Body Blocks

imagineer

I'm sure this idea had been around since as long as folks have been working under cars, but I figured there might be even one person out there who would benefit from this PSA. 

If you are going to work under a car that is supported by jack stands, please take the time to make a set of "Body Blocks". These here are made from alternating layers of 2x12 & 2x4 with the wood grain going different directions on each layer. They're held together with 3" lumber screws attaching each layer. I opted to to not glue them together in case I want to add or remove a layer.

body%20blocks_zpsgw7awenr.jpg

To use them; once you have the car lifted and on the jack stands, simply slide these under the car where they will provide support should the car fall off the stands. They're not intended to provide continuous support of the car and are not to be used in place of proper jack stands. They are only there to give you a chance to escape should the car fall or the stands fail.

I recently gave my original set of body blocks to my son and I'm about to spend a lot of time under a British sports car and so I took a half hour this morning and made a new set.

This PSA is especially poignant today. Earlier this week, a local father of 2, 42 years old, was killed while working on his car. The car fell off the stands and pinned him to the garage floor. The poor guy wasn't killed quickly, rather suffocated slowly under the weight of the car while his wife and kids were inside the house.

Edited by imagineer
  • Upvote 1

Read the 1st post!          These are NOT meant to provide continuous support, but are there just in case the car falls off the stands.      30 minutes of time and some scrap lumber is cheap insurance you won't get pinned under a car.

Read the 1st post! These are NOT meant to provide continuous support, but are there just in case the car falls off the stands. 30 minutes of time and some scrap lumber is cheap insurance you won't get pinned under a car.

Or for less than 30 clams you can do it right.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4-ton-jack-stands-2-pk/p-00950182000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00950182000&pla=&kispla=00950182000P

He's suggesting that these be used in addition to jack stands. Read first post. Jack up car, lower onto jack stands, put wood blocks in place.

While I usually leave the jack in place to act as a secondary form of support even after lowering the vehicle onto stands, a jack is not meant to catch/support a falling vehicle, so I can see his point.

Did either of you try actually reading his post? After the image?

Edited by fizzer

Lol @ magdor and his meager reading comprehension.

Don't stress over the trolls dude, I think this is a good thing to have around. Here at ORDN there will always be someone who thinks they know better. Just keep on grooving and ignore them.

I just jack up the car, put jack stand under car, do what needs done to car, remove jack stand, lower jack. I don't see how these wood things change my odds of being crushed.

If the vehicle falls with enough force to destroy a steel jack stand, how is wood going to help?

Rule #1 NEVER get under a vehicle supported only only a jack (I think we can all agree on this one)

Rule #2 Shake the vehicle, lean on it, put it to the test with whatever you have supporting it.  This includes jackstands, lifts, ramps, etc...

Rule #2.5 if only raising one end of the vehicle, block the front and rear of the other axle, on AT LEAST one wheel.  

I will admit to being a little lax on #2 because I lift the same 10 or so vehicle models/platforms every day, and I know exactly where to lift them on a twin post lift.

I equate rule #1 to one of the cardinal rules for firearms: don't point the gun at anything that you don't want to destroy, don't put anything under a car supported only with a jack that you don't care if it gets destroyed.

The more supports you have to back up what ever you have supporting the vehicle the better.  

I just jack up the car, put jack stand under car, do what needs done to car, remove jack stand, lower jack. I don't see how these wood things change my odds of being crushed.

If the vehicle falls with enough force to destroy a steel jack stand, how is wood going to help?

LOLOL

So, you leave all the weight on the jack, place stands there with no load, just in case car falls? Brilliant!

Car should be lowered onto stands, checked for stability, then jack removed... These are there in case the stands fail... There's no dropping of weight on anything, it's for situations where the stands might kick out if the weight is shifted wrong or if one fails and somehow retracts down.

Now to wait for your response that will explain why doing it your unsafe way is the best way and has always worked for you because cars don't shoot people in Ashtabula.

What kind of shit Jacks are you people using? I've never had one fail catastrophic, one cheap one I used back in the day would slowly drift down over a matter of hours, but how are you people getting these things to fall over? I've had a bumper jack fall over, but who uses those anymore?

Now why won't a jack stand work for this "body block" idea?

What kind of shit Jacks are you people using? I've never had one fail catastrophic, one cheap one I used back in the day would slowly drift down over a matter of hours, but how are you people getting these things to fall over? I've had a bumper jack fall over, but who uses those anymore?

Now why won't a jack stand work for this "body block" idea?

so you're relying on hydraulics, or a rubber seal to hold up the vehicle, even after you admit you've had them "drift down"? Special kind of stupid right there.

"I miss America"

so you're relying on hydraulics, or a rubber seal to hold up the vehicle, even after you admit you've had them "drift down"? Special kind of stupid right there.

"I miss America"

Well, Miss America, I've never had one fail. So I must be doing something right if I've been doing this for 24 years.

The only time I've used "jack stands" to hold up a vehicle was if I needed to lift multiple sections at a time, which is maybe 1% of all the things I've ever done. Front axle swap on a beetle comes to mind.

Well, Miss America, I've never had one fail. So I must be doing something right if I've been doing this for 24 years.

The only time I've used "jack stands" to hold up a vehicle was if I needed to lift multiple sections at a time, which is maybe 1% of all the things I've ever done. Front axle swap on a beetle comes to mind.

Woah...  Duane...  PLEASE stop!  I truly don't want to hear that a jack fails and pins you under a car.  I do this for a living, and I get paid flat rate, the quicker I get a job done the better, and I will NOT compromise on properly supporting a vehicle.

Read the manual that came with you jack.  I'm SURE it say that it is only a lifting device, to properly support it after lifting it.

Jacks are used for lifting the car.

Jack stands are used for supporting the car while you work on it.

The wood things are used to keep the car from sqooshing you if the car slips off of a jack stand.  I have been fighting a stuck bolt with a 3' breaker bar and had the car move on the jack stand.  I won't lie. I peed a little.  Now, I always throw at least one tire under the frame.  If it comes off of the jack stand, at least it won't come all the way down on me.  The wood is probably a better idea.  Thanks for the tip!

Edited by okeefe01

I still don't see a reason to lower the jack. If the jack fails, the car drops 1/4 inch onto the jack stand, I then remove myself from underneath the vehicle and investigate why the jack dropped, which is entirely hypothetical, because I've never had a jack drop a car onto the jack stand.

I like how it says never to change a tire on the highway, I bet they want you to wear eye protection while jerking off, too.

Edited by magley64

I still don't see a reason to lower the jack. If the jack fails, the car drops 1/4 inch onto the jack stand, I then remove myself from underneath the vehicle and investigate why the jack dropped, which is entirely hypothetical, because I've never had a jack drop a car onto the jack stand.

I like how it says never to change a tire on the highway, I bet they want you to wear eye protection while jerking off, too.

Hmmm...  Maybe because a jack is typically on wheels and can move (unless it's a bottle jack which has a small footprint that wouldn't be very stable)?  There's also the (HUGE) possibility of the jack slipping on the frame or body and not being over the jackstands any longer.

Changing a tire? Wasn't even aware anything made in the last 5 years even had spare tires. I thought they all came with run flats or a can.of sealant and a 12v compressor

Not all, by far.  Also, not everyone drives a vehicle that's 5 years or newer.