Daytona 675

what

So... I've got the bug and I have a feeling it's not going to be good for my wallet.

How big a mistake would it be for a 6'6 280lb rider to buy a Daytona? I've got the SV right now and I like it quite a bit but good lord it gets uncomfortable for my knees past an hour or so saddle time without a good 10 minute walking stretch break. Looking around, it seems the peg height / seat height combo of the Daytona would give me a pretty good amount of leg room compared to the SV but I figured I would see if any people with actual experience on the bike had anything to say or any other suggestions. I'd like to stay away from i4's... the other bikes I have been eyeballing are the fz09, street triple and RC51 SP2.

I'm 6'4" 280 ish and had a TL1000 it was taller with nice room to the pegs. I did a few 500 mile days on it with no problems. I'm in love with my big boned sport touring machine right now (Concours 1400) PLENTY of room and sit nice and tall. Another great option for us tall guys are ADV bikes(multistrada, super ten, v strom, tiger) lots of room there too.

Never rode a Daytona but I've sat on plenty and they disappear underneath me and my knees are flush with thr top of the tank.

Edited by 2talltim

ADV bikes don't fit my tastes sadly. Looking for something nice in the twisties/for track days that is at least a bit more comfortable than the SV, and if not more comfortable at least has a little more oomf when I want to get going in short order.

I guess I'll take a day and go sit on some bikes and see what feels good. That probably should have been step #1 but it's late and everywhere is closed. :p

Edited by what

I agree with Tim on the adv bikes having tall rider versatility, and the Vstrom is likely the least expensive of the shortlist. Other members here that have/had them, seem to like them from what I've read. The sport tour bikes are a comfortable option too, and you get more for your money with those, in my opinion.

Thought about a VFR? They aren't I4's, and have a bit less aggressive ergos as the Daytona.

I'm only 6ft so I cant really advise you like other's may - but I do have Buell drop pegs on my Ninja to give me an extra inch+ and it does help.

This site is actually what got me thinking about the Daytona again... The ergos are actually very similar to the nakeds (street triple, fz09) when it comes to knee bend.

Hellmutt,

I've looked at VFR's and haven't ruled out a bike like that necessarily. My hesitation with a sport tourer is taking them onto the track and feeling lacking. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds since these are machines designed for a specific purpose but that won't stop me from looking.

Think I'm gonna run over to the eurodealer east of town tomorrow and sit on a Daytona and a street triple then maybe go check out some Yamaha and/or Honda action.

*wanted to clarify that I don't think I would find the VFR lacking in performance, I was referring more toward the riding position and so on.

Edited by what

I ride an SV also, and can relate. I have rearsets, on the lowest setting with is probably close to stock height and also get knee stiffness. But I'll get a 2nd bike before I get rid of this one (got it too cheap, & first bike nostalgia)

I did recently ride a V-Strom 650 for about 2 minutes, has same motor as our SV minus the cams being slightly different. But I was shocked how high those sit, never even realized. And I think they are very sporty for a ADV bike, and Cleary it can hold its own in the twisties no problem, might not be for track days though unless you really wanted it to be I guess.

But coming from someone with similar experience and taste, I wouldn't rule out sporty-tourers or some adv bikes, they can change your perception with a quick ride or sitting on. I'm going to be looking in that department for my next bike likely, if not maybe a 675 for me also, they're pretty badass.

*wanted to clarify that I don't think I would find the VFR lacking in performance, I was referring more toward the riding position and so on.

The stock ergos on a VFR are damn near the same as on SV fwiw

Superduke?

Ever try pads on top the sv seat for less knee bend? (if you're going for the ass-up look anyway) There's also the buell footpeg mod for lower pegs but that also puts your feet out to the side more.

I'd grab a repairable 675 for a streettona proper quick. It's a shame to tear apart a clean bike but they don't seem to hold their value as well as I 4's or even the street3's

Edited by motocat12

Well if I see a viffer, I'll see how that feels too.

Gorilla hump look is unavoidable for me, I've accepted this and stopped caring :p

I'm 6-2, 225. I think i look like a monkey humping a football when I see picture of myself on my Sprint ST. That may be another option for you as well.

I was looking at sprints a bit today... they didn't have any out to sit on though. I think in the future I will move on to a Sport Touring bike but for now I'll probably stick with a sport/naked.

I tried out a Daytona, a Street Triple, an FZ09, and just for shits and giggles a 2012 ZX-6R. The Daytona and the ST definitely had the most leg room, which was a bit surprising to me as I figured the FZ would beat them both due to its more upright seating position.

The one thing I did notice about the Daytona is that I would have to scoot my ass WAY back in order to tuck in behind the windscreen. There wasnt much difference between seating position (weight on hands wise) between the SV and the Daytona for me.

I think I'm down to either a ST or a Daytona at this point. Might come down to what I can find quality + price wise on a used model.

ADV bikes don't fit my tastes sadly. Looking for something nice in the twisties/for track days that is at least a bit more comfortable than the SV, and if not more comfortable at least has a little more oomf when I want to get going in short order.

I guess I'll take a day and go sit on some bikes and see what feels good. That probably should have been step #1 but it's late and everywhere is closed. :p

You are a bit clueless on the ADV bikes, as most of us that own them can EASILY hang just fine with the sport bikes in the twisty bits. Then I will leave you in the dust when I decide to take that gravel or hard pack road off of the tarmac, and then I can head to the West or East coast in comfort as well. ;) Just sayin........

You are a bit clueless on the ADV bikes, as most of us that own them can EASILY hang just fine with the sport bikes in the twisty bits. Then I will leave you in the dust when I decide to take that gravel or hard pack road off of the tarmac, and then I can head to the West or East coast in comfort as well. ;) Just sayin........

Caught me. I was trying to get around saying I think they are ugly so I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Oh well.

I think if you gave a big sport tourer a chance now you would be impressed. Never thought I would like a big 600 to 700 lb road sofa, but they are so well balanced the weight disappears. Big man should be on a big bike.

c6d08cc749704b6051012e098f09a8a7.jpg

Going to check out a street triple R today.

and yeah, a sport tourer is on my wish list once I live somewhere that has a garage and I have a little bit more disposable income. 3 week motorcycle trip all over the country? why yes, yes I would love to do that.

I am nowhere near your size. Subtract 100 pounds and seven inches. (In height, you jerks. Get your minds out of the gutter!) But I have had a Daytona for years. I love it, but that's because I have three motorcycles. It is by far the one with the least mileage. I take it out for occasional summer sport rides and to the track. I think the comfort issue is not the footpegs, but the low clip-ons.

Things I love about my Daytona:

• That engine
  • That it's nine years old (I have the first-year 2006 model, bought in 2007) but it doesn't look badly dated, which is rare among sport bikes
  • Handles like a dream

Things I hate about my Daytona:

• Riding it slowly
  • Riding it in traffic
  • Riding it long distance (I do this now and then and later wonder why I'm such an idiot with a short memory)
  • It handles so well, it's not much fun to ride on the street; I have to ride at "arrest me now and impound my motorcycle" speeds, far outriding my sight distance on most twisty roads, just to get the Daytona to break a sweat; it belongs on the track

I love mine but it would make me miserable if it were my only bike.

Well, it was an impulsive day today. Found a nice 2010 Striple R for sale... I pick it up Monday.

Lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions/insight guys, I appreciate it. You did help sway my decision.

Edited by what