Opinions on this please?

claine650

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5023840032.html

So I'm moving to Denver in 12 days, been seriously considering picking up some sort of dual sport/adventure style bike when I get out there. Been browsing denver CL to see what the market and pricing is like. This Aprilia popped up and I must say I'm intrigued for 1k... anyone have any experience with this bike or thoughts/opinions. I'm really shooting from something newer and more in the 4-5k range once I've saved up. But this thing looks really fun honestly, especially for how cheap I could get on it.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. : I wish there was a denverriders.net that was even a smidgen of what this place is, gonna miss being able to ride with all the good people on here.

There are 3-4 members from OR in the Denver area - so no problems meeting up with peeps for rides.

What part of town are you going to live in?

ADVRider.com has a sectiuon for Colorado riders, see: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

There are 3-4 members from OR in the Denver area - so no problems meeting up with peeps for rides.

What part of town are you going to live in?

ADVRider.com has a sectiuon for Colorado riders, see: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Well that's cool, had no idea. Still planned on sticking around this forum anyhow. But I'll be right between Lakewood and Englewood just outside downtown.

Thanks for the link also, I'll have to check ADV. out, heard good things on here.

When I find a bike I've  never heard of before, I immediately go on eBay and see how many parts are listed.

That said, for $1000, you could part it out and probably break even if something catastrophic happens with engine internals...  I also like the idea of having a $1k bike for ADV rides, because it's going to hit the ground.  Not it might; it will.

If this is running for $1k (count on buying new tires, and be happily surprised if you don't need to), get it, ride it, and if you love ADV riding, then buy something nicer and break even selling it.

When I find a bike I've never heard of before, I immediately go on eBay and see how many parts are listed.

That said, for $1000, you could part it out and probably break even if something catastrophic happens with engine internals... I also like the idea of having a $1k bike for ADV rides, because it's going to hit the ground. Not it might; it will.

If this is running for $1k (count on buying new tires, and be happily surprised if you don't need to), get it, ride it, and if you love ADV riding, then buy something nicer and break even selling it.

Thanks for the advice and insight, I have similar thoughts. It definitely would get new tires and guy said it needs brakes, both of which I would expect to replace anyhow. But yeah for a cool grand, could easily not loose any money on it and have fun. If it's still there in 2 weeks I'll probably go get it, but depends how this move goes. Either way, you making the point that I should steer away from something too nice or expensive is good, I'm thinking I should indeed start on something cheap and see how it goes before I upgrade down the road. Thanks!

Parts would be my biggest concern.

Same here, parts and what is apparently a common annoyance "aprilia maintenance". Although to me if it's a challenge, it ends up being more gratifying.

It is new enough that parts seem to be available, and of the reviews I have read on this particular bike, everyone says it's a blast to ride and pretty fast on the street.

Edited by claine650

Sounds like it shares some parts with bmw f650.

Looks like more of a tourer than a dual sport trail bike. 90/10 maybe

Consider comparable bikes after you add the cost of maintenance, brakes and maybe new tires to the purchase price.

At least it has FI, But fuel may have gummed up since last fall.

A 50hp thumper can be fun with the right gearing.

A dr650 could come in 60lbs lighter but then is carbureted.

Sounds like it shares some parts with bmw f650.

Looks like more of a tourer than a dual sport trail bike. 90/10 maybe

Consider comparable bikes after you add the cost of maintenance, brakes and maybe new tires to the purchase price.

At least it has FI, But fuel may have gummed up since last fall.

A 50hp thumper can be fun with the right gearing.

A dr650 could come in 60lbs lighter but then is carbureted.

Yes, your right, not really a dual sport but labeled as enduro/offroad. Watched some offroad videos of them on the tube and it looks like so much fun and very capable.

It is carbureted though, I would rather have FI, but not that big a deal.

I'm not dead set on it, don't know if it'll be sold by the time I can buy it anyway, will be looking at real dual-sport dirtbikes though also cuz I think I'd rather start with one of those if I can find the right one.

Edited by claine650

Chad:  I know nothing about that particular bike, but having spent quite a bit of time riding the single-track trails and high pass jeep/quad roads, that doesn't look like anything I would pick for a DS bike to ride CO.  First thing that hits me is too much plastic….although I realize once you fall over enough and tear it off, it becomes a nekkid.  I'd wait until you spend some time out there and even go so far as to do some rentals and ride the local terrain.  If it was me buying, I'd get something with FI to account for the large fueling requirements of altitudes ranging from 5000' to almost 14,000'.  I'd get a bike that was plateable, i.e., with lights and signals and mirrors, because you will be connecting trails by road.  I'd get something dead reliable because you REALLY don't want to be sitting on a high ridge with a dead bike and a storm moving in.  And I'd chose to pay a little more for lighter vs heavier so you can sample some of the sweet technical single-track in addition to the bigger trails.  I had a DRZ400 that had some light mods for riding the rough stuff--skid plate, folding shifter, engine covers, bark busters, folding mirrors, pivot pegz--and it went everywhere the boys with the full-on KTM MX bikes went, albeit with a bit more sweat on my part.  The carb was a little glitchy in the higher elevations, but still worked OK and didn't cause any problems.  If I lived out there, I bet I'd get really good at re-jetting for the particular trail I was riding….

BTW, if I didn't already say it….color me jealous!!!

Chad: I know nothing about that particular bike, but having spent quite a bit of time riding the single-track trails and high pass jeep/quad roads, that doesn't look like anything I would pick for a DS bike to ride CO. First thing that hits me is too much plastic….although I realize once you fall over enough and tear it off, it becomes a nekkid. I'd wait until you spend some time out there and even go so far as to do some rentals and ride the local terrain. If it was me buying, I'd get something with FI to account for the large fueling requirements of altitudes ranging from 5000' to almost 14,000'. I'd get a bike that was plateable, i.e., with lights and signals and mirrors, because you will be connecting trails by road. I'd get something dead reliable because you REALLY don't want to be sitting on a high ridge with a dead bike and a storm moving in. And I'd chose to pay a little more for lighter vs heavier so you can sample some of the sweet technical single-track in addition to the bigger trails. I had a DRZ400 that had some light mods for riding the rough stuff--skid plate, folding shifter, engine covers, bark busters, folding mirrors, pivot pegz--and it went everywhere the boys with the full-on KTM MX bikes went, albeit with a bit more sweat on my part. The carb was a little glitchy in the higher elevations, but still worked OK and didn't cause any problems. If I lived out there, I bet I'd get really good at re-jetting for the particular trail I was riding….

BTW, if I didn't already say it….color me jealous!!!

Totally get what you're saying, I'm not set on that bike at all, just looks like a fun toy to try out. As well, I'm not exactly sure yet what kind of riding I will get into, but I do know I want to explore some offroad, just not don't know how much or rather how extreme. Overall, I'm definitely more interested in a dirtbike/dual-sport for exactly the reasons you had about occasionally riding the road to and from trails and not for commuting obviously, that's the SV's job in good weather. (Which btw, is gonna look brand spankin new again today once I get it back together [emoji16] )

Time will tell what my secondary bike ends up being, would love a FI dual-sport but might cost a little more than what I'm wanting to save for, plus I'm fine with mechanical work as its in my blood so I won't let carbs and tuning hold me back on a solid choice. Thanks for the advice and account of experience! Will be sure to send beautiful pictures to color you in all the way haha.

Edited by claine650

I would avoid that bike like the plague. I'm not hating on Aprilia, but fuck owning an Aprilia. Especially an "off-road" Aprilia.

Lol, that's what I've learned is a commonality.