Paint It Black

Staubig

This eternal PITA which is a ole' cb350 is in need of a new paint job on the tank. Matte Black is requested. I'm not above a rattle can masterpiece. Tips, suggestions, prices? This kid is on a budget.

Its currently Barney Purple, the PO painted over this beautiful turquoise color with spray paint. Painted over the petcock and everything. I'll keep the prepwork in mind. Debating a powder coating, but don't know what it'd cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for a satin instead of complete flat, looks much better IMO.

That's what mine is painted, though i had a friend do it who's painted many cars and is way more skilled than myself, I just don't have the patience or experience. As said, prep work and a good wet sand at the end is the ticket.

Oooh, that's a sexy color. Being that its an old cb350, black would NOT have been my choice, but its what dude wants. I'll have to expose him to these other options. thanks!

• Upvote 1

Best paint I've owned.... It's super low maintenance... I hit it with a spray detailer (matte specific detailer) and it looks brand new... Just have to buy matte safe soap and detailer and good to go... Wipes down easy, nothing really sticks to it, and best of all is it does not swirl like gloss paint

I recommend using the Preval sprayers. I used it with DuPont auto paint I got from Napa and it matched my previous paint perfectly. For not having a gun and compressor, it looks like OEM.

Less than $10 for one aerosol can and a jar. The aerosol canisters are like $7 a piece. Took 3 to paint my seat cowl and front fender.

I recommend using the Preval sprayers. I used it with DuPont auto paint I got from Napa and it matched my previous paint perfectly. For not having a gun and compressor, it looks like OEM.

Less than $10 for one aerosol can and a jar. The aerosol canisters are like $7 a piece. Took 3 to paint my seat cowl and front fender.

Now we're talking. Those sound perfect, thanks!

Make sure you thin the paint that you use according to the recommendations Preval gives on their packaging.

From Napa I picked up the base coat, top coat (flake), clear coat and a can of solvent. The solvent serves multiple purposes. You use it to thin the paint to the recommended thinness, but also spray it through the Preval system when you're done so that the paint doesn't dry and clog up the spray knob.

It's a very versatile system though. And I imagine you could spray just about anything through it. I'll take some pics of my fender when I get home, but it looks just as nice as it would have had I taken it to a shop. I was actually very surprised how well it turned out with my limited experience. I did a lot of research though.

Post up some pics once you get it finished!