PIRC May 23rd-24th with N2

Jester_

How rider friendly is N2 toward SM??? just didn't want to show up and they stick me in Novice group.......I don't really don't give 2 shit about not being able to ride in advance group because of top speed, Just wondering if anyone knew how they run things.

Hit them up on their forum or through their contact form and explain your situation before hand just to be sure, but I can't see there being an issue. If nothing else, they might want to go out with you for the first session to observe. 

Intermediate is no different with N2 than MotoSeries or STT, there is a broad range of skills and bikes.  Well, there is the "wave by" rule difference in intermediate.  

^ also no passing in the corners.

Inside passes are a no-no, inside on the brakes need to be "complete" by turn in (your tail should be in front of their nose)....outside passes are OK.

"wave by" rule: you are only allowed to pass a control rider after they have signaled you past.  Sounds annoying as hell, but (for the most part) their CR's are constantly looking back and readily wave people by.  I'd say 90% of my 1.5 days in intermediate, the CR looked back and waved me by before I was inhibited at all.

They will sometimes hold off on a wave by to spread traffic, or tell a rider to dial it back with a "pat down" motion (how can you tell a rider behind you needs to dial it back? beyond me).  Received a couple of the "pat down" motions the first day, followed the CR for a lap and got the wave by.

By far the most frustrating part of the "wave by" rule (for me) was being stuck behind a rider on a much faster bike who parked in every corner and was being followed by a control rider also on a big bike.  At that point, the CR might as well have a big "STOP" sign on their vest for every braking zone.

we shall see.....

Really hesitant to "spend" days on the North track, when you get 90% of the North track at PIRC full.

Im using the days we have towards the full track and am just going to pay for the two days here. Its only $165 per day if you have an elite membership. 

Edited by Jester_

Thanks Raceday Ryan!!.........Since I'm on a slower speed bike on the straights, my luck i'll get stuck behind everyone that parks it in the corners and will get into trouble all day.

I'm glad I asked for information, saved myself a few headaches.......Since there is no MS at PIRC for now are there any trackday groups/Org. that have similar passing rules???

I wasn't sure about Mid-Ohio passing rules either when I showed up for the first time in "I" group.......so far nobody has said anything; I'm sure they were watching me. I'm too old for unsafe passes and like everyone else I have to work the next day and can't afford to hurt myself or anyone else and their equipment......

Edited by Chuck Clay

I wouldn't rule out N2 if you want to ride PIRC.  The parking problem isn't an issue under normal circumstance, just pass on the brakes or outside....it was just the CR being there and not knowing I was behind (it was only 1 lap, but I would have stuck the pass on the other rider in 1-2 turns max).  With your bike and the unique sound, I think you will have even less of an issue.

haha, I'm happy with my riding, but I'm far from "fast" compared to most CR's....tons of room for improvement.

What is the "wave by" rule???? LOL

If no corner passing in "I" group then I better stay home........

Chuck, Dan spotted/bumped this thread over on N2's forum, seems pretty lame. http://forum.n2td.org/index.php?threads/motard-track-days.35531/

Hopefully this helps -MOTARD EXCLUSION

Motards are prohibited from N2 track events on all but the following tracks: Pocono - East, Summit - Jefferson(Extended 1.8 Mile), Summit - Shenandoah, Barber, Talladega GP, Summit - Jefferson(Extended 1.8 Miles), Talladega GP - Race Licensing School. Riders attempting to attend events with a motard at other tracks will be turned away during tech and registration with no credit given for the day.

Thanks for posting.......that's funny; I bet I run faster and more consistent lap times than 95 % of "I" group riders on any track. I run consistent lap time of 1.07 at Pirc or even at Mid-ohio  lap times in the 1.44 range even in traffic.

Guess that's why I asked the question on here because I message N2 a few days ago and no response yet......just looking for some track time testing at PIRC before whipping up on a Aprilia 550 motard in WERA Clubman on a old school 2 stroke......LOL

Thanks for posting.......that's funny; I bet I run faster and more consistent lap times than 95 % of "I" group riders on any track. I run consistent lap time of 1.07 at Pirc or even at Mid-ohio  lap times in the 1.44 range even in traffic.

imagine what you could do on a PROPER trackbike!  (poke, poke)

pretty sure me and Zack will be there on Sunday in "I" group. I loath the wave-by, but i guess i gotta play by the rules.

I finally got a green light to run PIRC with N2 from one of the directors that called me.......but it's true no Motards allowed at PIRC. He stated this includes all 450cc singles and below because of straightway speed and lap times. He seemed to know my lap times from MYLAPS and said there shouldn't be an issue with top speed or lap times.

Thanks, to whoever talked with them.......LOL

I finally got a green light to run PIRC with N2 from one of the directors that called me.......but it's true no Motards allowed at PIRC. He stated this includes all 450cc singles and below because of straightway speed and lap times. He seemed to know my lap times from MYLAPS and said there shouldn't be an issue with top speed or lap times.

Thanks, to whoever talked with them.......LOL

Awesome, will see you out there Chuck. 

N2 seems to be ran by a fairly level headed group of people, if you bring up a concern with them they will work with you to fix it if they can. 

Awesome, will see you out there Chuck. 

N2 seems to be ran by a fairly level headed group of people, if you bring up a concern with them they will work with you to fix it if they can. 

I know Jim, Will, and Rob from riding with them in the past.  They're just regular guys who love riding like everyone else here.  NESBA had a pretty firm "no supermotos unless it's at Summit Jefferson" rule.  "It's the Northeast SPORTBIKE Association, not the Northeast Supermoto Assosiation."  Etc.

That said, I think those guys learned some things from NESBA's financial problems, and they're not inclined to turn away riders and leave money on the table.

And therein lies the huge conflict of interest in running a trackday organization:  Do you stroke people's egos and sell slower riders spots in Advanced group to pad your bottom line, or do you take a hard line on safety and skill, keeping the truly fast riders happy, but virtually always leaving 60% of Advanced spots un-sold?

I feel like N2 is doing their best to find a compromise on a case-by-case basis that they're comfortable with from a financial and a safety perspective.  Glad you were able to speak to someone and get things worked out.

I talked with Will, he seemed to understand what I was saying and I Fully understood his safety concerns.....He was saying a cr500 though is not your typical motard, a modified one is capable of making some power and speed.( mine is very close to a stock SV in top speed)

PIRC is not a big of a handicap for a fast motard.......I think Mid-Ohio backstraight is the biggest handicap for me on any track. (my opinion).

I don't care to ever run a trackday in "A" group, no ego deflate here.....not scared, just could care less about it( I've many times in Lt.-Wt. race group). Just the passing rules would be better for me......or my case getting passed.

It will be fun.......and i'll try my best to be good! LOL

If you are in Intermediate group, just talk to the control riders ahead of time.   In the morning they will be in "referee" mode, but once everyone gets rolling, I have seen them go out of their way to pull other riders off line so faster people on slower bikes can get by.

There was a LOT of that going on when Kaleb De Keyrel was out in Intermediate on a Moriwaki 250 at Putnam years ago.  the "I" group rules were really tough on him, so the control riders were doing their best to help him by people, and then let him run away on clear track.