School me on motorcycle locks

silentcropduster

I'm sure some have you have read in the past the guy on Reddit AMA that use to be a bike thief and shared his "how to not get your shit stolen" idea's. If you haven't read it, please do it's a a real eye opener.

I am in need of a disc lock or U lock to lock my bike, as well as helmet and jacket. What do you guys use on your bikes if anything? I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3Q4XO3VNRL250&coliid=IFDJ8A20FMB8F#customerReviews

Seem's like a pretty solid lock. The other issue i have is storage, my FZ1 doesnt have enough storage for much anything else besides the PCIII and tool kit in the tail section.

Any serious input is highly apprecieated.

I use State Farm and just leave the key in all my bikes. So much easier

whats your exact address again please ?

but since all locks can be defeated it's a matter of making it more trouble than it's worth, that's what I'm getting at

Edited by silentcropduster

Bike is stored in a garage, don't commute or park where it might get stolen by chance? Cortech makes great tailbags, and you also have the option of soft or hard panniers as well. As for helmets and jackets, get to the Pony and try a bunch on.......lots of choices for lots of different prices.

Edited by Pokey

If someone wants it they'll take it. I leave the key in mine in a closed garage. Not that anyone would even want a naked bike with a small frame and a round headlight. Not that any typical the if would even know what it is.

riders discount came thru w a killer deal the Xena xx6 for like $55 shipped, I know nothing will prevent someone from stealing my bike if they want it that bad, but it's about keeping honest people honest. Anything to help deter them or take them more time - can mean the different bet my shit getting stolen, or not. I do have state farm with a $250 deductible though :crazy:

Value vs risk. Parting a bike out when stolen works best with popular or high end newer bikes. Those need alarm systems and/or tracking devices. The rest of us need less. Most stolen bikes are lifted into trucks or trailers or simply rolled away. Any lock/chain/cable makes it not worth the effort. Particularly anything with a motion alarm that makes noise.

I go to Lowes and buy a long heavy cable (The type with loops at both ends) and a strong lock. Attach the bike to something that won't move. Even attach two motorcycles to each other.

In Europe (and Great Britain) everyone has a front disk lock. Bikes there have a bad habit of rolling down hill and never being seen again. So the concept is relevant. You need something quick and easy when away from home. Get one that has a motion alarm and a lanyard for the handlebars so you won't ever forget it's still attached (You can make your own lanyard.) Very bad if you try to ride away with one on there. I wouldn't get too attached to finding the best one out there, just avoid the ones reviews say are junk.

Offhand from reviews I'd consider one of the Zena disk locks or a Squire (British) for the U clamp style. Check the fit carefully, they just won't fit some bikes.

At a bare minimum I'd get a small Master Lock Self-Coiling Combination Lock With Cable. (5 bucks, get two) That would work with holding down jackets, helmets, or the bike.

On the good side, crash and theft rates are low for Ohio. But high for big cities elsewhere. I'd definitely have something along if on the East or West coast or in Las Vegas.

Edited by ReconRat

Don't get a key lock. It took me a $6 set of shitty Chinese picks and a 5 minute youtube video to learn how to pick a master 5 pin tumbler lock in under a minute. Get a good strong combo lock.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

Even most round tubular locks can be picked easily. I've seen it done in seconds, with a rolled up calling card. And with a gutted BIC pen plastic. I think the newer ones are resistant to that, but dunno for sure.

Combination locks, those will open in a few minutes also, if a person can feel the tumblers move.

Guess I like motion alarms then. They don't give enough time to figure out a lock. But those often give a lot of false alarms.

I've worked long enough in and around theft prevention to say most of it will be cutters or hacksaw on the chain or cable. Something simple anyone can do. Brute force is also popular. As we say, we're slowing them down, if they really want it, they will find a way.

At home I keep a camera and/or motion detector aimed at the driveway and/or motorcycle. Silent alarm inside wakes me up. If you can keep the stupid critters wandering around at night from setting it off. Serious... stupid dogs cats coyotes possums raccoons and a few deer move around constantly at night.