how it is done.

Edited by myhondas

Go check out Tour Tanks.

http://www.tourtanks.com/

+1 for this >>>   Tour Tanks are for those adventurous souls who

won't let gas stations dictate their destinations.

Every time I go to map out a ride, I'm looking for a fuel stop every 100 miles

for those that may need them.

A quick mount and quick connect, without tools, like an air line, would be an

excellent system for sport bikes and those not wishing to have an extra tank

mounted all the time.

I have traveled all over the United states on 2 wheels "many times off the beaten path" and have never ran out of gas, just seems like a worry over nothing to me........just sayin. Maybe the bikes I pick have a better range than some, or perhaps I just plan better or have been lucky at times too?

I have traveled all over the United states on 2 wheels "many times off the beaten path" and have never ran out of gas, just seems like a worry over nothing to me........just sayin. Maybe the bikes I pick have a better range than some, or perhaps I just plan better or have been lucky at times too?

I did notice that most of those concerned about spare fuel

tend to have adventure touring bikes.  I'm still learning this

stuff as I venture deeper into the world of motorcycling.

• 1 month later...

I have a 4.5 gal aux tank on my FJR that was created by one of our forum members. It gives me 11.1 gallons total and a comfortable 450 mile range, but I've gone as far as 490 between fuelings.

T6MiWq.jpg

I found a cheap bag on eBay and cut the bottom out of it so it slips right over the tank and makes it look like just another piece of luggage.

4Juhtn.jpg

I did this in June in 7 1/2 days, collecting Tour of Honor photos. The extra range allows me to concentrate on things other than fuel.

PuteZn.jpg

Now that I have this kind of range, I never want to go back to gassing up 4 or 5 times a day during a long ride.

I have a 4.5 gal aux tank on my FJR that was created by one of our forum members. It gives me 11.1 gallons total and a comfortable 450 mile range, but I've gone as far as 490 between fuelings.

T6MiWq.jpg

I found a cheap bag on eBay and cut the bottom out of it so it slips right over the tank and makes it look like just another piece of luggage.

4Juhtn.jpg

I did this in June in 7 1/2 days, collecting Tour of Honor photos. The extra range allows me to concentrate on things other than fuel.

PuteZn.jpg

Now that I have this kind of range, I never want to go back to gassing up 4 or 5 times a day during a long ride.

That's freaking awsome and you are a touring God Phil. How many miles you got on your FJ now?

94,000. I'll have 100k by the end of the year.

I was just reading up on your WV ride coming up in September. I might have to work that weekend, but if it works out that I don't, I'm going to ride down there, at least for a night. I should know in a day or two.

I was just reading up on your WV ride coming up in September. I might have to work that weekend, but if it works out that I don't, I'm going to ride down there, at least for a night. I should know in a day or two.

That would be awsome man would be good to hang out with you again if only for a day or two.

Are you going to the EOM rally in Lewisburg Sept 25-27?

Yep, I'll be in Savannah for training, then stopping at EOM on my way back north.

See you there?

If my schedule pans out, yes. Not 100% sure yet. I met a bunch of the guys from FJRForum at the Minerals Wells Rally earlier this year and it's a bunch of nice people.

• 2 weeks later...

The rotopax is an OK solution. The set up itself was very sturdy & secure but kind of a PIA if you're using it on a regular basis (which I was with my stocker tank). I ended up just buying a larger Acerbis fuel tank and sold the rotopax.